Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

I guess the seeking a cure for her disease. Also what if she did on purpose to gain media attention?

I'd prefer they stick with (or develop really) a mad doctor/scientist background for her and not just one that's muscle-for-hire.

Despite Robinson's poor run, Steve's interview with her after her capture in one of the middle issues is probably the most dialogue we've had with her in years - and I thought it was okay or at least left plenty of room for her character development. While displaying a contemptible personality, the short scene also showed her intelligence.

Anyway, I like the made doctor/scientist angle because it'll eventually give her more depth and more "places to go" as a character and as an adversary of Diana.

She has a lot of untapped potential as Giganta and as Doris Zeul. Besides there's something intriguing and horrifying about Diana and all her doctor-themed foes. Cale is the human mad doctor; Barbara is the were-creature archeologist and anthropologist extraordinaire; Psycho is the psionic mind control/ectoplasmic occultist master; Poison is the remorseless biochemist and pharmacologist; Cyber is the disembodied soul in the machine and biomechanist; and Giganta fills the ruthless, monstrous woman specializing in genetics and zoology...and all of these doctors function in a world where metahumans, deities, demigods, mythical creatures, Atlanteans, Homo Magi, Amazons, extraterrestrials, extradimensionals, magical, etc. species exist.

Besides owning ARGUS, this is a fascinating corner of the DCU for Wonder Woman and the Amazons and some of her adversaries to own and develop. So many ethical questions and so much adventure for Diana's foes to grapple with in their work, studies, and plays for power and dominance. I see Giganta as developing some of that and giving other scientists and doctors in the DCU a run for their money and their intelligence in these matters.

I also like it as it plays off some of Marston's intent with psychological and intelligent, but misguided, foes. The "educated" evil factor is a nice parallel to his involvement in higher education, science, and the psychological and ethical situations and dilemmas he was interested in.
    Last edited by WonderScott; 08-26-2018 at 02:42 PM.

Due to the many stereotypes of the mad scientist trope, how should this work for Giganta?

Mighty Member

We all know Giganta is a physical threat (which is why she tends to be used as fodder a lot). When it comes to great villains, some tend to challenge the hero’s world views. When it comes to Wonder Woman, I like to think of her believing that people are naturally good, where I’d like to think of some of her rogues (especially the non public domain mythology based ones) feel that humanity in general are all self serving jerks. Now how would we fit Giganta with this rather cynical based mind set in a way that it would believably have Diana second guess people every now and then?

So what have been Giganta’s best moments. One thing is other than Superfriends , she hasn’t gotten to many animation media’s.

I mean get why she is hired for muscles but can’t we add her intelligence more. I mean with her muscle and brains meets her threatening. What other power can we give her. I mean if we have her messing around with genetics why else could she give herself? One thing is maybe Doris should not be looking for anything maybe ever before Diana shows up she is already Giganta.
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 08-28-2018 at 10:14 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    So what have been Giganta’s best moments.
    Her appearances in All-New Atom and Secret Six really stand out.

I mean get why she is hired for muscles but can’t we add her intelligence more. I mean with her muscle and brains meets her threatening. What other power can we give her. I mean if we have her messing around with genetics why else could she give herself? One thing is maybe Doris should not be looking for anything maybe ever before Diana shows up she is already Giganta.
    Well id honestly compare this to Bane. When he pops up in most forms of media he is treated as dumb mindless muscle because everyone thinks of him for his muscles. Despite this, he was created to also be smarter than Batman in order to be this ultimate foe. Secret Six did wonders with him but you would still have writers portraying him as the lamest of Batmans foes.

Assuming you want to push forward with making Giganta a bigger threat, the most important thing is giving her a worthy motive. She could have no powers at all and only have her intelligence like many of Wonder Womans other foes but still be considered a great threat if she had goals that made her so dangerous.
    Baroness was willing to see the world burn if it meant getting her child back.
    Veronica Cale views Wonder Woman as this goddess who looks down on everyone and wants to ruin her.
    Golden age Giganta blamed Wonder Woman for the loss of her child and wanted to destroy Wonder Woman utterly.

Give her a powerful motivation. Give her some henchmen. And you don't really need to do much more than let her run wild and try to make her goal a reality.

Incredible Member

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Her appearances in All-New Atom and Secret Six really stand out.
    Is the All-New Atom the Ryan Choi series written by Simone?

Does this mean that the best Giganta moments are all by Simone?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    Is the All-New Atom the Ryan Choi series written by Simone?
    Yes it is.

Does this mean that the best Giganta moments are all by Simone?
    Now that you mention it... I suppose so.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    Well id honestly compare this to Bane. When he pops up in most forms of media he is treated as dumb mindless muscle because everyone thinks of him for his muscles. Despite this, he was created to also be smarter than Batman in order to be this ultimate foe. Secret Six did wonders with him but you would still have writers portraying him as the lamest of Batmans foes.

