Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default Mr and Mrs X #2 Recap and Review

SPOILERS AHEAD, OBVIOUSLY.

Let's get the obvious out of the way first. To steal a line from the issue, this book is *chef kiss* perfection. It's funny, fast-paced, and just generally delightful.

There is not even the slightest hint of a love triangle, unless you count the threesome that seems to be permanently happening in Deadpool's mind. Gambit is mildly jealous, but in the "it's not my business; I'm married to you now" way. He does call her "my bride" a lot, which seems deliberate. Rogue gives him no reason to experience greater jealousy.

Gambit and Rogue both have moments to shine. You see their respective skills, and see how they compliment each other. They really do make a great team on the field.

My only critique is a minor one. Deadpool is a BIG character. Like, he exists to steal the scene and get the best line, and he ends up doing that some of the time. I enjoyed his presence, I laughed a lot, he works well to bring in some fun tension, but it felt very Deadpool-centric at times.

So, to the recap...

The book opens on the former honeymoon ship where Gambit and Cerise have been taken captive by the Shi'ar Imperial Guard. Gambit springs her cuffs, but tells Cerise to wait until he is free before making a move. Unfortunately, at that point, the guard shoot down the ship with Rogue, Deadpool, and the egg. Cerise breaks out a teleporter that she attunes to the Shi'ar's bio-signatures and uses to take them far away. (Presumably, it works on all species in the empire, rather than just the feathery kind.)

Rogue and Deadpool are, of course, fine. Rogue's invulnerability sees her through the crash without a scratch, while the spacesuit is fancy enough to avoid strategic shredding. (I believe it's the underrated female writer component.) Deadpool is already regrowing his vital organs. It turns out that Wade wants the egg, and tries to convince Rogue that he laid it or pooped it. Rogue is unconvinced and asks him if he would walk away as his wedding gift, but he points out that he was not invited and that obviously affects the value of the gift.

While Rogue and Gambit are distracted with their reunion, Deadpool runs away with the egg, but is rapidly blown up by Gambit, with Rogue's permission.

When Gambit discovers its an egg, he utters one of the best lines in the book: "I feel like Kitty is trolling us makin' us babysit an egg on our honeymoon. This ain't s'posed to be some high school health class project." Plus, Gambit is the sex ed teacher. He assigns the egg babysitting, thank you very much.

After Deadpool recovers, a fight commences between him, and Gambit and Rogue. But Technet crashes the party with all their awesome Warren Ellis/Alan Davis weirdness. Gambit, Rogue, and Deadpool form a team-up to fight them. Deadpool defeats Joyboy with the power of his terrible, perverted thoughts, while Rogue temporarily gets a new and awful look that will haunt Gambit's nightmare and Deadpool's fantasies. Rogue borrows Yap's powers, and teleports them out of there. Unlike RuPaul, she does not want to be called Mother by him.

Back in the honeymoon ship, Gambit, Rogue, and Deadpool are debriefing, and Deadpool is assessing their respective "bacons." Gambit has good "bacons," which is unsurprising. Rogue is negotiating with Deadpool, and moving into threatening him, when the egg cracks. It's... a Rogue? Was Kitty right and they should have paid attention to space health class? Is it a happy ending for Deadpool? Does everyone now get a Rogue?

So much to love about this issue and this series. Deadpool always adds a little extra entertainment value to the mix and this was no exception. Love the whole deal with the egg. That certainly has some interesting ramifications, depending on what happens in the next issue. Hope there's more romantic moments between Rogue and Gambit as well. This series has done plenty to streamline their romance in ways we haven't seen since the 90s. It's quite an accomplishment and it makes me wish this was more than just a mini.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    So much to love about this issue and this series. Deadpool always adds a little extra entertainment value to the mix and this was no exception. Love the whole deal with the egg. That certainly has some interesting ramifications, depending on what happens in the next issue. Hope there's more romantic moments between Rogue and Gambit as well. This series has done plenty to streamline their romance in ways we haven't seen since the 90s. It's quite an accomplishment and it makes me wish this was more than just a mini.
    I have some great news for you, then. It is an ongoing! The first R&G was a mini, but MMX is not.

Good news MarvelMaster, it's an ongoing!!

Thanks for another awesome review DearMachine!

I agree, hands down the health class egg joke was my favorite laugh out loud moment. But there were MANY to choose from and yeah, Deadpool nearly stole the show.

Lots of great action. Glad to see Gambit picking locks, flipping around nimbly, and blowing crap up. Rogue is, as always, perfectly written under Kelly. My second biggest laugh was when she get's clobbered during her lecture to Deadpool and Gambit about being careful not to underestimate the Technet. Dialogue overall was fantastic.

And I had the same WTF reaction as Rogue on that last panel. I think we can effectively throw out the Phoenix egg, Shi'ar egg, and Momentary Princess theories. What is going on?! My current theory is that whatever has hatched imprinted on Rogue because she was the first barehanded individual to touch the egg. But who or what is it?

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    and it makes me wish this was more than just a mini.
    Its not.
    KT has said so a few times now. Its ongoing.
    HOW long it lasts, is, naturally, yet to be seen.

Such an amazing issue with tons of really great jokes and lots of action. Kelly is always great and I really enjoyed the art by Oscar in this issue.

Loved issue 2. Really fun and action packed. Deadpool was a great bonus.

Ending is weird.

BANNED

This book is better than most X-Fans I know deserve. KT keeps delivering. The joke about Gambit's "size" made laugh waaaay harder than I should. DP was a treasure in this.

It was good, but man that ending was hella weird, wicht obviously guarantee my reading the next issue

Another solid entertaining issue, it has a bit of everything, especially action and banter. Deadpool kinda stole the show a bit, but I can't complain because the result was incredibly funny.
    And the cliffhanger at the end was completely unexpected, can't wait till the next issue

Everything about this series has been great so far

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    It was good, but man that ending was hella weird, wicht obviously guarantee my reading the next issue
    You could say a lot about this issue was weird. The space mercs and their powers is arguably weirder than the ending. But that also makes for an entertaining and unpredictable series.

*Clutches Pearls* LeonardEugenius's Avatar

“omg, lol, it’s so cute” Rogue saying I and not Ah is a friggin travesty. And make up your mind, does Gambit have an accent or not?! I wish there were more substance to the dialogue than KT trying to be funny. Also, yawn at recycling the plot from the first issue. Uh oh, another team shows up! Surprise! And omg, lol, it’s a widdle baby Rogue. TEE-RASH. The art is superb though

Kelly actually makes a point that she has softened their accents down from the Claremont/Jim Lee era in her interview with Xplain the X-Men. Peoples accents do change over time especially in response to different environments where that same accent isn't present (i.e. you move from Texas to New York and spend a decade there).

Whatever comes out of the egg seems to have copied something when Rogue held the egg. This comic and Mystery in Madripoor had the most amazing endings this week.

Rank 8 out of 10 good action scenes and comedy in the right dose.

I feel sorry for Rogue and Gambit has been a terrible honeymoon so far but fun for readers .