Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Unglaublich!

Nightcrawler's White House attack in X2. As close to perfect as it gets for me.

I've watched and rewatched that sequence I don't know how many times, and I doubt I'll ever get sick of watching it!

When they end.

Jackman Wolverine
    Fassbender Magneto
    Peters Quicksilver
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

I didn't grow up in the US so I had no clue who the X-Men were. I was 9 yo when the first movie came out and was completely blown away by all of it

Objectively speaking, the best thing about the Fox movies was Logan. The movie had its flaws but it really tried to do something no other superhero movie had ever done. And the special effects were pretty good across the entire series of movies.

I really have an emotional attachment to the movies though, especially the early ones.

I like that the fox movies feel like a movie First and a superhero movie second.

I can see how many people would actually consider this a weakness but, it’s Just my taste.i think this quality made them more serious and grounded than most superhero movies.

The fox movies certainly aren’t flawless but I get plenty of enjoyment out of them.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

BANNED

The casting has been fantastic, more often than not.

They should have cast a dark-skinned Storm though.

The soundtracks and themes, the Phoenix theme in particular. It made it feel like some epic **** was going down... if you had your eyes closed. Too bad it was wasted on these flicks.

You know, I harbor a lot of resentment with the Fox movies. Even as a kid in high school when X1 came out, I remember being torn. Externally I was like 'HELL YEAH! X-MEN!' with my friends with whom I saw the movie in theater...but inside I was like '...those aren't the X-Men I know...maybe that's ok, maybe it will bring the X-Men to the next level.' and I was happy for a bit. X2 continued to entertain, despite being so much different than I was used to. I ignored the black leather and cheesy lines or whatever. Jackman was a good Wolverine, etc.

But then the X-Men outside the movies sort of declined rapidly...in everything culminating with the near-erasure of them all up until a year or two ago. I realized then that Fox took a massive and powerful property and turned it niche. There were no X-Men shirts, no more toys, less and less X-Men in video games, they even disappeared from Marvel posters at the department store. Marvel was Avengers. Not X-Men. Fox and Disney/Marvel's feuds were to thank for that, but it damaged the fans. Unless of course all you cared about were the movies. In which case, sure, whatever floats your boat.

I guess my favorite thing about them was that they did get Kurt right in X2, and they got Colossus right in Deadpool, to a lesser extent I enjoyed Stewart as Xavier and Fassbender as Magneto. That's about all that stands out to me. My favorite X-Men characters, Rogue and Gambit...well, 'nuff said there I reckon.

Dancing in the Shadows Indigo_Lady's Avatar

The first Nightcrawler scene in the second movie was my favorite scene, and a perfect example of Kurt's skill as a fighter. Too bad the comic books writers have generally forgotten that. However, I am not a big fan of how Kurt was portrayed or his appearance. God please have the mouse get rid of those terrible scars, teeth and nails.

Considering the movies in their totality, DoFP was my favorite.

So what did I like about Fox Movies

- Logan showing us what superheroes movies can be and is middle finger to anyone saying superheroes are going to die out because of fatigue.

- X-2 and DoFP for semi respecting comic continuity being actually good "X-men" movies not just Movies being made X-men characters because they have the license

- Night Crawler X-2 sequences and Quicksilver sequences in Apocalypse and DoFP. Quicksilver scenes are so good it makes you forget that his movie design is stupid

- Hugh Jackman and Ryan Reynolds doing so good at playing their roles that it is hard to think of someone else playing the character

- Callisto had nothing in common with the comic book version she was pretty cool to me

- The Team X(Weapon X) I would have watch a whole action movie of them being the superhero "Expendables" but at least We will get a good action flix with X-force

Fantastic Member

Toad kicking Halle in the face

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by silence. View Post
    When they end.
    I'm gonna have to agree with this. like seriously fox took some of the best characters and stories ever and destroyed them. nearly 20 years of mediocrity, and that's me being generous. I'm curious to see how these last two films will be received however. time will tell.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Correction: change "was" to "is" in the title.

Other than that.

Well compared against... ?

