Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Farael the Fallen View Post
    I saw the news that two Chris's (Pine and Hemsworth) have walked away from Star Trek 4 due to money. However, I also saw that Paramount wants to go ahead with the movie without them. So, what should they do? Have a movie without the character of Captain James Tiberius Kirk or recast the role? Look, I think this is actually a great opportunity for Paramount to radically change their new Star Trek timeline, which in my opinion has been a failure. The solution is simple: go back to the original timeline. Use characters from The Next Generation TV series, or even Deep Space 9, and fix the damage that Nero did when he destroyed Vulcan and the timeline. Go back to what works instead of this rubble that JJ Abrams did before he went to mess up Star Wars. This is the right thing to do.
    They can't go back to the original timeline. CBS has ownership of prime Star Trek. They gave Paramount a license to do their own Trek.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    While you can argue there's been a downward trend in Star Treks box office, the flip side of that question is does Paramount have any other franchises which could really do better? If not, then they might as well keep on making Star Trek movies.
    They still have Transformers.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    They can't go back to the original timeline. CBS has ownership of prime Star Trek. They gave Paramount a license to do their own Trek.
    Could they do next Generation or Voyager or anything in the reboot timeline?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Could they do next Generation or Voyager or anything in the reboot timeline?
    That is the upside for the new timeline. They can cover the next generation era if for what ever reason they want or need to move on past the original. So there's still a lot more ground they can cover.

Astonishing Member

While you can argue there's been a downward trend in Star Treks box office, the flip side of that question is does Paramount have any other franchises which could really do better? If not, then they might as well keep on making Star Trek movies.
    Frankly I always thought Star Trek worked better as a TV series then a movie series and we are getting several new Star Trek shows on CBS All Access. I think that gives me enough Star Trek that I do not care about the movies anymore.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Just recast Captain Kirk.

If you watch the video I posted more of the cast may walk out also so they may have to recast the whole movie soon!

Tbh Star Trek is already shakey enough that it could do with a reboot regardless of them keeping the original cast or not.
    Snowflakes melt in flame wars.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    If you watch the video I posted more of the cast may walk out also so they may have to recast the whole movie soon!
    If the entire cast walks, they can probably just flash foreward the original era and just do the Next Generation era.

Maybe they can get James McAvoy to play Picard. That would be funny.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    Frankly I always thought Star Trek worked better as a TV series then a movie series and we are getting several new Star Trek shows on CBS All Access. I think that gives me enough Star Trek that I do not care about the movies anymore.
    I tend to agree with you. Where it becomes a problem is that the people who own the cinematic rights aren't the same people that own the TV rights. So the Paramount execs simply can't let the property sit idle, as in their minds any IP that isn't being used to make them money is costing them money (even if only as opportunity cost).

If the entire cast walks, they can probably just flash foreward the original era and just do the Next Generation era.

Maybe they can get James McAvoy to play Picard. That would be funny.
    They were selling the fourth Trek movie to investors by having Hemworth in it. I doubt Paramount can get another actor of his star power to even push for a Next Generation era movie.

It'd be interesting to see how the TNG-era would look in the new timeline-the reason everything looks kind of advanced in the reboot movies is apparently because Starfleet somehow were able to reverse-engineer some of the stuff from the Narada, and also of course Spock Prime telling Scotty about transwarp beaming (Which apparently is something prime Scotty cooked up in the TNG era after he was removed from transporter stasis).

Then again, the technology shown in Discovery and Enterprise doesn't exactly line up with the other shows either.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Astonishing Member

They were selling the fourth Trek movie to investors by having Hemworth in it. I doubt Paramount can get another actor of his star power to even push for a Next Generation era movie.
    They wouldn't necessarily need to. A reset would allow them to hire mostly unknowns and trim the budget a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    They wouldn't necessarily need to. A reset would allow them to hire mostly unknowns and trim the budget a lot.
    Paramount doesn't have the money to fund the movie themselves. That's why they need investors to make the fourth movie happen. They are not going to get anyone to throw money at a movie full of unknowns.

Paramount doesn't have the money to fund the movie themselves. That's why they need investors to make the fourth movie happen. They are not going to get anyone to throw money at a movie full of unknowns.
    Well, if they aren't able to generate the funds for the 4th movie then I suppose this is all moot. No needt worry about replacing actors for a movie they can't afford to make.