Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Yeah, I'm not buying kid superheroes get kids into comics. Its existing comics fans who are buying Super Sons. And that is largely 30-40 something males, not kids. Its still Superman who will draw in new kids if they are to be drawn in, not Jon. Its still Batman who wil draw in new kids, not Damian. And, per the topic, it will be Diana herself who will draw in kids to her if they are to be drawn in, not a hypothetical kid.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 08-25-2018 at 05:26 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Do the kid super-heroes pull kids into comics or do the adult super-heroes? I remember in THE GREAT COMIC BOOK HEROES, Jules Feiffer comments on how they brought Robin into the Batman stories to give kids someone to identify with, but he and his pals despised Robin--they wanted to be Batman not Robin. The Boy Wonder just got in the way of that fantasy.

I think there's a 50-50 chance a kid will identify with or hate the kid sidekick. A lot of the time the sidekick is a drag on the story because this kid gets in trouble and makes stupid mistakes and gets in the way of the main super-hero's work. And the kid sidekicks are either too annoying or too sickeningly sweet. Being kids themselves, those readers know how kids should act so they can detect when the sidekick is not faithful to actual experience, while adults are mysterious to them so the grown-up super-hero is given more leeway.
    Actually, I've heard from a bunch of people with kids that enjoyed the series, and were disappointed it was canceled (barring the special currently going that takes place before the end of the main series). Being the kids of Batman and Superman, and in many ways reflecting their fathers, certainly helped.

All-New Member

Wonder Woman did have a kid Crisis screwed that up! Earth Two Steve and Diana had Fury (Hippolyta "Lyta") loved her and miss her. She was part of Infinity Inc. vol. 1

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Actually, I've heard from a bunch of people with kids that enjoyed the series, and were disappointed it was canceled (barring the special currently going that takes place before the end of the main series).
    I don't doubt that parents get a kick out of seeing super-heroes becoming parents. Since the readership has shifted to people of that age, it makes sense comics that reflect their experience are popular.

It doesn't need to be a biological child, a foster child works too. And the whole "hero/mentor" role gets even more interesting when they actually raise them.
    Last edited by marhawkman; 08-26-2018 at 08:49 AM.