Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb If You Wrote Comics Exacalibur

I have not seen of these in a while and I think it is a good time for another "If You Wrote Comics thread" and this time just imagine if Marvel gave you full reign to do anything you want to with Excalibur. A couple of writers in Marvel seem interested in an Excalibur revival and I think with the surplus of characters in the X-men universe it would pretty good idea to have Excalibur book around again. So feel free to write out what you'd do to Excalibur, their rogue's gallery, and supporting characters and maybe figure out what new direction you want to take Excalibur in or maybe something that will renew Excalibur for the modern era and fix a problem or two that may exist.

download.jpg

* As small side note what make this these threads fun is details. So while a roster is cool why you are putting that person on the roster is way better for the topic

So here is my attempt which is decent example

Creative team

Writer Jordan White
    Penciler Carmen Nunez Carnero

Roster

Psylocke- With her being in her old body again with gazillion X-men around a think that a book like this would be a great place for to be in and get use. She would be a good choice co-leader with Nightcrawler

NightCrawler- I think since coming back to life Nightcrawler hasn't really had a solid role in the X-men and if the X-men can't use him right Excalibur certainly can. A co leadership with Psylocke is better than what is happening with him now.

Prestige-With Jean around she is going to be overshadowed this would be a great place and she is one of the staple members in Excabilur history.

Banshee- He is alive and this just seems like a good fit on the team.

Meggan- Excalibur staple I am not super high on her but her presence makes it feel like an Excalibur book. As you will see later there is another character I strongly consider over her

Colossus- Another character that feels like they aren't being used quite right on the X-men. I think being able to do more stories in Russia and European setting would be better for the character

Thunderbird III
    Dr. Faiza Hussain(Excalibur)
    Blade

I would probably create new characters but since that is a little hard to pull off in a thread like this I choose a couple of underused characters and Blade. Every team needs a Wolverine and Blade is my Wolverine. Thunderbird has the Psylocke connection, Dr. Faiza Hussain is an interesting character and is the wielder of the legendary sword.

Excalibur_(Earth-12131)_001.jpg

Side Characters

Scarlet Witch- Almost put her on the main roster, I would want this book to have success and using big names always helps. She is a big gun I think this X-book team would be the best fit for her. I think Nightcrawler and her had good chemistry in the cartoon. Plus I am going to ignore the retcon so she would bring classic Magneto shenanigans as well.

Captain Britain- I think he is an important character but I would want him around sparingly

Pete Wisdom- I like his tie to MI-13 and history with the squad.

Kitty Pryde- I almost thought about putting her on the team, She has enough ties with everyone to where she would be a good fit

Villians

Azazel, Juggernaut and Black Tom Cassidy, Proteus, Mojo, Morgan le Fay, Dracula

Nothing really special about this group of characters couple of classic X-men villains and mystical threats.

The Pitch

X-men in Europe? I don't have a super pitch for this book. The X-universe has room and the characters for this and stories have always come from an American perspective. It is nice to see the concept explore from a different lens than the American perspective.

Problems with past books

The Roster Excalibur gets a little too cute with the roster makeup,The concept works but they forget that star power is needed. As long the book remembers to keep characters the fans will come to see the book should do good.
    Excalibur.jpg

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

I would have a team consisting European mutants with a little of the 3 previous teams: Pete Wisdom, Sage, Nightcrawler, Hub, Cap B, Psylocke and Beak.

Also I would install an Asian team with T- Bird III, Armor, Karma, Omega Sentinel, Red Lotus, Surge and Sunfire.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

My Excalibur would be the protector of Earth against otherworldly threats. Britain would be right in the middle of a passageway to the Omniverse, and Excalibur would be there to guard it.

For the team itself, I thik Brian and Meggan are musts. The team is a family centered around them.
    Faiza Hussain would be one of the most important members as well. In a way, I think her and Brian should be co-leads (I woul even call the book Captain Britain & Excalibur). They'd represent the classic and the new.
    Pixie would be there as a more magically-oriented Kitty type.
    Pete Wisdom as the wildcard.
    Wolsfsbane and Cypher as teachers at the Braddock Academy and constant allies.
    + Widget, obviously.

I would also like Betsy to have a constant presence, but her place to me is with the X-men. I'd like her to be a member of Astonishing alongside Dazzler.

