Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

I think the character moments are really strong on this arc, but the structure/use of characters isn't as strong as I'd hoped. I like so many individual things (gotta love that call-out to Tim and Steph with "little red boy, purple and gold girl"), but Duke didn't seem necessary here (even if Hill had just said "I can use my power to save time in finding him, giving him less time to hurt people" that would have been more efficient than just "Oh, he went that way"). Katana was cool, but again, not super necessary. Cass and Jefferson were clearly the stars of the show, with a very strong Batman showing as well.

Not quite up to the Tynion level (and for me, that's pretty high), but I'm glad to have collected this. Now I'm out of Tec until 1000, unless some miracle occurs and Steph shows up again.

With November solicits out, and no Outsiders, I'm really frustrated with DC on the schedulling and announcement of this. Just tell us it's coming!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

Well there was the rumor that the book was cancelled ahead of time. Which would be stupid IMO.

While Katana wasnt needed it is the Outsiders after all her and BL are original members from before new 52. Ill let the use of characters slide since this was the set up. if Dc didnt cancel the project then i hope Hill brings his A game with the series
    X-Men Forever

Astonishing Member

And Batman's lack of development for black male characters continue, The signal has so much potential and he was literally used as just a phrasing moment. I said it at the beginning of the arc that it looked like a fridge moment and of course, I was right.

Outsiders has finally been confirmed for December! With art by Dexter Soy! While I was annoyed with the lack of Duke in this arc, I did think the overall story was pretty good and I am willing to accept this a solid set up for Batman and the Outsiders. Hopefully Duke will get a chance to really shine considering his lack of action in the set up and this is his first ongoing (hopefully it's an ongoing. Never know these days) as the Signal
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 08-22-2018 at 03:37 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    Outsiders has finally been confirmed for December! With art by Dexter Soy! While I was annoyed with the lack of Duke in this arc, I did think the overall story was pretty good and I am willing to accept this a solid set up for Batman and the Outsiders. Hopefully Duke will get a chance to really shine considering his lack of action in the set up and this is his first ongoing (hopefully it's an ongoing. Never know these days) the Signal
    QUESTION-why was Batgirl in this if she is not on the team? She got made to look like a brat in this. You could have left her out. Duke could have snapped at Batman.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    QUESTION-why was Batgirl in this if she is not on the team? She got made to look like a brat in this. You could have left her out. Duke could have snapped at Batman.
    Yeah I was wondering that too.

Maybe she's gonna get added later?

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    That's a good question. Maybe since they were setting up her and Cassandra's relationship in Tyion's run, Hill wanted to have her pop in. Or maybe they are setting up Babs and Batman butting heads down the road. It would have been better to have Duke or Cass (preferably Duke since he was sidelined for most of this arc) to snap on Batman tho.

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

Well i could see Babs and other pop in for missions as temp outsiders. Would also be cool to see new 52/Rebith versions of Geo Force and Halo. But im ok with the intial roster. Im getting for sure looks fun.
    X-Men Forever

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    That's a good question. Maybe since they were setting up her and Cassandra's relationship in Tyion's run, Hill wanted to have her pop in. Or maybe they are setting up Babs and Batman butting heads down the road. It would have been better to have Duke or Cass (preferably Duke since he was sidelined for most of this arc) to snap on Batman tho.
    Thats anyway something that I find odd. In the End of tynions run t seemed like Barbara would finally play again a bigger role in Cass live, but Hill completly ignored this realtion and and directly had Barbara leaving the team.

And btw. has Katana now lest the Suicide Squad or is she on both teams?

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I think the character moments are really strong on this arc, but the structure/use of characters isn't as strong as I'd hoped. I like so many individual things (gotta love that call-out to Tim and Steph with "little red boy, purple and gold girl"), but Duke didn't seem necessary here (even if Hill had just said "I can use my power to save time in finding him, giving him less time to hurt people" that would have been more efficient than just "Oh, he went that way"). Katana was cool, but again, not super necessary. Cass and Jefferson were clearly the stars of the show, with a very strong Batman showing as well.
    I thought he was referring to Barbara and Damian.

I enjoyed the story for the most part. The art was great. The end was a bit anti-climatic, but it took me back to a time before every story was an event or "changed things forever!" A time before Knightfall.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

BANNED

The little red boy was a clear reference to Damian.