Assuming you want to push forward with making Giganta a bigger threat, the most important thing is giving her a worthy motive. She could have no powers at all and only have her intelligence like many of Wonder Womans other foes but still be considered a great threat if she had goals that made her so dangerous.
    Baroness was willing to see the world burn if it meant getting her child back.
    Veronica Cale views Wonder Woman as this goddess who looks down on everyone and wants to ruin her.
    Golden age Giganta blamed Wonder Woman for the loss of her child and wanted to destroy Wonder Woman utterly.

Give her a powerful motivation. Give her some henchmen. And you don't really need to do much more than let her run wild and try to make her goal a reality.
    Wasn't Golden age Giganta a gorilla? I mean we can still give her a child. But how do we make her different from Cale now? I mean instead of being stolen by a god. I feel that both Gignata and her child should have the same disorder or something worst. She experiments on her own daughter to help her. That's until Diana stop she.

Because writers think she’s lame. That’s not me speaking definitively, just my own personal opinion on the matter. It’s why you never see anyone outside of Cheetah or Circe in adaptions too.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Because writers think she’s lame. That’s not me speaking definitively, just my own personal opinion on the matter. It’s why you never see anyone outside of Cheetah or Circe in adaptions too.
    I think there’s an element of that. I mean when you read that summer comic story it’s almost a bit meta how nobody knows who she is or recognised her in her home town. Like she goes up to a guy and he’s “should I remember you” and she has this scowl on her face. Plus it plays on a “nobody cares you and your blood disease”. You’d think there weren’t too many giant red heads that fight Wonder Woman but apparently she can be mistaken as “that giant woman”. I felt the writer was being playful with the villains being a bit obscure.

I tend to get the impression that she’s been a lot more prominent in the cartoons than in the comics. Cheetah and Circe weren’t as prevalent in the Justice League Animated for example; whereas Giganta was a recurring character.

There are times where the writers can be paradoxical. For example in one Justice League comic she’s lumped with some of the forgotten losers club villains that’s almost quaint nostalgia to fight and then in a WW comic a few months later she’s once again suddenly she’s one of WW classic villains. Then in the summer story you have both where she obviously has a recurring history with WW but nobody knows who she is? It can’t be both.

I dont think they would be writing any stories about her if they thought she was lame. In fact I suspect they actually think Giant Woman shifts comics. But I think they believe that a story arc with Wonder Woman and Giganta would be lame. That WW story is best told by focusing on her links to Greek mythology and her status as an immensely powerful superhero. Which is why most of the character pieces they did have been focused on Giganta herself; as opposed to her relationship/conflict with WW. The best example of this was during the New 52 where they did a story arc with the character but exiled her into the Pandora comic whilst WW went through Azarellos run.
    Last edited by Totalwar1402; 08-31-2018 at 06:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Totalwar1402 View Post
    I dont think they would be writing any stories about her if they thought she was lame. In fact I suspect they actually think Giant Woman shifts comics. But I think they believe that a story arc with Wonder Woman and Giganta would be lame. That WW story is best told by focusing on her links to Greek mythology and her status as an immensely powerful superhero. Which is why most of the character pieces they did have been focused on Giganta herself; as opposed to her relationship/conflict with WW. The best example of this was during the New 52 where they did a story arc with the character but exiled her into the Pandora comic whilst WW went through Azarellos run.
    Yeah, the mythologic-cosmic stories have been a cancer ever since Azzarello's run (and one can maybe make a case that it started with Perez's run). Rucka could balance the mythic with Man's World, but few other writers have shown themselves capable of doing so.

So what would be one arc for Gignata to be in? Honestly a lot of writers leave her intelligence out. While I will agree due to her experiments her anger side it much more shown in her large form. She should still use her intelligence.

What if her motives were simple. She simply think humans should be turned into the savages they are. But focuses only on their angry sides. Someone wronged her and so experiments on people who wronged her
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 09-01-2018 at 10:11 AM.

All-New Member

So what would be one arc for Gignata to be in? Honestly a lot of writers leave her intelligence out. While I will agree due to her experiments her anger side it much more shown in her large form. She should still use her intelligence.

What if her motives were simple. She simply think humans should be turned into the savages they are. But focuses only on their angry sides. Someone wronged her and so experiments on people who wronged her
    I don’t know. Not every villain has to be an evil megalomaniac. Think Catwoman. You have this selfish narcissist who can be opposed to the hero but who is mostly treat with sympathetically and they toy with her joining the hero. It’s hard to tell because Giganta has functionally not really been in a WW story for many years but that’s the sort of character they depict her as. She’s out for herself and is cynical about Wonder Woman and herself. For example she doesn’t just go crazy because she’s bullied. She becomes a doctor to help people, but the cure she uses out of desperation brings out the worst in her personality.

The obvious place to go with such a character is for WW to try to win this person over. Perhaps WW realises that she’s just been punching this person in the face rather than talking to them. Then they team up against some other threat. Basically WW tries to prove to Doris she’s wrong about herself and she can be a good person.

I mean she doesn’t need to have a grand take over world plan. Maybe she just plans to get rich by robbing Fort Knox or her antics inadvertently cause a lot of destruction and problems for others. Maybe she herself has issues with that. I dunno but it’s not impossible to work her into a story with WW.