Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Astonishing Member

Hugh Jackman was a legit discovery.

Patrick Stewart was well-cast.

Toad's physical overhaul was good and should have been done years ago.

Focusing on gay rights as the central civil rights metaphor was timely and served to make it cohesive with the also prominent coming-of-age theme.

They were never bad movies exactly. Most range from average to good. They just never felt like they evolved apace with the other movies in the superhero genre, making them feel like they're still stuck in the early 2000s. Also, the attempts at streamlining everything left us with a world that feels kind of small and almost all the character work in the movies based around two or three relationships.

Honestly I've had a bit of a roller coaster experience with these films.

BEST:
    In the beginning we all thought Hugh Jackman was going to ruin Wolverine and he proved even the most hardened skeptics wrong. Might have taken time, but he got there.

Every film took great care in how they handled Magneto and Prof X.

DOFP was a nice nod to both eras of the films and was entertaining even for its faults.

Say what you want about poor casting through the years, Famke had an excellent take on Jean. Might not have been what I expected, but it worked very well.

McKellin, Stewart, and Jackman did solid jobs.

First two were entertaining.

First Class has some fun moments, and luckily January Jones wasn't in that movie as a living caricature of my favorite character (deep breaths, deep breaths).

I've heard Logan was solid (I'm not big on Dark vs. Darker movies)

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

This was always my favorite scene

Quote Originally Posted by pandafarmer View Post
    Honestly I've had a bit of a roller coaster experience with these films.

BEST:
    In the beginning we all thought Hugh Jackman was going to ruin Wolverine and he proved even the most hardened skeptics wrong. Might have taken time, but he got there.

Every film took great care in how they handled Magneto and Prof X.

DOFP was a nice nod to both eras of the films and was entertaining even for its faults.

Say what you want about poor casting through the years, Famke had an excellent take on Jean. Might not have been what I expected, but it worked very well.
    Can't disagree more. Never understood what the hell was so special about Famke that Jean fans like her so much. She just screams 'meh' to me.

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Can't disagree more. Never understood what the hell was so special about Famke that Jean fans like her so much. She just screams 'meh' to me.
    Famke's performance was good, but her Jean was written as being a little too meek for my taste (prior to X3, and even then she was still 50/50). Sophie's take seems a bit more self-realized than Famke's. She still has her issues, but it doesn't feel like she's being pulled along by the other characters.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Robards, Comic Fan View Post
    Famke's performance was good, but her Jean was written as being a little too meek for my taste (prior to X3, and even then she was still 50/50). Sophie's take seems a bit more self-realized than Famke's. She still has her issues, but it doesn't feel like she's being pulled along by the other characters.
    I don't find her performance to be anything other than serviceable. And in X3 she was plain bad, and it's not just because of bad writing.