Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Okay she is a scientist. Her motives were against good. Why not make her a anti-hero if she doesn’t always have to be evil. She could still use all of her smartest on helping people. Just doesn’t want to do the legal way she been going by. Because that legal way caused problems and caused her to be turned into what she is now. She wants to be like this permanentlyas a symbol of sorts

Incredible Member

With Wonder Woman, I actually wonder why writers don't mine the fact that Diana comes from a society of women, and as a result, she never had to experience the effects of patriarchy in her more formative years. An interesting backstory I think could work well for Giganta and tie into her powers is the feeling of invisibility. What if Giganta had a brother who both her mother and father loved more because he was their only son. Giganta could never compare and she is constantly overshadowed by her brother. This fuels her academically, and she is the top student at her school - maybe even valedictorian - and she is accepted to one of the top universities in the world and eventually pursues a career in science. She believes academic and professional pursuits will earn her the love she desperately wants from her parents, but they still favor her less accomplished brother. After getting her doctorate in science, she finds herself in a similar situation as in her childhood. She is still overshadowed by the men in her field even if she is technically more skilled and talented in her work. Finally, tired of being invisible, Giganta creates some formula that she uses herself as a test subject. This formula gives her the ability to grow 50 feet and no one can ever make her feel invisible again.

No one except for Wonder Woman. Giganta can resent that Diana is effortlessly seen and beloved by the public and that Diana was "saved" from having to be overshadowed by men all her life. We can even use that Giganta is one of Wondy's oldest villains yet has never truly reached iconic heights as part of her motivation. What if she hates that even among Diana's relatively small group of recurring villains that she (Giganta) is still easily overlooked and forgotten. That could make her resentful of being the "muscle" in a team, and make her dynamic with other rogues, especially the "leader" rogues like Ares, Circe, Cale, Joker and Luthor much more antagonistic and intriguing as we are currently trying to discover if Giganta is truly an ally or just waiting for the perfect opportunity to betray the leader and usurp the team.

Part of Giganta's role as the GIANT WOMAN is being the invisible woman that is desperately trying to prove her worth but always coming short. This gives motivation for her to hate Wonder Woman and can also create unique dynamics with other Wonder rogues, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by PopQuezy View Post
    With Wonder Woman, I actually wonder why writers don't mine the fact that Diana comes from a society of women, and as a result, she never had to experience the effects of patriarchy in her more formative years. An interesting backstory I think could work well for Giganta and tie into her powers is the feeling of invisibility. What if Giganta had a brother who both her mother and father loved more because he was their only son. Giganta could never compare and she is constantly overshadowed by her brother. This fuels her academically, and she is the top student at her school - maybe even valedictorian - and she is accepted to one of the top universities in the world and eventually pursues a career in science. She believes academic and professional pursuits will earn her the love she desperately wants from her parents, but they still favor her less accomplished brother. After getting her doctorate in science, she finds herself in a similar situation as in her childhood. She is still overshadowed by the men in her field even if she is technically more skilled and talented in her work. Finally, tired of being invisible, Giganta creates some formula that she uses herself as a test subject. This formula gives her the ability to grow 50 feet and no one can ever make her feel invisible again.

No one except for Wonder Woman. Giganta can resent that Diana is effortlessly seen and beloved by the public and that Diana was "saved" from having to be overshadowed by men all her life. We can even use that Giganta is one of Wondy's oldest villains yet has never truly reached iconic heights as part of her motivation. What if she hates that even among Diana's relatively small group of recurring villains that she (Giganta) is still easily overlooked and forgotten. That could make her resentful of being the "muscle" in a team, and make her dynamic with other rogues, especially the "leader" rogues like Ares, Circe, Cale, Joker and Luthor much more antagonistic and intriguing as we are currently trying to discover if Giganta is truly an ally or just waiting for the perfect opportunity to betray the leader and usurp the team.

