Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    So... what would it be like if we took away all of Superman's powers except for strength and durability, and they just punch it out?
    Based on their previous encounters with fellow bricks, I’d give that to Thanos.

Quote Originally Posted by KJS View Post
    Yes given Thanos's showing against the Hulk and probably other showings I'm overlooking, Thanos. Of course, it says it all that we would have to take away three main powers (heat vision, flight and speed) and leave Superman only two powers with no intrinsic handicaps for Thanos for Thanos to win.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by KJS View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Yes given Thanos's showing against the Hulk and probably other showings I'm overlooking, Thanos. Of course, it says it all that we would have to take away three main powers (heat vision, flight and speed) and leave Superman only two powers with no intrinsic handicaps for Thanos for Thanos to win.
    I might be diving into deep DEEP water here, but I'm not entirely convinced myself.

I mean, the Arena is set during the day with sunlight for one. That's a bit of a help already.

Secondly, the only two times we have seen Superman receive any damage at all was during night and after close exposure to things that were drastically weakening him.

The World Engine exploding with at /minimum/ the force of a MOAB left him stunned for sure, but no bruises or bleeding. And it was dumping out poisonous atmosphere that was making him cough and gag. Previous exposure to said environment had him vomit and pass out iirc on Zods ship.

The nuke was again point blank, at night time and after 2 doses of kryptonite.

I'm not saying he whoops Thanos under these conditions, but he may wear the guy down over a prolonged back and forth.

Knocking out Hulk in 22 seconds is an incredible feat, but Hulk is not nearly as durable as Clark. Thor managed to stun him in Avengers and in Ragnarok. A prolonged bombardment from Chitauri sleds left him with a bloody nose and sluggish movements. Fenris ripped into his leg. Hulkbuster knocked a tooth out of him. Abomination was making him bleed.

All that said, I dont think Clark still stomps. Thanos is also a MUCH better fighter than Clark so he's got that going for him. I'm kind of in coin flip territory here... on the fence.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Thanos vs. Pre-Justice League Superman

What happens when strength (Thanos) meets durability (Superman)? One of helluva fight ensues, that's what happens. Ultimately, I'd give the edge to the Mad Titan. Thanos decimated the Hulk after effortlessly trashing Thor. Throughout Infinity War, Thanos displayed many feats of strength (e.g., plucking the Mind Stone out of Vision's vibranium forehead; tearing apart Groot's roots; smashing away Dr. Strange's shields; incapacitated Drax with a single hit; overloaded Black Panther's kinetic-absorption suit with a single punch; overwhelmed Iron Man's nanotech armor, etc.) that surpasses Superman's own.

Superman's flight, heat vision, and remarkable durability is what allows him to stand toe-to-toe with Thanos. There's a chance he might even win, but I think Thanos's strength coupled with his superior fighting skills is what helps him prevail.

Thanos vs. Justice League Superman

Yeah, Thanos is doomed. The fight is over before he can even process what is happening. Superman's combat speed at this point makes this fight one-sided. Honestly, if you were to give Thanos the Infinity Gauntlet, there's a chance Superman could still win this by removing the gauntlet before Thanos has time to activate it.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

I mean, Thanos is at least as strong, at least as durable, is a MUCH better fighter, and has a pretty massive size advantage. If you take away all of the stuff that lets Clark win (let's be honest, it's just the speed, really, Clark's HV isn't hurting Thanos at all, so flight and keep-away aren't winning anything), Thanos owns this.

But on the original fight, yes, Supes wins thanks to VASTLY superior speed. It might take a hundred shots or a thousand, and it simply doesn't matter: Supes, once JL feats are there, is stupidly faster.

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    I mean, Thanos is at least as strong, at least as durable, is a MUCH better fighter, and has a pretty massive size advantage. If you take away all of the stuff that lets Clark win (let's be honest, it's just the speed, really, Clark's HV isn't hurting Thanos at all, so flight and keep-away aren't winning anything), Thanos owns this.

But on the original fight, yes, Supes wins thanks to VASTLY superior speed. It might take a hundred shots or a thousand, and it simply doesn't matter: Supes, once JL feats are there, is stupidly faster.
    *tries hard to decide if it's worth the 13 page argument that will follow if I disagree*

:P
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    *tries hard to decide if it's worth the 13 page argument that will follow if I disagree*

It's totally worth it. Do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slade1 View Post
    It's totally worth it. Do it.
    You just want to sit back and eat popcorn while reading the mess of a thread you helped create! ;p

....fine. I'll have to respond later though. Dinner calls.
    - big_adventure

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

Clark is stronger than Thanos most likely.

He’s shown dragging a large ice breaker ship. Those can way on the low end about 10,000 tons.

I can’t see Thanos muscling more than that.
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

You just want to sit back and eat popcorn while reading the mess of a thread you helped create! ;p

....fine. I'll have to respond later though. Dinner calls.
    What widdle ol me?

*Quietly gets the popcorn*

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post
    Clark is stronger than Thanos most likely.

He’s shown dragging a large ice breaker ship. Those can way on the low end about 10,000 tons.

I can’t see Thanos muscling more than that.
    I would say casually flying around carrying an apartment building in Justice League trumps that icebreaker ship quite handily.

I agree with you on both counts. That it's highly questionable that Thanos is as strong or stronger than JL Superman and that it's highly questionable if it's worth a multi-page argument.
    Power with Girl is better.

Ah, ok. Sorry if I misread that then. I wasn't bothered that you quoted me lol just confused because KJS had said the same thing.

Ok, my opinion: Hulk is a pretty decent brick. He can toss 20 ton magic Wolves head over heels, redirect a Leviathans direction by yanking on its jaw and of course can one shot punch them. The Leviathans themselves being 1000 ton monstrosities capable of headbutting skyscrapers with no ill effects.

There is no reason to assume Hulk was holding back and hitting Thanos with anything less than his best space whale killing punches, especially considering he had just watched Thor get manhandled.

Thanos was essentially completely fine after those blows. He was also fine after getting a building sized chunk of debris tossed on him and run over by Nebulas spacecraft. Last but not least, he tanked Thor's lightning in Wakanda which itself has feats of pulping space whales and stunning Hela.

I am certain it would take more than "4-5 hits" to finish him. Not that he couldn't finish him, just that it's going to take a lot more oomph than one would expect. Thankfully his speed allows him to smack Thanos around uncontested.

As for what somebody else asked: The Infinity Gauntlet could potentially give him a win if Clark was foolish enough to just smack him. Thanos' freakish durability might allow him to survive just long enough to close his fist and think "die". Buuut... Clark could just pull the glove off at speed. He is vastly stronger than either Tony or Peter.
    How many hits do you think it would take to him down?

I'll start it for you since I think I'm on your side.

Superman is stronger and more durable than Thanos. Surviving a nuke >>>> any thanos feat.

Swiss army nerd

Quote Originally Posted by moonknight11 View Post
    I'll start it for you since I think I'm on your side.

Superman is stronger and more durable than Thanos. Surviving a nuke >>>> any thanos feat.
    Surviving a nuke while clearly weakened and injured. I don't think a full strength Superman has been hurt by anything short of another Kryptonian or Doomsday? And even then, he and Zod basically didn't have a scratch on them till the neck snap.