Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by greatmetropolitan View Post
    Surviving a nuke while clearly weakened and injured. I don't think a full strength Superman has been hurt by anything short of another Kryptonian or Doomsday? And even then, he and Zod basically didn't have a scratch on them till the neck snap.
    Even Doomsday didn't particularly damage Superman. One of my biggest examples of this was during the Heat Vision beam struggle.

Zod accidentally cut a skyscraper in half with his HV. He wasn't particularly trying to use the ability. Clark should have more potent HV than that considering his greater skill with it plus the prolonged exposure to the environment Zod lacked.

DD cut right through that HV with his own, carrying Clark away at the tip of a spear made of roiling fire that thrust him through a big chunk of debris. Literally like 1 second after, Clark was airborne and squaring up ready to go before he was distracted by Lois.

My favorite sequence of durability and Clark's ability to essentially ignore damage was during the Zod fight though. Zod twirls him around at super speed and tosses him over a kilometer through 5 skyscrapers before slamming into him and dragging him into orbit. He then hits him with a satellite before drop kicking him towards the planet. He catches up and has Clark by the throat and is pounding his face with unanswered shots as they blast at super sonic speeds down through the heat of reentry. They smash into a building and then mere seconds later, after ALL of that, Clark has Zod by the neck and finishes him. No blood or bruises, no heavy breathing or anything.

I honestly dont think DCEU Kryptonians can hurt one another. The neck snap is kinda weird in the face of it all. I have theories about that, but just theories. Not real evidence.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Incredible Member

The Power scaling in Infinity War is kind of all over the place. I'm still trying to figure out how Cap could hold up Thanos arm when Thanos bodied the Hulk earlier in the film with less gems. I mean is StormBreaker more powerful than the I.G?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDiggle View Post
    The Power scaling in Infinity War is kind of all over the place. I'm still trying to figure out how Cap could hold up Thanos arm when Thanos bodied the Hulk earlier in the film with less gems. I mean is StormBreaker more powerful than the I.G?
    Thanos looked a little surprised but I seriously doubt he was putting any kind of real effort in against Cap. I mean he one shot him seconds after.

I'm not sure what to do with Stormbreaker. It seems like a more potent up front sort of weapon but with waaaay less versatility and options. It was designed to be a kings weapon capable of creating the Bifrost and whatnot. It seems kinda silly that a created weapon could overcome divine stones of creation or what not, but feats are feats.

Unless you want to argue the beam Thanos shot was just a reflexive action not indicative of his full power.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    Even Doomsday didn't particularly damage Superman. One of my biggest examples of this was during the Heat Vision beam struggle.

Zod accidentally cut a skyscraper in half with his HV. He wasn't particularly trying to use the ability. Clark should have more potent HV than that considering his greater skill with it plus the prolonged exposure to the environment Zod lacked.

DD cut right through that HV with his own, carrying Clark away at the tip of a spear made of roiling fire that thrust him through a big chunk of debris. Literally like 1 second after, Clark was airborne and squaring up ready to go before he was distracted by Lois.

My favorite sequence of durability and Clark's ability to essentially ignore damage was during the Zod fight though. Zod twirls him around at super speed and tosses him over a kilometer through 5 skyscrapers before slamming into him and dragging him into orbit. He then hits him with a satellite before drop kicking him towards the planet. He catches up and has Clark by the throat and is pounding his face with unanswered shots as they blast at super sonic speeds down through the heat of reentry. They smash into a building and then mere seconds later, after ALL of that, Clark has Zod by the neck and finishes him. No blood or bruises, no heavy breathing or anything.

I honestly dont think DCEU Kryptonians can hurt one another. The neck snap is kinda weird in the face of it all. I have theories about that, but just theories. Not real evidence.
    I think this is one of the things that the novelization actually handled a bit better. IIRC, Clark and Zod were both pretty busted up at the end of the fight in that version, which helps sell the snap a bit better.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Regarding Stormbreaker's effectiveness against the Infinity Gauntlet:

I suspect Stormbreaker was using the Bifrost to redirect the Infinity Gauntlet's projectile.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    I think this is one of the things that the novelization actually handled a bit better. IIRC, Clark and Zod were both pretty busted up at the end of the fight in that version, which helps sell the snap a bit better.
    Oh, you actually read the novel? Would you recommend or nah? =)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomzilla View Post
    Regarding Stormbreaker's effectiveness against the Infinity Gauntlet:

I suspect Stormbreaker was using the Bifrost to redirect the Infinity Gauntlet's projectile.
    Eh, we dont particularly see anything resembling this even if it would help explain. It's sort of like my reasoning for why Clark could break Zods neck. Theory, but nothing provable.
    - big_adventure

I think the Cap scene was just the writers trying to emphasise just how desperate Cap was at the time. Real world humans have displayed near-superhuman levels of strength in desperate situations, due to adrenaline and whatnot - and I think Cap stopping one of Thanos' hands, using two of his hands, when Thanos wasn't really trying too hard, was just Marvel Studios' ways of saying "Cap is truly desperate right now, the entire universe is at stake and this is him exerting strength even he didn't know was possible".

In that situation, one Thanos arm exerting 20% of his strength COULD realistically be stopped by two Captain America arms exerting 100%++++++ (factoring in adrenaline etc) of his strength.
    Last edited by KJS; 08-22-2018 at 12:27 AM.

Eh, we dont particularly see anything resembling this even if it would help explain. It's sort of like my reasoning for why Clark could break Zods neck. Theory, but nothing provable.
    Yeah, I agree. My theory is nothing more than a desperate attempt to make sense of a senseless (yet spectacular epic) scene.

Oh, you actually read the novel? Would you recommend or nah? =)
    I remember it being pretty good actually. It's nice to really into Clark's head and see how he thinks. Plus it has the deleted super crying from baby Clark scene, which was hilarious.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

I'm told that in the DVD commentary (I have not listened to it personally) that Thanos wasn't trying to overpower Cap in that scene anyway.
    "Money and muscle, that’s what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won’t do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won’t enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it."
    Robert E. Howard

The real inconsistency was Scarlet Witch able to hold Thanos with 5 infinity stones for half a minute or so and simultaneously destroying the mind stone.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    The real inconsistency was Scarlet Witch able to hold Thanos with 5 infinity stones for half a minute or so and simultaneously destroying the mind stone.
    Eh, I found that forgivable. Sure, he could have turned her into a muffin at range, but instead chose to put up a small shield and march forward. I can see her slowing down a trudging Thanos.
    - big_adventure

Didn't the director's commentary of IW state that Stormbreaker was like almost Kryptonite to the gauntlet anyway? Like they were both made by the same dude and everything. Stormbreaker was made to kill Thanos.

Quote Originally Posted by moonknight11 View Post
    Didn't the director's commentary of IW state that Stormbreaker was like almost Kryptonite to the gauntlet anyway? Like they were both made by the same dude and everything. Stormbreaker was made to kill Thanos.
    I don't know what Rumbles does in regards Directors Cut Commentary as opposed to the context we perceive from the movie itself.

I mean, I would prefer that explanation. Im just not sure how Rumbles proceeds here.
    - big_adventure

I don't know what Rumbles does in regards Directors Cut Commentary as opposed to the context we perceive from the movie itself.

I mean, I would prefer that explanation. Im just not sure how Rumbles proceeds here.
    I suppose as long as it doesn't directly contradict anything in the actual movie, it should count, no?