Part of Giganta's role as the GIANT WOMAN is being the invisible woman that is desperately trying to prove her worth but always coming short. This gives motivation for her to hate Wonder Woman and can also create unique dynamics with other Wonder rogues, as well.
    What you're talking about has been done for decades. Your proposed story is basically Veronica Cale in Rucka's first run in place of Giganta.

Incredible Member

I understand that. Giganta has also experimented on herself before in other runs. However, I actually think the idea of a woman feeling invisible while being 50 ft tall is one that works exceptionally well for Giganta. Since Cale's backstory has been changed, there is no reason not to take some elements from her story and give them to a character where I think it will fit better.

With Wonder Woman, I actually wonder why writers don't mine the fact that Diana comes from a society of women, and as a result, she never had to experience the effects of patriarchy in her more formative years.
    That is something I've observed as well: most Wonder Woman writers have been shying away, for whatever reason, from exploring Diana's reaction to patriarchy, misogyny, and gender. The only writer that I know have pushed this post-Marston has been Rucka. Simone is also obviously capable, but she went the other direction and explored the cracks and fissures in Amazon society more closely. I really hope Wilson will go there.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    What you're talking about has been done for decades. Your proposed story is basically Veronica Cale in Rucka's first run in place of Giganta.
    Done by Rucka, yes, but who else? And Diana's reaction to structural patriarchy and misogyny can easily fill entire arcs.

They say Wonder Woman is a feminist icon? Then make her one.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    That is something I've observed as well: most Wonder Woman writers have been shying away, for whatever reason, from exploring Diana's reaction to patriarchy, misogyny, and gender. The only writer that I know have pushed this post-Marston has been Rucka. Simone is also obviously capable, but she went the other direction and explored the cracks and fissures in Amazon society more closely. I really hope Wilson will go there.

Done by Rucka, yes, but who else? And Diana's reaction to structural patriarchy and misogyny can easily fill entire arcs.

They say Wonder Woman is a feminist icon? Then make her one.
    Perez did it in the 80s. As did Eric Luke and Eilliam Messer-Loebs.

I would still keep her very tall even before she experiments. Interesting it's somewhat liek Cale's backstory. That Diana shows up but I llike Rucka's second story with her more. Maybe Gignata does wind up becoming a mother but winds up becoming like her parents. SHe is so obessions proving to her parnets she is worthy that she forgets her daughter.It's not until after she is first locked up by Diana does she sees this. She becomes a lovingn mother but still a criminal However, due to experiemnting on herself her angry is hard to control and due to the sitution of Diana. She can easily go back. I also feel that Giganata's daughter should have a loving father. That also is why Doris wants to kill the father of a daughter. He is everything she never had.

All-New Member

To be honest I feel like the current characterisation of Giganta is fine. I don’t think that’s as important an issue. She is a victim who came into power and does not see any reason to play by Good Girl rules anymore. The world was not kind to her so why should she be kind to the world? It’s rich for WW to complain about that when she hasn’t lived the life of an ordinary person like her. She’s too cynical to recognise that WW is an example she should follow and that she’s giving up on her better nature. That seems to be what they’re driving at currently.

I only know about Veronica Cale from what I heard on a Beyond the Trailer video. But I’d say that she’s different because Giganta has a more humble origin; literally just a small town girl. There’s a more sympathetic element. She doesn’t want to destroy WW, she simply sees her as an impediment to getting what she wants. Her main bitterness is with the world not WW like with Cale.

Quote Originally Posted by Totalwar1402 View Post
    To be honest I feel like the current characterization of Giganta is fine. I don’t think that’s as important an issue. She is a victim who came into power and does not see any reason to play by Good Girl rules anymore. The world was not kind to her so why should she be kind to the world? It’s rich for WW to complain about that when she hasn’t lived the life of an ordinary person like her. She’s too cynical to recognize that WW is an example she should follow and that she’s giving up on her better nature. That seems to be what they’re driving at currently.

