Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Default Future tech you’d be excited to see happen in your lifetime.

Flying cars: Nothing would say your officially in the “future” quite like mass produced personalized flying vehicles.

De extinction: the ability to bring back extinct species. A more practical Jurassic Park. Imagine going to a national park Denali in Alaska and seeing beards of Woolly Mammoths. Sure some of the creatures would be dangerous, but that’s true of most wild animals.

Technology I’m more suspicious of

Advanced ai: I’m not sure society will react particularly well to the singularity. And that’s not even taking into consideration the rise of a malicious or indifferent Superintelligence. How would you even begin to control something that is more intelligent then you?

Flippant tampering with the human genome: This is the dark side of the same technology that would bring about de extinction. Is it really ethical to alter your genetic code for trivial reasons, knowing that you’ll pass down said tampering to your offspring?

BANNED

Growing clone bodies you can download your mind into.

FTL travel to kickstart space exploration for real.

A pill that increases empathy.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Stem cells that regrow teeth, or the hair cells in our inner ears, or the receptor cells in our eyes.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

A device that can bring out the inner peace in anyone, which has the ability to affect everyone.

Where is my goddamn jet pack? 1970's spy movies promised me jet packs. I feel cheated.

Better yet, where is my hetro-robot companion? My walking mp3 player that will be fueled by the strongest of malt-liquor & Nicaraguan cigars. We will travel to Vegas while vomiting our inner Fear & Loathing across the desert landscape.

As a conciliation option, a Kusinagi cyborg would also be acceptable.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Stem cells that regrow teeth, or the hair cells in our inner ears, or the receptor cells in our eyes.
    Yes please!

Also, gene therapy that slows, or even reverses aging effects. I don't ask for eternal life, just that the back end of it doesn't suck.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Tech I’m looking forward to: household robots( which probably only 10 or years away really).

Tech I’m dreading: the perfection of deep fake technology. (If you don’t know what that is look it up, it’s existance will cast a serious shadow over everything you see and hear in the future.)

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    Where is my goddamn jet pack? 1970's spy movies promised me jet packs. I feel cheated.

Better yet, where is my hetro-robot companion? My walking mp3 player that will be fueled by the strongest of malt-liquor & Nicaraguan cigars. We will travel to Vegas while vomiting our inner Fear & Loathing across the desert landscape.

As a conciliation option, a Kusinagi cyborg would also be acceptable.
    The jet packs and robot friends already exist!

Before I get too old please

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    The jet packs and robot friends already exist!
    Until I can pick them up at Costco, I'll remain unsatisfied & friendless.

I would love to see something that could cool down our planet!

Oh, Jurassic Park totally needs to happen.

Genetic tampering is tricky. On one hand, it's great to be able to eliminate some hereditary diseases - on the other, there's a blurry line between fixing a genuine defect which could seriously impact or shorten life, and tweaking someone to be less freckly, slightly taller, better looking, cleverer etc. I think this kind of thing could make the gulf between rich and poor much more wide reaching in a really bad way.

I also slightly worry about medicine. Absolutely, it's terrible if someone dies young, and we should fight that as much as we can, but the world has limited space. We need people to grow old and die to make room for the next generation. At what point are we in danger of extending lives too much?

Good call on deep fake technology. It's great to see a young Kurt Russell walking around in GoTG 2, but that could get really dangerous.

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Regrow hair in your ears? What’s all that about?

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    I would love to see something that could cool down our planet!
    Okay. You win The Stop It Children! Let's Be Responsible About This Aladdin's Lamp Thing! Award for this thread. I feel shame for not having thought of that.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Growing clone bodies you can download your mind into.
    Well. That's not morally...fraught ... a'tall.