Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

If Lois is in fact revealed to be the Cloud........

Okay, this is the enforcer for the crime ring that Superman doesn't even know exists. They've been under his radar all this time.

Wouldn't it be the most "Lois Lane" thing to do, to create a villainous persona and sneak her way into that crime ring and (try to) take it down from within, since they're so good at avoiding Clark's notice? This could be a "Green Hornet" situation; Lois isn't actually killing anyone, she's not actually a villain, she's really doing heroic work under the guise of villainy. It only looks like she's killing people, when she's really faking their deaths and then sending them off to witness protection or something. This gets Lois in close to the story and it saves lives. It leaves the door open for tons of conflict between her and Clark, but still provides room for Lois to get in over her head and need Clark to lend a hand pulling her out of the fire.

If (and that's IF) they reveal that Lois is this Red Cloud......that's my guess on how it'll play out. That keeps Lois' character intact and gives her both a solid "reporter" arc as well as a full-blown "heroic" arc (albeit as a pretend villain), it keeps the promise of "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" drama, and it showcases how brave and badass Lois is (which Bendis has mentioned a lot).
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    If Lois is in fact revealed to be the Cloud........

Okay, this is the enforcer for the crime ring that Superman doesn't even know exists. They've been under his radar all this time.

Wouldn't it be the most "Lois Lane" thing to do, to create a villainous persona and sneak her way into that crime ring and (try to) take it down from within, since they're so good at avoiding Clark's notice? This could be a "Green Hornet" situation; Lois isn't actually killing anyone, she's not actually a villain, she's really doing heroic work under the guise of villainy. It only looks like she's killing people, when she's really faking their deaths and then sending them off to witness protection or something. This gets Lois in close to the story and it saves lives. It leaves the door open for tons of conflict between her and Clark, but still provides room for Lois to get in over her head and need Clark to lend a hand pulling her out of the fire.

If (and that's IF) they reveal that Lois is this Red Cloud......that's my guess on how it'll play out. That keeps Lois' character intact and gives her both a solid "reporter" arc as well as a full-blown "heroic" arc (albeit as a pretend villain), it keeps the promise of "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" drama, and it showcases how brave and badass Lois is (which Bendis has mentioned a lot).
    The thing is, if it's met with any modicum of positive reception, I can see DC editorial going hard at villain Lois. I don't trust Didio one bit. I think he'd love nothing more than to have her one up Lex as his greatest villain were it possible. The tragedy! The scandal of it all, why it's positively dripping with broodbait for Superman! Finally he can match Batman in popularity! Hard pass from me.

But yes, while that feels very Lois, I'm not sure it's something I want to read about and I dislike Lois and Clark keeping something this big from one another. Or what's up with Jon for that matter. I could be wrong, though. Maybe Donnie Brasko Lois Lane could be great. I would still prefer we don't go down that path. It reeks of an angsty Superman I'd rather do without.

All that aside, I just don't think Red Cloud is a good path to take Lois down and I'm hoping she's more the Red Herring.

I'm a bit sad that Superman Year One #1 wasn't mentioned in those November solicitations. Maybe it's being delayed a bit further? Oh well, as long as it gets done

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    The thing is, if it's met with any modicum of positive reception, I can see DC editorial going hard at villain Lois. I don't trust Didio one bit. I think he'd love nothing more than to have her one up Lex as his greatest villain were it possible. The tragedy! The scandal of it all, why it's positively dripping with broodbait for Superman! Finally he can match Batman in popularity! Hard pass from me.
    Every time they've tried to make Lois act even a little bit out-of-character, it's resulted in them backing down with saving throws or retcons. This one has an in-built excuse in that you can assume a clone or something is running around and Lois is still in space.

I don't mind Lois being Red Cloud so long as the status quo snaps back into place, which judging from Doomsday Clock, it will. I know you don't like Doomsday Clock being regarded as gospel, but it's our biggest indicator DC won't do what you and others are constantly fearing they'll do. I'd worry more about what happens in Doomsday Clock or what happens beyond it than anything done from now until early 2019. At the moment, we have a safety net.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Every time they've tried to make Lois act even a little bit out-of-character, it's resulted in them backing down with saving throws or retcons. This one has an in-built excuse in that you can assume a clone or something is running around and Lois is still in space.

I don't mind Lois being Red Cloud so long as the status quo snaps back into place, which judging from Doomsday Clock, it will. I know you don't like Doomsday Clock being regarded as gospel, but it's our biggest indicator DC won't do what you and others are constantly fearing they'll do. I'd worry more about what happens in Doomsday Clock or what happens beyond it than anything done from now until early 2019. At the moment, we have a safety net.
    It's more that Didio clashes with Johns over the direction of the DCU and seems to be pushing against it more than usual of late, so I see him trying to downplay stuff that he doesn't want that is in Doomsday Clock.

I still don't think it's Lois, if only because too many things in the solicits point there. Some dialogue also makes me think it's someone else.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Wouldn't it be the most "Lois Lane" thing to do, to create a villainous persona and sneak her way into that crime ring and (try to) take it down from within, since they're so good at avoiding Clark's notice? This could be a "Green Hornet" situation; Lois isn't actually killing anyone, she's not actually a villain, she's really doing heroic work under the guise of villainy.
    But then, why injure Guardian?

And Bendis said he had Moxy killed on Twitter because he called his tech guy autistic in a derogatory manner and wanted to give him a fitting comeuppance.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    It's more that Didio clashes with Johns over the direction of the DCU and seems to be pushing against it more than usual of late, so I see him trying to downplay stuff that he doesn't want that is in Doomsday Clock
    Maybe those are the real reasons for the delays in Doomsday Clock? Creative changes and rewrites once Johns was freed up from his obligations? That's why I'd worry more about what goes on in that and eventually what happens after than anything set chronologically before it. It's easier to swallow right now because this is the "Empire Strikes Back" phase of the Rebirth era where it all goes to hell for everyone, but whether or not 'Clock has a "Return of the Jedi" like ending that restores the hope and wholesomeness is another matter with Didio and Lee in full control.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 08-25-2018 at 12:56 AM.