Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Young Animal titles ending (for now) in August

Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

On one hand I'm disappointed, but on the other, the titles had a pretty long run considering what they are. I mean, Cave Carton getting a twenty odd issue series? Who would have thought that would ever happen? So in the long run Young Animal goes down as one of DC's successful small imprints, I think.

BANNED

Well atleast it fared better than Wildstorm. Doom Patrol will return and this imprint could be revived but it'll probably have different creators and books.

BANNED

Expect NAOH to follow suit in Decmeber/January with Terrifics and Unexpected surviving for a while.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

This is some tragic news. Shade the Changing Girl/Woman has been my favorite comic book. Just so new and narratively innovative. I'll read anything Castellucci does.

I also don't really feel like it was supposed to end with #6, but at least it isn't being just randomly cancelled. I honestly didn't think these books would be allowed to last as long as they have, which says a lot for the market and for DC's willingness to experiment.

The other books have all been stellar too, Way is a hell of a comics writer and a great editor/curator.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 05-10-2018 at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Armor of God View Post
    Expect NAOH to follow suit in Decmeber/January with Terrifics and Unexpected surviving for a while.
    Was new Challengers always scheduled as a six issue mini?

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

I been enjoying Eternity Girl and Shade the Changing Woman. I think Young Animals had a nice run.

Fantastic Member

Eternity Girl has been great (I know this was originally a mini anyways), and I've loved Shade in trades, as well as Carson's psychedelic artwork. This imprint just had an aesthetic that appealed to me, so it's sad to see it go. I hope Doom Patrol's continuation involves less delays (the constant delays of #11 confused my comic shop and they missed ordering the issue) as that was one of my favorite comics for a short while.

Fantastic Member

Not to derail the thread by why do you see Unexpected surviving longer than the others (beyond it getting a later start and only just reaching issue 7 in December)?

Three issue mini-series are the way to go.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Mighty Member

Such a waste. Was really enjoying these books too.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

And my DC pull list takes yet another hit.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

I wouldn't be surprised, as retailers will have to cut orders on something for the Superman and Justice League relaunches.
    Especially with some having incentive covers.
    This means titles currently selling low will likely go much lower to make up the difference.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

“I want to give everyone an update on Young Animal. In August, SHADE, CAVE CARSON, and MOTHER PANIC will end at issue 6 as we originally planned, alongside ETERNITY GIRL. ”
    Bull like this is what has really been irritating about my experience reading American Comics. I don't mind picking up a mini series in hopes of it getting more issues, that's pretty much why I bought Eternity Girl. It gets super annoying to be constantly lied to about what a series is going to be, if your not giving it more than 6 issues say it.

Ignoring my frustrations, I've really enjoyed Young Animal. Cave Carson, Shade, and Mother Panic have been great reads and I hope to see more from these creative teams in the future. And I will always been hoping for more Cave Carson, easily one of the best things I read in 2017.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

This is disappointing. Easily one of the best corners to come out of DC in a while. I hope this doesn't deter them from experimenting more like this, and I hope all of these titles see the light of day again in some capacity.