Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default An Idea: What if they made a DC film set exactly in the comics universe?

For some reason, an insane idea occured to me inside my head. The concept of Warner Brothers making a live action DC film that did not occur in DCEU continuity but instead of those of the comics. The hypothetical film would incorporate characters and costume completely accurate to those of the comics, and would feature no plot elements that contradict DC comic continuity. The film would impact the titles put out by DC, which would tie in with the movie in the form of one shots as to be accessible to new readers.

On the top of my head, there would be two main benefits to doing something such as this. Firstly, I would reckon there would be major hype and traction generated by the mere concept of such a film, and people would wonder how such a movie with that concept would play out. Secondly, having a DC movie set in comics continuity could probably generate interest in comics as an art form, thus leading more people to comic books.

There are problems to this concept however. This idea is dependent on the notion of most superhero consuming moviegoers being knowledgable of the fact that the DC and Marvel characters originated in the comic book format. Hopefully this is the case. Though probably there are a few people who think that Superman originated with the 1977 film of the same name, and Batman first appeared on the Adam West TV show. Also there is the argument: "most of the human population doesn't read comics so why would they care if there was a movie that was set in the DC Comics universe?" If the average does not care about such a film being made, at least I think a gargantuan amount of comics fans will be excited about this announcement and that aforementioned excited would trickle upwards towards more casual Dc fans.
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 08-20-2018 at 08:30 PM.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

It's fun to think about but would only happen if WB felt secure enough with the property to take that kind of experimental risk (definitely not the case at the moment), and even then, they have no financial interest in expanding comic books when movies will always rake in more. I could see it being tried with a high-quality animated movie first; those are kind of a middle ground between people who never read comics and those who do- many consume a lot of second-hand adaptations without ever buying a floppy.

Astonishing Member

Its a fascinating idea for sure. Maybe not something I necessarily see happening on the big-screen...but maybe in a big-budged 3D animated release perhaps.

Of course, given how loose 'comic continuity' is, there's certainly still a lot of room for leeway. But even if its set in a close enough facsimile of the 'mainstream' DCU, I think it should work.

The question is - what would be the real benefits of doing so, other than the sheer novelty of it?

The diehard comic-book fans may be interested, but they'll be the first to pick apart even the slightest perceived problem with the film. The general audiences might watch it because its a superhero movie and they don't care about the nitty-gritties of continuity.

At the end of the day, it'll pretty much be indistinguishable from any other comic-book movie if its accessible enough to people who aren't diehard comic-book fans...or it'll appeal to only the niche of comic-book fans and fail with general audiences if it relies too much on complex comic-book continuity.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Big budget superhero blockbusters are aimed at a much bigger audience than people who are already interested in superhero comics.

Same goes for Star Wars and lots of other genre films. The super-fans are just one part of the audience they are aiming for. Tailoring the films for only one part of that audience only ends up alienating the rest.

The success of Marvel Studios has been their ability to take what worked in the comics while updating and ditching the stuff that non-nerds don’t care about.

They are also different mediums. What works in comics doesn’t necessarily work on the screen.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Big budget superhero blockbusters are aimed at a much bigger audience than people who are already interested in superhero comics.

Same goes for Star Wars and lots of other genre films. The super-fans are just one part of the audience they are aiming for. Tailoring the films for only one part of that audience only ends up alienating the rest.

The success of Marvel Studios has been their ability to take what worked in the comics while updating and ditching the stuff that non-nerds don’t care about.

They are also different mediums. What works in comics doesn’t necessarily work on the screen.
    Basically this. Comics may be the source material for the characters, but it isn't the most popular medium featuring them by a long shot.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Extraordinary Member

It would have to be an Arkham Asylum or City thing where it’s an easily accessible story where you just take for granted the universe is established. You couldn’t follow up a comic arc into a film... maybe

Retired

It's a fascinating thing to think about, but as an experiment it would be too expensive for a live action movie to take the risk. However, in an animated series or even one of the live action CW shows, it would be a cool episode to insert, where for that episode only things shifted to the comic book universe and you saw things play out in that way, using common comic book conventions.

I think we should spend the rest of the thread talking about what would happen if it were animated, because the spirit of the idea is interesting, just limited in practical scope. It could potentially be a brilliant marketing strategy. I know people hate crossover events but fans would no doubt get excited at an animated feature with top talent written by a top writer that ties in the main books. Especially because animated features have to be tighter and a bit more concise than events, which often suffer delays or get stretched too thin or go off the rails a bit. Discounted DVD buys, digital buys, and limited theater release would be how fans engage that highly anticipated event. I think as long as the story is cool, it could change the game.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    It's a fascinating thing to think about, but as an experiment it would be too expensive for a live action movie to take the risk. However, in an animated series or even one of the live action CW shows, it would be a cool episode to insert, where for that episode only things shifted to the comic book universe and you saw things play out in that way, using common comic book conventions.
    I once had this idea of an animated crossover between the Arrowverse and a universe resembling the comic-book DCU. Among my anticipated meetings was CW Green Arrow and Batman, CW Barry Allen Flash and classic Wally West, Sara Lance and Black Canary, CW Supergirl meeting comic-book Superman etc.

OR...a crossover between the DCEU and the DCU.

I think a film like this could work better as a crossover with some other version of the DC characters. That way you really get to emphasise the distinctive characteristics of the more experienced 'mainstream' comic-book versions.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post

Basically this. Comics may be the source material for the characters, but it isn't the most popular medium featuring them by a long shot.
    As Darknight points out, Bored nailed it. A movie won't be worth the $ to its producers without broader appeal that comics fans can muster by ourselves. Even Marvel didn't try perfectly faithful adaptations. DC's animated fare can afford it because it's a lot less expensive to produce.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Something relatively straightforward such as JLA: YEAR ONE might have mass appeal if adapted straight-up.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Something relatively straightforward such as JLA: YEAR ONE might have mass appeal if adapted straight-up.

Well, an adaptation of a DCU story becomes just that...an adaptation.

I think the idea here is an original story set within the confines of comic-book DCU continuity.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Well, an adaptation of a DCU story becomes just that...an adaptation.

I think the idea here is an original story set within the confines of comic-book DCU continuity.
    And JLA: YEAR ONE has a story that can be done straight-up and general audiences will be able to pick it up just fine. There's nothing particularly complicated about that storyline.

Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    And JLA: YEAR ONE has a story that can be done straight-up and general audiences will be able to pick it up just fine. There's nothing particularly complicated about that storyline.

I think he means that any adaptation could possibly work, but the thread is asking about a film that involves and is constrained completely by current continuity. JLA Year One would be a great adaptation but it wouldn't suit the purposes of OP's idea as it clashes with continuity and is set in the past rather than the present.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    I think he means that any adaptation could possibly work, but the thread is asking about a film that involves and is constrained completely by current continuity. JLA Year One would be a great adaptation but it wouldn't suit the purposes of OP's idea as it clashes with continuity and is set in the past rather than the present.
    Yup, you got it bang on!

Though I have no problems with a story set in the past rather than the present.