The main thing I like about the FOX-made XMU vs the Disney-made MCU is the XMU has real stakes, consequences. There is less top-down corporate control over everything. Maybe it's by sheer accident or oversight on the part of the corporation 21st Century Fox but for whatever reason more experimentation and creativity has been permitted to occur on the XMU than on the MCU, particularly of late. Legion is incredibly bold, almost everyone acknowledges that; itd be near impossible not to. The Gifted is basically a show pulling a switcheroo on the audience and getting them to reevaluate who they assume to be heroes vs villains within stories. Deadpool was crazy , broke the 4th wall, tons of low-brow humor, in many ways parodied the genre but while also being part of it. Logan was extremely emotional and moving, gritty, intense, didn't pull punches (unlike basically every MCU work).

We'll have to find out about Dark Phoenix but it might be more of a serious drama simply set within the superhero/comicbook space.

New Mutants promised to be a horror take on the comicbook/super genre.

If there would have ever been a proper Logan sequel starring X-23 that could have really been something sort of a "Coming of Age" tale combined with some dystopia.

Pretty much aside from the Captain America films no MCU movie has much feeling behind it.... all very artificial superficial, formulaic. You can tell how they got carefully constructed to be as bland as imaginable not to offend anyone. Just meh. But tons of kids love it due to the special effects being so good, the fact they re-use characters in different movies, plus the juggernaut of marketing that is Disney.

It might be up to the DCEU to take over and fill the void once the XMU goes away. The void = comic book films that say something and can appeal to people over the age of 20
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Pros:

- Fassbender
    - McAvoy
    - DOFP
    - First Class
    - X-Men 2
    - Logan (movie)

Cons:

- X-Men 3
    - X-Men Apocalypse
    - Jennifer Lawrence
    - Olivia Munn
    - Jennifer Lawrence
    - Jennifer Lawrence

Did I mention Jennifer Lawrence?

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

I adore the X-Men movies as a whole. It has my three favorite comic book movies (DoFP, X2 and Logan), and, honestly, I enjoy its more than the MCU due to the genre diversification Fox has partaken in lately. The series has its stinkers that need not be named, of course, but even those have some positive qualities to them (as some have pointed out above).

Taking one moment from each film (because I'd be here all day if I went all-out), my favorites are (in film release order):
    • As a whole: main casting. I can't think of a single main character where I said, "Jeez, I wouldn't have gone there," and it's amazing how well they replaced Stewart and McKellen, as McAvoy and Fassbender are simply fantastic
    • X-Men: making the school an actual school and creating the definitive Cerebro design, both of which have been used in the comics ever since. Wolverine vs Sabretooth on top of the Statue of Liberty was pretty cool, too, if abbreviated
    • X2: Since the Nightcrawler scene was already mentioned, Wolverine in the mansion vs Stryker's goons. That was the "Oh, %&^$. You don't wanna mess with this guy" moment that solidified Jackman's Wolvie as a badass
    • X3: The Xavier/Magneto/Jean scene in her house. There's so much great interplay there, and Magneto's genuine shock at Charles's death is palpable
    • X-Men Origins: Liev Schreiber as Sabretooth. While the script neutered him after Wolverine gets his adamantium, Liev's Sabretooth was spot-on otherwise
    • X-Men First Class: Magneto vs the former Nazis in the South American bar. Another one of those "Oh, %&^$" moments that really sticks with you
    • The Wolverine: Logan and Mariko's road trip. I loved how their relationship developed and how she genuinely wasn't afraid of that prinal, animalistic side of him. Yukio and Viper were also standouts, and the fight against Singen was brutal
    • Days of Future Past: Too many to pick, but I'm gonna go with the future X-Men making their last stand (pun not intended) against the Sentinels. Great use of characters, wonderfully choreographed action and high stakes
    • Deadpool: Wade versus the goons on the bridge. The counting bullets gag was pure gold
    • X-Men Apocalypse: I have to go with Jean's Phoenix burst at the end. The music, the visuals (Jean walking across thin air at the beginning of it gives me goosebumps every time: so f&%^ing cool), an extreme display of power and a kickoff point for her future development. SO freaking excited for Dark Phoenix
    • Logan: Since saying, "All of it" would be cheap, I'm gonna say Xavier's revelation/death scene and the introduction of X-24. Such a heart-breaker
    • Deadpool 2: While Brolin's Cable was awesome, I have to say Domino stole the freaking movie, and having a genuinely intimidating Juggernaut after X3 was so freaking gratifying
    What can I say but, "I love comics."