Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Should Paramount go ahead with Star Trek 4 without Chris Pine as Captain Kirk?

I saw the news that two Chris's (Pine and Hemsworth) have walked away from Star Trek 4 due to money. However, I also saw that Paramount wants to go ahead with the movie without them. So, what should they do? Have a movie without the character of Captain James Tiberius Kirk or recast the role? Look, I think this is actually a great opportunity for Paramount to radically change their new Star Trek timeline, which in my opinion has been a failure. The solution is simple: go back to the original timeline. Use characters from The Next Generation TV series, or even Deep Space 9, and fix the damage that Nero did when he destroyed Vulcan and the timeline. Go back to what works instead of this rubble that JJ Abrams did before he went to mess up Star Wars. This is the right thing to do.

BANNED

Yes. Hollywood in general needs to understand they can recast major characters in a franchise without having to reboot.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Farael the Fallen View Post
    I saw the news that two Chris's (Pine and Hemsworth) have walked away from Star Trek 4 due to money. However, I also saw that Paramount wants to go ahead with the movie without them. So, what should they do? Have a movie without the character of Captain James Tiberius Kirk or recast the role? Look, I think this is actually a great opportunity for Paramount to radically change their new Star Trek timeline, which in my opinion has been a failure. The solution is simple: go back to the original timeline. Use characters from The Next Generation TV series, or even Deep Space 9, and fix the damage that Nero did when he destroyed Vulcan and the timeline. Go back to what works instead of this rubble that JJ Abrams did before he went to mess up Star Wars. This is the right thing to do.
    For various reasons, I didn't see the last film. I was told that it wasn't good and it was really nothing but the 'Disney-fication of ST. It was just an empty popcorn film. Them re-casting the film will or should be based entirely on how much Pine was a factor in drawing people in. For me, I've never been a fan of Pine. If he's in something I was planning on watching. Sure I'll see the film. But I would not go out of my way just to watch him.

Keep Pine.

Recast Hemsworth.

I have absolutely loved all 3 of the Trek films with Pine in them and think that if he doesn't return they should move forward with a brand new crew. While I like a lot of the characters in the films Pine is the glue that kinda holds that whole cast together. With the tragic passing of Anton Yelchin and now Pine leaving it will just feel too different and other than Zoe Saldana I am not sure that any of the actors in the films is good enough to carry the films. If they can't get Pine to come back they should just go with the tarrantino film with a brand new crew.
    "You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged"- CAPT. Picard

It's doable without Pine. Spock and Ahura can theoretically carry the film well enough.

Replace Pine with Armie Hammer, replace Hemsworth with Alexander Skarsård.

Pine is already a recast of Captain Kirk. Recast him again.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

They already have to figure out what they are going to do with Chekov after the sad passing of Anton Yelchin, so replacing your lead actor also is a very bad move. They would be better off losing Hemsworth. He is not a big draw outside of Thor anyway.

Boisterously Confused

Sure. It always felt to me like the reboot franchise wasn't built around the kind of established actor interactions that TOS films were, but around adaptations of the TOS performances. So it's not like we're losing the kind of nuanced chemistry that Shatner's Kirk and with Nimoy's Spock or Kelly's McCoy.

They probably should just cancel the film. The films are progressively doing worse and the whole point of them offering less money for the two actors was to obviously keep the budget in check due to the diminishing returns. Which is understandable. I'm shocked they even wanted to DO a fourth one. But now that it's lost its main star, it sounds crazy that they would want to move forward given the financial losses.

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    For various reasons, I didn't see the last film. I was told that it wasn't good and it was really nothing but the 'Disney-fication of ST. It was just an empty popcorn film. Them re-casting the film will or should be based entirely on how much Pine was a factor in drawing people in. For me, I've never been a fan of Pine. If he's in something I was planning on watching. Sure I'll see the film. But I would not go out of my way just to watch him.
    IMO it was kind of the closest in tone to the original series, (although it still has some of "cool" elements of the Abrams films such as Kirk riding a motorcycle/Beastie Boys etc). Unlike the other Abrams films-and a good chunk of the rest of the films-there's no threat to Earth, and even some nods to series mythology (Mostly ENTERPRISE, which is still 'canon' in the Kelvinverse).

One of the main problems with this development is that it's been stated the intention was for the two Kirks to team up, which is kind of weird since Hemsworth's George Kirk died in the opening of the first Abrams film-but since then of course Hemsworth became a big star since then. I suppose they'd have him time-travel, or reveal that somehow George was captured by the Klingons (Although it's mostly just implied in the finished film, Nero and his crew were captured by the Klingons after the Narada was damaged in the deleted scenes)
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

One guy's take...

In this instance, they are a few films into a "Version"s life cycle. Unfortunately, one of the folks involved in bringing these roles to life has passed. At least one of you main cast might be done.

You get to a point where you should be considering if just letting a version of the story wind down might not be the correct move.

Obviously, that hinges on if each of the folks we are discussing stay gone or if they get a better offer that brings them back into the picture.
    Last edited by numberthirty; 08-19-2018 at 06:08 PM.

They were already going to do it without a Chekov. I'm sure they could manage without two other people.
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

Make Sulu a captain, follow him and new characters, Enterprise crew has a cameo. John Cho should've been the lead in big film already, anyway!

Star Trek shouldn't be tied down by a single, main cast anyway.