Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Superman and family's entire romantic history

Sometime ago, I started a thread called Batman's entire romantic history. We unpacked a lot of history, and it was a lot of fun.

Because I am an obsessive completist, I decided to try to do the same thing for everyone in the DC Universe. So I ended up writing a lot. Man, I need a girflriend.

But rather than make a lot of posts that would take up a lot of room in any thread I made, I decided I would just put them on a page I could link to..

So I created this...

characterromance.wikia.com

But this is for the Superman family, so here are some direct links...

Superman

Lois Lane

Supergirl

Superboy

Steel

Natasha Irons

So, if you want to take a look at these, tell me what I'm missing!

There's also this thread in regular DC Comics if you want to talk about anyone else.
    Last edited by Slimybug; 08-19-2018 at 04:32 PM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Fixed that Clark link for you.

Pre crisis there was Althera from Action #395 and Lyla Lerrol from Superman #141.

For post crisis you have Simone D'Neige from Zero Hour, Terri Chung from The Odyssey, and Ruby from World of Metropolis. Lois had Jeb some years before Superman came along amd Jose after Gang War. John Henry had Amanda Quick and Natasha had "Boris."

I'll take another more thorough look after work and just update this post if no one adds what I intend to review.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Slimybug View Post
    Pretty much all of Rebirth for starters.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

A lot are missing from the pre-Crisis era... Sally Selwyn, Lyla Lerrol, Luma Lynai, Orella, Lisa Davis, Cleopatra (yeah, that one) and pretty much every breathing woman on Earth. /kidding

Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 08-19-2018 at 01:47 PM.

If we count amnesia, we have Amazing Grace from Superman #3 and the Dinosaur Island native from Blackout.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Pretty much all of Rebirth for starters.
    Yeah, I'll admit, I know nothing about Rebirth.

BANNED

Yeah, I'll admit, I know nothing about Rebirth.
    All you need to know is it restores Lois and Clark's married relationship, gives them a son, and erases the New 52

Incredible Member

It seems popular in adaptations to pair Supergirl with Jimmy Olsen or Brainiac 5. I don't think her relationship with Brainy ever got very serious in the comics. I remember one panel I read online where he asked her "Please stay...and be my girl." Then, in Crisis, I remember him being very upset at her death, with others saying "We know how you felt about her." But I know of no other examples, and certainly not on the level of her leaving the present to be with him, a la Justice League: Unlimited.

And I don't know that she and Jimmy ever had anything in the comics. I believe he had a crush on the Matrix Supergirl.

Yeah I really like both characters Brainy and Kara, but never got around to caring about that. I don't believe there was a point where Jimmy ever got with a Supergirl. Aside from Ben in Rebirth, there was Michael after Doomed in the New 52.

Do the Imaginary Stories count?

Kara and Jimmy got married over in Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen. She didn't have her powers or memories at the time but recovered them and revealed the truth to Jimmy and they stayed married (in that imaginary tale).

Jimmy and Linda (Kara's civilian identity) dated on-and-off (but Jimmy also dated Lois' sister Lucy).

Retired

It may have only been one issue--SUPERMAN 196 (May 1967)--but I would say Lyrica Lloyd was a significant love interest as Clark/Superman revealed his identity to her and proposed marriage.

Even if we might not want to admit it, Kara and Kal-El shared an attraction, and they must have realized that their union could produced a line of Super-beings and continue the Kryptonian race on Earth. As first cousins that might not have been acceptable for everyone--but there are places where cousins can marry and there are many instances of cousins marrying throughout history.

As Lucy Lane was to Jimmy Olsen, so Dick Malverne was to Linda Lee Danvers. He stuck around for a long time as the main love interest. I'd say he was much more signifianct than either Comet the Super-Horse or Brainiac 5 for the original Kara Zor-El, as those other two were rather unrealistic as potential mates, but Dick was proper boyfriend material.

The relationship with Brainy seems like something that gained steam the longer it existed in the minds of fans, so that by the 1980s it was an established thing--but there wasn't much in the comics that fed into it, given that Supergirl didn't hang out in the 30th century as much as her cousin had.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    All you need to know is it restores Lois and Clark's married relationship, gives them a son, and erases the New 52
    1533815370243.jpg
    I miss jon

Sometime ago, I started a thread called Batman's entire romantic history. We unpacked a lot of history, and it was a lot of fun.

Because I am an obsessive completist, I decided to try to do the same thing for everyone in the DC Universe. So I ended up writing a lot. Man, I need a girflriend.

But rather than make a lot of posts that would take up a lot of room in any thread I made, I decided I would just put them on a page I could link to..

So I created this...

characterromance.wikia.com

But this is for the Superman family, so here are some direct links...

Superman

The Unnamed Native of Dinosaur Island was Lola-La

I never really thought that Ruby had been a romantic interest for Clark - she was flirty, perhaps, but I don't think anything happened (although I may be mis-remembering (have a dish-washing scene in my head...). Wasn't she with Kenny Braverman for a while?

It really depends on how you define romance. Ruby and Clark would be classified as having a mutual attraction and going on dates what seems like exclusively across at least a few weeks. I think the biggest disqualification would probably be whether or not you go by the potential for them to take the relationship further.

Retired

In terms of Earth-Two Superman it's a bit tricky. The link says "The Golden Age Superman is shown to only have eyes for Lois Lane. He played the goofy, clumsy nerd as her co-worker Clark Kent, while she swooned at Superman."

The problem here is that Earth-Two Superman is a made-up version of the Man of Steel based on cherry-picked bits of continuity from the 1930s and 1940s. If we talk about the original Superman of Siegel & Shuster, 1938 - 1947, that's a different thing.

It's important to make this point, because for Earth-Two Superman, the above quote could very well be true. It could be that Lois Lane was the only important romantic interest in his life. Afterall, he was shown to marry her in the late 1940s and stay with her until her death.

On the other hand, if we're talking about the original Superman from the '30s and '40s, while Lois was the most important love interest, there were other women that Clark/Superman was involved with. The only question might be whether he was as interested in them as they were in him.

Women tend to go mad for the Man of Tomorrow, and some even are attracted to Clark Kent, yet Supes is pretty cool toward most women, even Lois. As Clark, he might have acted like he was thirsty for Miss Lane, but that was probably Superman overplaying his part as the overly infatuated Kent.