Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Incredible Member

It's weird that people are saying DC should go dark when that's pretty much been all they are recently. Are there many lighthearted books right now anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Shockingjustice View Post
    It's weird that people are saying DC should go dark when that's pretty much been all they are recently. Are there many lighthearted books right now anyway?
    Super Sons, Wonder Woman, Harley Quinn, their Looney Tunes stuff. There's plenty of lighthearted output from them.

And no Ines asking for DC to go dark. Just find a balance.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shockingjustice View Post
    DC shouldn't go dark. The upcoming Sanctuary event is basically an interesting concept(superheroes in therapy)that is going to be ruined by going dark. It should be about healing the characters who got broken not killing them off for cheap shock value.

Certain franchises like Titans would benefit from a lighter direction for a bit.

I thought the article made a great point about the highlights of the various TT runs being when they had a balance of fun & adventure. The nu52 run was a perfect example of going grimdark and failing on most levels.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by astro@work View Post
    I thought the article made a great point about the highlights of the various TT runs being when they had a balance of fun & adventure. The nu52 run was a perfect example of going grimdark and failing on most levels.
    The worst part of New 52 is that Titans and Ravagers had nothing but interesting concepts that were botched by the writers or editorial's desire to be grimdark.

Mighty Member

It seems like comic book fans have gotten soft over the years. There's nothing wrong with a story being dark and mature. If that's how a writer wants to approach their story, so be it. You have no right to question it, especially if you have no plans to read it. I welcome both tones for a Titans series.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Super Sons, Wonder Woman, Harley Quinn, their Looney Tunes stuff. There's plenty of lighthearted output from them.

And no Ines asking for DC to go dark. Just find a balance.
    There's always been a balance. People just refuse to pay attention.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    They did indeed but when people these days think of the Teen Titans they are most likely thinking of the Wolfman/Perez NTT than the 60s Teen Titans book. Its more recent and more people have read it so that is always the book they are looking for a show to be the most like. That being said I'm more likely to think of the '60s book instead because that was the one I started reading first.
    I'm in the middle of a reread of this series.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by The Anti-Geek View Post
    It seems like comic book fans have gotten soft over the years. There's nothing wrong with a story being dark and mature. If that's how a writer wants to approach their story, so be it. You have no right to question it, especially if you have no plans to read it. I welcome both tones for a Titans series.
    Sure we do. It's called a message board. And also a free mind.

I didn't read the article. Mostly because the premise feels terribly flawed to me.

Maybe the author was thinking of Young Justice, but the Titans have rarely (if ever) been a bright, funny, happy, humor book. Unless the death of Donna's infant child and subsequent divorce, Raven going evil (how many times now?), Slade manipulating and sleeping with a girl young enough to be his daughter, etc., is someone's definition of "light hearted." Just because the characters could be smartasses who told jokes to each other (laughing so they dont cry, I believe the saying is?) doesn't mean the title was ever "light." It dealt with some heavy stuff. Hell, Dick and Kori being in bed while unmarried was quite the scandal back in the day, wasn't it?

The Titans like to tell a joke, but they are far and away more grim-angst than anything.

If a writer takes the Titans in a humorous direction, great. I loved Young Justice by Peter David largely because it didn't take itself terribly seriously all the time (though it certainly had its moments, especially later on). But that's not what the Titans have been up to this point. At least since the 80's revival.....and let's be honest, the only good thing to come out of the original series was the concept and Donna (and that only through a miscommunication in the offices).
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I didn't read the article. Mostly because the premise feels terribly flawed to me.

Maybe the author was thinking of Young Justice, but the Titans have rarely (if ever) been a bright, funny, happy, humor book. Unless the death of Donna's infant child and subsequent divorce, Raven going evil (how many times now?), Slade manipulating and sleeping with a girl young enough to be his daughter, etc., is someone's definition of "light hearted." Just because the characters could be smartasses who told jokes to each other (laughing so they dont cry, I believe the saying is?) doesn't mean the title was ever "light." It dealt with some heavy stuff. Hell, Dick and Kori being in bed while unmarried was quite the scandal back in the day, wasn't it?

The Titans like to tell a joke, but they are far and away more grim-angst than anything.

If a writer takes the Titans in a humorous direction, great. I loved Young Justice by Peter David largely because it didn't take itself terribly seriously all the time (though it certainly had its moments, especially later on). But that's not what the Titans have been up to this point.
    Yup. Wally's powers slowly killing him because Wolfman didn't know how to write someone with super speed, Gar trying to hide all of his pain dealing with his powers and the fallout from the deaths of the original Doom Patrol through laughter, Roy's on and off again struggles with addiction, Vic trying to come to grips with being more machine than man and his extreme Daddy issues, Tula's death, etc.

Teen Titans without "grim" teen angst is like Aquaman without water (and it has been like that since at least the Nixon era even before the W/P NTT run)

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    I'm in the middle of a reread of this series.
    I need to do that again myself. It may be dated but I still recall having a lot of fun with it in spite of that.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    I need to do that again myself. It may be dated but I still recall having a lot of fun with it in spite of that.
    I always like to think when reading how the series would be handled more modern sensibilities.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics