Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Matt Groening's Disenchanted

Is anyone else watching it?

I'm on the 2nd episode and it's not bad but not great either. The voice actors aren't standing out as much The Simpson/Futurama cast did but it's a solid enough world they built to keep me watching.

Could a mod change the title to Disenchantment please?
    Last edited by jump; 08-19-2018 at 01:35 PM.
    Snowflakes melt in flame wars.

BANNED

I saw the first two episodes.

Pilot was awkwardly paced and it took until the last five minutes to be really funny or interesting, second episode was a little better but could have done without the journey to the island of "mermaid" seals.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

I watched the first episode and liked it quite a bit. I'll be watching the others gradually as I like to space out the episodes.

It's better to go into it knowing that it's not intended to be a joke-a-minute comedy like The Simpsons or even Futurama. It's a lower-key kind of story based humor. I kind of wish Groening could draw something other than his standard goofy massive overbite character style, because it's become so associated with a certain style of humor.

The non-character art is probably the best I've ever seen in 2D animation, outside of classic Disney or Studio Ghibli.

Fun picking out all the fantasy references they work in: Game of Thrones, The Princess Bride, Elf, The Smurfs, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, and of course "Disney Princess" Bean.

Ultimate Member

Not bad, I binged it. Sure hope it gets a second season.

It's been announced it's getting a season 2.

I'm pleasantly surprised the shows picks up as it goes along, I'm on episode 9 now. I still wouldn't say it hits the same highs as Futurama or The Simpsons did but it does stand on it's own and I actually prefer Bean over Fry or Homer.

Could a mod change the title to Disenchantment please?
    Snowflakes melt in flame wars.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    I watched the first episode and liked it quite a bit. I'll be watching the others gradually as I like to space out the episodes.

It's better to go into it knowing that it's not intended to be a joke-a-minute comedy like The Simpsons or even Futurama. It's a lower-key kind of story based humor. I kind of wish Groening could draw something other than his standard goofy massive overbite character style, because it's become so associated with a certain style of humor.

The non-character art is probably the best I've ever seen in 2D animation, outside of classic Disney or Studio Ghibli.

Fun picking out all the fantasy references they work in: Game of Thrones, The Princess Bride, Elf, The Smurfs, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, and of course "Disney Princess" Bean.
    It's laugh-a-minute if you like sarcasm and black humor. It had a lot of 1% jokes that most people will miss. I think it won't get dumbed down like Simpsons and later Futurama have been.

It reminded me of the 1st running of Futurama and older Simpsons.

It also affirmed my belief that Matt Groening shows should be limited to shorter runs and seasons.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

I haven't watched it yet, but Groening's shows tend to get better over time because characters can be deepened and a history gets established that lends itself to self-referential humor, catchphrases, and inside jokes that can only happen as episodes accumulate. This is a big part of Groening's shows' appeal.

Given his track record, I'm sure Disenchantment will be another winner.

Well, I like it right from the get-go, so that's a good sign.

(Except for the Wishmaster/Washmaster gag. I don't think there was a joke that lame on The Simpsons until the 21st century.)

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

I'm watching the 1st episode thus far. Its been decent thus far and yeah the dark humor is pretty solid. Also here is an interesting thing I have noticed...

- In both of Groening's other shows the main characters have 4 fingers. In Futurama and Simpsons the characters had 4 fingers . Anyhow this show the main characters have 5 fingers if you count them. The Elves in this have 4 fingers.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Astonishing Member

I just watched the first episode so far.
    Seems all right but not as funny as the Simpsons or the Futurama.

I think the humor is just right to serve a show that's an ongoing story, rather than the episodic Simpsons and Futurama.

It's a different kind of comedy.

Incredible Member

I thought overall it was pretty interesting. As far as the comedy went there were some long stretches of 'meh' punctuated with moments of utter hilarity. But, even when it wasn't being totally funny it was intriguing. I'd suggest watching it, and even back-to-back all the way through if you have the time.
    I'm looking forward to part two.

I liked it, thought it improved pretty dramatically as the series went on and ended strongly, looking forward to season 2

My wife and I watched it over five days or so. We both really enjoyed it, and I thought the season was well paced between character-building episodes and story-building episodes. Looking forward to Season 2.

BANNED

I haven't watch it just yet but if it is anything like Futurama, i will be digging it.
    Futurama is my favourite from Matt Groening. Simpsons, not so much.