As for creative team, I'd have Ewing and RB Silva or Nick Bradshaw. I'd like them to try a new spin on the Alan Davis vibe and keep the book very off beat and fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Wolsfsbane and Cypher as teachers at the Braddock Academy and constant allies.
    + Widget, obviously.
    The idea of Braddock Academy is such awesome idea

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    The idea of Braddock Academy is such awesome idea
    It already exists in the comics. It was established around the time Wolverine created the "Jean Grey School"

For me, I would love a mix of old and new characters to be in a re-forged Excalibur team:
    Captain Britain
    Meggan
    Kylun
    Pixie
    Pete Wisdom
    Spitfire
    Tangerine
    Faisa Hussain

Guest stars: Lionheart, Psylocke (when needed or visiting), Black Knight, Elsa Bloodstone, Micromax, Feron, Widget

Villains: A combination of old and new that threaten the UK and Europe. The Technet, mystical threats, aliens, etc

Great thread.

My team would consist of only European characters. As much as I would love Psycloke to be on the team, I still think she belongs with the X-Men and should be leading one of the main books by now.

- Colossus- Team Leader. I’m all about the evolution of characters to obtaining leadership roles. Piotr has been around since 1975. He isn’t incompetent to lead a team right? About time he does.

- Nightcrawler- Second in command. Piotr could certainly use the support of his friend who already has leadership experience. He’s been around the same amount of time as Piotr.

- Captain Britain- no brainer

- Meggan- No brainer

- Wolfsbane- Always felt she was better off being a European X-Man. Even when she was apart of X-Factor and the New Mutants back in the day.

- Siryn- I would’ve chosen Banshee, but I think Sean is better off in the main X-Men spotlight for now. He’s been gone too long now. A great opportunity for Terry to shine.

- Black Tom Cassidy- cuz ever team needs a reformed villain.

- Pixie- just to please younger fans.
    Favorite Characters: Wolfsbane, Storm, Psylcoke, Beast, Feral, Tempo, Nightcrawler, Quicksilver

Favorite Titles: X-Men Red, Legion of X, Marauders, Hellions

Forgot about the Braddock Academy.

Already posted this in the Betsy thread but Ill do it again with reasoning.

Lady London-Back in action while Cap Britain and Meggan have another baby.
    Colossus- For some muscle and I think he needs some time away from the X-Men.
    Cece Reyes-There to check up on the complications Meggan is having with her pregnancy. Also she would be a good straight man for this team.
    Jubilee-Was kind of in the area with Pixie and Chamber meeting Chambers family and taking Pixie to see hers.
    Pixie-Went on a trip with Jubilee and Chamber to go see their families. When suddenly a need for help came from the Braddock Manor. Good for zaney magic times.
    Chamber-Taking Jubilee to meet his friends and "family".

Edited like 15 times and can't decide on the 7th member Vincente, Kid Gladiator, Warbird, Sage, Lifeguard, M, Pete Wisdom, Cerise, Maggott, Broo and Banshee.
    Last edited by blinkingblah; 08-28-2018 at 08:11 AM.

I've been re-reading the original run and I had forgotten just how joyful and wonderful this title was. As a teenager this was my New Mutants replacement from all the grim and bleak X-Men titles of the time. Not to mention the art which was so beautiful and classy.

As for who would be in the group, I'd love to see the original team back. Think about it, Nightcrawler / Rachel dealing with their romance... Kitty having a "cool down" from her leaving Pitor at the alter (and getting her out of the leadership role which everyone would love)... would also allow some wonderful cameos and thoughtful reflection on how everyone's lives have changed since the original run. Oh and TechNet of course...

Team:
    Lady London (Betsy)
    Captain Britain (Brian)
    Spider-Woman (J. Drew)
    MicroMax
    Le Perigrine
    Prestige

Staff/security:
    Meggan
    Roger Docking
    Shamrock

Affiliate:
    Braddock Academy

Allies:
    Spitfire
    Union Jack
    X-Men

Base of Operations:
    Braddock Manor, England

You had me until Scarlet Witch.

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfPsylocke View Post
    Why?

I think it's genius.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Why?

I think it's genius.
    She is not a big gun. She’s not even a pocket knife. She’s barely a tin opener.

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfPsylocke View Post
    - She is the biggest mutant to never have a good X-men run

- She is Avenger in the movie universe and has a fanbase who would read a book for solely for her.

- She is from Europe

- She is a magic user,Excalibur stories tend to lean into the Supernatural and magic

- The Magneto family ties in mutant book are easy way to get stories,Also she is still "miss no more mutants" so that can still be discussed in books

- Lastly She is potential love interest for Nightcrawler, and Nightcrawler and her are Nocturne parents who was member Excalibur and that could make for interesting stories

In terms of story, She has probably the most potential of anyone I mention. Captain Britain, Nightcrawler, Psylocke, Scarlet Witch, Colossus and Kitty would be good base of main stream characters to keep the book out of cancellation range. Seems like a smart choice to me

She’s an evil witch.

An evil witch makes for an interesting story