Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wonder Woman November solicitations

WONDER WOMAN #58
    written by G. WILLOW WILSON
    art by CARY NORD
    cover by TERRY DODSON and RACHEL DODSON
    variant cover by JENNY FRISON
    blank variant cover available
    “THE JUST WAR” part one! A new era of Wonder Woman begins as best-selling writer G. Willow Wilson (Ms. Marvel) makes her return to DC with art star Cary Nord (Conan, THE UNEXPECTED) joining the series!
    Far below Themyscira, Ares, the God of War, has been imprisoned for generations, repenting his past sins. But his new cellmate Grail may have an unexpected effect on him...and the plan they’ve come up with will change Themyscira—and the world— forever! When Wonder Woman rushes to Eastern Europe to rescue Steve Trevor from a mission gone wrong, she’ll find herself face-to-face with a very new, very different God of War!
    ON SALE 11.14.18
    $3.99 US | 32 PAGES
    FC | RATED T
    This issue will ship with three covers.
    Please see the order form for details.

WONDER WOMAN #59
    written by G. WILLOW WILSON
    art by CARY NORD
    cover by TERRY DODSON and RACHEL DODSON
    variant cover by JENNY FRISON
    “THE JUST WAR” part two! It’s true, Ares has been reborn on Earth—but has he changed for the better? Of all the role models in the world, he seems to have chosen...Wonder Woman?! Diana and Steve Trevor better watch their backs, because Ares isn’t the only creature of myth to find his way to Man’s World...and he’s not the only resurrected Olympian either!
    ON SALE 11.28.18
    $3.99 US | 32 PAGES
    FC | RATED T
    This issue will ship with two covers.
    Please see the order form for details.

JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK #5
    written by JAMES TYNION IV
    art by DANIEL SAMPERE and JUAN ALBARRAN
    cover by NICOLA SCOTT
    variant cover by GREG CAPULLO and JONATHAN GLAPION
    Wonder Woman’s magic act…banned! The DCU’s magical community collectively freaks out and forbids Wonder Woman and the JL Dark team from meddling in magic anymore after the disastrous events of the “Witching Hour” storyline. The team seeks refuge in the only place they can think of: Detective Chimp’s inherited, magical realm of Myrra—but not everyone is happy to bow to the new Nightmaster! So how can things get worse for the sorcery super-team? One word: dragons!
    ON SALE 11.21.18

I wonder could it be Zeus?

Huh. I'd have hoped that Wilson had chosen to explore more "grounded" adventures instead of bringing back the Olympian gods immediately.

Not that bringing back the Olympians is bad, but right now Wonder Woman seems to be stuck in high-mythology, high-magic, and world-at-stakes stuff, both in her own title and in JLD. I'd hope the DC editors would try to get some more variety in the challenges. On the other hand, "Steve is in trouble" is nearly always a good storyline.

Given that Tynion referenced A League of One in the first JLD, I imagine the team is in for a challenge. Or will be it exeunt, pursued by a dragon?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Since Wilson listed Rucka as an influence, I hope her take on Ares is similar to the one in his first run. If we have to have an untrustworthy and villainous Ares, that's what I'd like.

Ugh, I immediately thought of Zeus, the only other Olympian we know who will be dead soon is Poseidon and it seems pointless to resurrect him right away. Hopefully she can utilize Zeus and the parentage in a less obnoxious way than Robinson, but that's a low bar so I'm not too worried.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Surprised to see Grail back already, guess they are determined to make her a longtime WW villain.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Surprised to see Grail back already, guess they are determined to make her a longtime WW villain.
    I still feel that they haven't actually shown why Grail should be in her rogue gallery.

Incredible Member

Hmmmm... I remain optimistic and excited to read Wilson's arc, but I must admit I'm a little disappointed she seems to be focusing on mythology and resurrecting Olympians - more than likely Zeus. I know this is a first arc, but I was hoping to see more of Wondy's human/metahuman rogues. I especially would love to see what Wilson would do with Psycho. Again, I remain optimistic, but I wish the first arc didn't seem it was exclusively focusing on Gods and mythology.

I look forward to reading this.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Another story involving gods. How unique........
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Incredible Member

Maybe Wilson will be able to make Grail interesting? Here's hoping!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    Maybe Wilson will be able to make Grail interesting? Here's hoping!
    Doubtful. I'm betting she's just a blip in the story since it's primarily about Ares.

I dunno. I respect the opinion of those who are tired of the gods, but I rather like them when writers get creative with them. Which is what I hope Wilson plans to do. I'm also curious to know what type of role Grail plays in all of this. I hope she's not just immediate fodder for the reborn Ares. Still think she has potential as a character. I still think it would be a good idea to turn her into an anti-hero while Ares goes back to being the classic bad guy.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Stop trying to make Grail happen, she's not happening.

Nonsense. Tell that to Black Hand. Lots of characters have been left twisting in the wind for decades and the right writer found a role for them.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Hope she does a better job with Grail than Robinson did. Won’t be hard. I’m lukewarm about Ares being a villain again but at least now the title has a direction.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I still feel that they haven't actually shown why Grail should be in her rogue gallery.
    I feel the same. But if Wilson wants to try so be it. Grail could serve as a “evil mirror” type foe like how Bane does for Bats and Zod does for Supes. I’d have been fine leaving her forgotten in that tree with Ares.
    Last edited by Vordan; 08-21-2018 at 01:08 PM.