I only know about Veronica Cale from what I heard on a Beyond the Trailer video. But I’d say that she’s different because Giganta has a more humble origin; literally just a small town girl. There’s a more sympathetic element. She doesn’t want to destroy WW, she simply sees her as an impediment to getting what she wants. Her main bitterness is with the world not WW like with Cale.
    So a woman who was smart and intelligent but couldn't go anyway in life. I mean is Doris still a scientist

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    So a woman who was smart and intelligent but couldn't go anyway in life. I mean is Doris still a scientist
    Well her current origin is mostly told to us in the Pandora comic so the details aren’t that clear. The summer story gives only relates the part she is being abused at school.

Basically she has this horrible blood condition which makes her really small, weak and sickly (irony). She gets horrendous abuse for this but she’s smart and still wants to help weak people like her. So she’s able to become a doctor but she’s on borrowed time. Desperate she makes a formula which does cure her, makes her physically stronger/taller and able to become a giant. However it pushes her over the edge because it makes her less intelligent and violent. Which means it’s strongly implied that her true nature is a good person it’s just buried under layers of resentment and warped thinking. She couldn’t go anywhere in life because she was dying and people weren’t exactly sympathetic about her suffering.

So her being a doctor is a means to an end. To be fair they could simply say she retains more of her intelligence and does stuff like try to enhance herself or turn a profit. They haven’t been too clear on that and this is mostly New 52 so that’s something they could change.
    Last edited by Totalwar1402; 09-02-2018 at 02:27 AM.

To be honest I feel like the current characterisation of Giganta is fine. I don’t think that’s as important an issue. She is a victim who came into power and does not see any reason to play by Good Girl rules anymore. The world was not kind to her so why should she be kind to the world? It’s rich for WW to complain about that when she hasn’t lived the life of an ordinary person like her. She’s too cynical to recognise that WW is an example she should follow and that she’s giving up on her better nature. That seems to be what they’re driving at currently.

Cale grew up in poverty as the daughter of a stripper. You'd be hard pressed to get more humble than that.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Cale grew up in poverty as the daughter of a stripper. You'd be hard pressed to get more humble than that.
    Well as I said I don’t know too much about the character. The way the girl on Beyond the Trailer described her was “feminist Lex Luther” so that’s the limit of my knowledge.

By the sound of it that is a problem. The whole “Iam going to save you” is to close to Cheetah. The “Iam an ordinary person that suffered unlike perfect WW” is too close to Cale. Iam not sure about all the nuances with those two. What exactly is Cale all about?

Incredible Member

Well as I said I don’t know too much about the character. The way the girl on Beyond the Trailer described her was “feminist Lex Luther” so that’s the limit of my knowledge.

By the sound of it that is a problem. The whole “Iam going to save you” is to close to Cheetah. The “Iam an ordinary person that suffered unlike perfect WW” is too close to Cale. Iam not sure about all the nuances with those two. What exactly is Cale all about?
    Is this still Cale's backstory though? In Rebirth, her hostility to Wonder Woman is because she blames Diana for her daughter being stolen from her by demi-gods and being trapped (based on how Cale sees it) in Themyscira where she can never see her daughter again. Before this, she didn't seem to care for Wonder Woman strongly one way or the other.

I know this is about Giganta and not Cale, but I actually wish they made Cale older in Rebirth. There is an interesting mother/daughter dynamic they could have explored in Diana and Cale's relationship since Diana is separated from her mom and Cale her daughter.

So how about this. She simply is the invisible girl. Despite her red hair and height she is simply invisible. She starts to use her height to her what she wants. She gets a diease and than starts going on the right path but not for the gods of others. She saw how people who bullied her were treated when they were sick. She sees it has the survival of the fitness

BANNED

What's wrong with having villains just be bad people who didn't need a sad story to turn evil?

Not every single last supervillain needs to be Magneto.