Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    I personally would say your description makes Scott lonely,
    Not a loner. Which can be very different. Just my opinion.
    Maybe splitting hairs here but I don't recall Scott wanting to develop personal relationships in a very long time. That's more the definition I was working with. Honestly outside of Jean I can't recall anyone Scott deliberately set out to develop a relationship or friendship with. I'm not sure even she counts given that Jean pulled most of the strings to move the relationship along. Maybe N.C. counts?

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfhammer View Post
    Maybe splitting hairs here but I don't recall Scott wanting to develop personal relationships in a very long time. That's more the definition I was working with. Honestly outside of Jean I can't recall anyone Scott deliberately set out to develop a relationship or friendship with. I'm not sure even she counts given that Jean pulled most of the strings to move the relationship along. Maybe N.C. counts?
    I will defer to your opinion. As I said I’ve only been reading the last 5 years. The rest I get is snippets or scans I see or the occasional back issues I read or Wikipedia summaries
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    I will defer to your opinion. As I said I’ve only been reading the last 5 years. The rest I get is snippets or scans I see or the occasional back issues I read or Wikipedia summaries
    Well it's not like I have a monopoly on the facts. It's just my opinion too.

Glad to hear you started reading recently. I wish there were more new readers. I did a poll last year and I think the largest group on here that responded started reading in the 90's.

As for wiki's, I find they're a good place to start if your interested in getting to know a character or arc better, but there's no substitute for reading the issues. Wiki's occasionally suffer from incorrect details, opinion passed as facts and missing information. Given the size of the franchise though, it can be intimidating to contemplate reading that much of a back catalog. There are a number of reading guides for picking your spots if you're so inclined, this being one of the better ones IMO. Marvel Unlimited is very cost effective way to explore the back catalog. Sorry if you know all this already, just thought I'd mention it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfhammer View Post
    Well it's not like I have a monopoly on the facts. It's just my opinion too.

Glad to hear you started reading recently. I wish there were more new readers. I did a poll last year and I think the largest group on here that responded started reading in the 90's.

As for wiki's, I find they're a good place to start if your interested in getting to know a character or arc better, but there's no substitute for reading the issues. Wiki's occasionally suffer from incorrect details, opinion passed as facts and missing information. Given the size of the franchise though, it can be intimidating to contemplate reading that much of a back catalog. There are a number of reading guides for picking your spots if you're so inclined, this being one of the better ones IMO. Marvel Unlimited is very cost effective way to explore the back catalog. Sorry if you know all this already, just thought I'd mention it.
    Nah that’s all very helpful I appreciate the information
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

Cyclops and Beast's friendship got ruined in recent years, Angel's mind been warped for the same stretch basically right up until Scott's death, and Iceman is just too immature to relate to post-Decimation Scott on any level, but they were all long time friends. This isn't what Scott was always like.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    ForgetMeNot.
    I think being a loner means being that way by choice. Forgetmenot has no control over his situation.

Not many, really, and not Wolverine, largely because the family theme that runs through the franchise.

Cyclops... well in the Silver Age he was certainly introverted and burdened by an overwhelming sense of responsibility - in a way, frankly, many Marvel Silver Age heroes tended to be. Hell, even Silver Age Iron Man, anemic moustachioed Batman that he was, only maintained a facade of being a playboy - he would retire to a hotel room at the end of the evening to plug himself in at the mains, before returning to fight poorly conceived Eastern bloc adversaries.

It’s difficult to think of X-Men being loners past the Silver Age. Well-known loners in comics? Ditko era Spider-Man. Rorschach. Some of the other vigilantes, maybe.
    Last edited by Coin Biter; 08-21-2018 at 10:02 PM.

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    Cyke is not a loner, lol. He was always a team guy.
    and never without a woman. Sometimes two.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

Wolverine tries to be, but nobody ever leaves him alone. I'd say either between Cyclops or Cable. Probably leaning more towards Cable since he was the "I only trust myself to get things done" attitude. Cyclops is only a loner because nobody want's to be his friend. Probably sat at the lunch table all by his lonesome if the X-Men had a lunchroom... po' lil guy. #foreveralone

Fantastic Member

Nobody saying colossus? Dude really doesn’t get to do much off screen if it isn’t painting (alone, except for one with kitty and Betsy as models), trains by himself a lot, has friendships that are often overshadowed by other people’s, rarely ever joins teams or groups not the main x-men line.. like he was part of the acolytes briefly but left when he couldn’t change it, was invited to the defenders and passed immediately, joined cable only to go under cover at a factory by himself.. he’s got an on-again, off-again thing with kitty that will be off for the next five years and has only one real other relationship with domino in his entire history ( one night threesomes in the savage land don’t count ). Dude is a loner for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Anchorsify View Post
    Nobody saying colossus? Dude really doesn’t get to do much off screen if it isn’t painting (alone, except for one with kitty and Betsy as models), trains by himself a lot, has friendships that are often overshadowed by other people’s, rarely ever joins teams or groups not the main x-men line.. like he was part of the acolytes briefly but left when he couldn’t change it, was invited to the defenders and passed immediately, joined cable only to go under cover at a factory by himself.. he’s got an on-again, off-again thing with kitty that will be off for the next five years and has only one real other relationship with domino in his entire history ( one night threesomes in the savage land don’t count ). Dude is a loner for sure.
    Colossus is part of trio with Wolverine and Nightcrawler who some might argue is the best friendship in all of comics. Gets along with pretty much anybody(they don't call him "Petey pure heart" for nothing) and gets into random relationships by accident. Sure, he may deal with his occasion bouts with depression and goes into a loner-ish mode, but at the end of the day he's just a big friendly guy if not oafish and is always there for his friends.

"Comics journalism"? Filthy Mutie's Avatar

Cyclops, because he's dead.

Bishop, probably.

It's Cyclops. he may be a team guy, but he doesn't let people get close to him with few exceptions.