BANNED

Default Will all the characters returning from dead be darker?

The increasingly darker behavior of various x men who have returned from dead seems to be a trend. take jean who advocated a unrealistic proposition which was along the lines of Cyclops coupled with depression with regard to Jean feeling manipulated along with the O4( not so much of a dark turn with her but still she is using telepathy in ways she previously didn't) and Charles Xavier becoming a agent working from the shadows using increasingly grey tactics not to mention whatever going on with wolverine and the cuckoos. does this mean that whoever returns from the dead will have a increasingly dark turn in future?

But really, my personal theory is that they’re not so much darker as they’ve run out of f*cks to give. I figure that characters who have never been dead tend to fear it, and they’re a bit more cautious. Those that have “been there, done that” no longer fear it, and that may bring about a very different attitude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Yer bonkers and you need a sandwich.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

None. Coming back from death should be a positive and revitalizing experience. To be better and fix everything done wrong in the first chance.

The problem with the X-Men is that they have been around for so long and have become predictable unless they change. Characters who die and come back to life are an easy way for the writers to introduce some drastic changes in their personalities, worldviews and values. And these 'plot twists' make for some interesting stories...and as readers, we can't predict what will happen in the next issue. So yes, it's a trend that is going to continue because putting us in a position where we can't easily guess what will happen next is good for sales.
    But I feel like it's a cheap trick that is used instead of actually showing us some good character development. I'm curious to see if this applies to Wolverine when he comes back since he already had that 'out of f*cks to give' attitude.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

On the one hand, I agree that coming back from the dead should have some kind of consequences, you can't just shrug it off as another day on the job. But we're now at a stage when deaths followed by the inevitable returns a few years down the line have become so predictable that it doesn't even make sense to explore any kind of consequence: let's just leave the character "dark" for a while until they're suddenly reverted to their former self.