Default Nervous to take the plunge - digital comics

So it's come to this.

Trade-waiting alone isn't cutting it anymore.

But I don't have the room nor the inclination for storage boxes of floppies.

And my phone is alway nearby and almost always on my person.

I've downloaded free comics off of comixology before, but the experience was ... not great. Couldn't easily flip between pages and the zoom function didn't quite work.

I don't know about DC or Marvel's own direct downloads ... what had your experience with digital comics been?

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    So it's come to this.

Trade-waiting alone isn't cutting it anymore.

But I don't have the room nor the inclination for storage boxes of floppies.

And my phone is alway nearby and almost always on my person.

I've downloaded free comics off of comixology before, but the experience was ... not great. Couldn't easily flip between pages and the zoom function didn't quite work.

I don't know about DC or Marvel's own direct downloads ... what had your experience with digital comics been?
    Are you limited to only viewing comics on your phone? If so, you may want to invest in an ipad or laptop.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Boisterously Confused

I mainly use my phone, and I've had no complaints with either Marvel or DC. If you want a bigger surface, you can use a tablet device or computer.

I find the reading better if I use the guided view, but I usually employ a "full page on enter" setting so I can get a look at what was intended for the page.

I wonder, especially if download becomes more popular, if we're going to see a shift in art in response?

Originally, comics were comprised of newspaper comic reprints, and the layouts of comics continued to reflect that for some time. Later, pencillers began using different layouts to take story-telling advantage of the distinct characteristics of comics, free from the newspaper layout constraints.

So I wonder if artists will find something distinctive about the digital distribution medium that they can exploit for innovative forms of visual story-telling.

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    Are you limited to only viewing comics on your phone? If so, you may want to invest in an ipad or laptop.
    I have a laptop and a tablet, but they don't get used a tenth of how often I use my phone. So I'm thinking phone primarily.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I mainly use my phone, and I've had no complaints with either Marvel or DC. If you want a bigger surface, you can use a tablet device or computer.

I find the reading better if I use the guided view, but I usually employ a "full page on enter" setting so I can get a look at what was intended for the page.

I wonder, especially if download becomes more popular, if we're going to see a shift in art in response?

Originally, comics were comprised of newspaper comic reprints, and the layouts of comics continued to reflect that for some time. Later, pencillers began using different layouts to take story-telling advantage of the distinct characteristics of comics, free from the newspaper layout constraints.

So I wonder if artists will find something distinctive about the digital distribution medium that they can exploit for innovative forms of visual story-telling.
    Is there a difference in quality between Comixology and the direct publisher apps?