Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

There is pretty tight continuity between the writers of WW Rebirth, for better or worse, so it's nice to see Wilson use Grail and paying attention to what Robinson did do an extent. I think that's the majority of the reason Grail is mentioned here, she was trapped with Ares in Robinson's run and addressing his freedom would naturally mean addressing where his cellmate went.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Nonsense. Tell that to Black Hand. Lots of characters have been left twisting in the wind for decades and the right writer found a role for them.
    Black Hand is a Silver Age villain who wasn't being shoved down readers throats as the new badass arch nemesis, though. They came on strong with Grail, and she got a mostly lukewarm reception. Revamping some older WW villains or Wilson creating her own makes more sense than continuing to try with Grail at this point.

I can feel that mindset, that she was pushed too hard and could use a break before someone wanted to pick her up again. But I stand by my belief that no character is irrevocably broken and useless. All it takes is one idea at the right time.

But to be fair to Wilson, maybe what she truly wants to use here is Ares, and she just knew that Grail comes with that because of the way things were left. In that case I'd consider it good on her that she's using pieces laid out already instead of the usual complete tear-down and ignoring of anything previous when it comes to incoming creative teams.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Nonsense. Tell that to Black Hand. Lots of characters have been left twisting in the wind for decades and the right writer found a role for them.
    Agree. I think its possible to take a bad character and make them good. I think its especially easy when said character was just written by mediocre or bad writers.

But to be fair to Wilson, maybe what she truly wants to use here is Ares, and she just knew that Grail comes with that because of the way things were left. In that case I'd consider it good on her that she's using pieces laid out already instead of the usual complete tear-down and ignoring of anything previous when it comes to incoming creative teams.
    That's what I took away from the solicits and her interviews; she hasn't once mentioned Grail while she has mentioned Ares as well as bringing back characters that haven't been seen for years. It definitely seems like it's an Ares story and Grail is just a small aspect of it.

Grail may very well simply mentionned by Ares, with him stating that he was able to leave Themiscyra because he was cured/had found balance or peace, while Grail kept returning to her darkness. So far, Wilson doesn't seem all that interested in her and I would prefer Grail to remain in limbo for a time and then returning with a writer having established something strong and stable for Diana (which I find utterly missing since Azzarello left) and then bring her back. I still think that she could be a great threat if someone remembered the fact that the only person she ever truly loved, as much as she can love anyone, is her mother and that she killed her. If dealing with such themes isn't right up Diana's alley, I don't know where Grail could pop up later...