In another liked but lower category.

X-Men 1
    Deadpool 2
    Wolverine

In a WTF moments category
    X-Men 3
    X-Men Apocalypse
    X-Men Origins

Not a perfect series but my favourite part about the movies was they stuck to the tone of X-Men Comics. The movies were not dumbed down.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Logan!
    ...and Laura.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

The best thing about the Fox X-Men movies was the casting.
    Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen, Hugh Jackman, James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, and the others did a great job with some not always great scripts.

My favourite things can be summed up in three categories.

The casting, with Hugh Jackman being surprisingly good as Wolverine (he was actually a controversial pick at first). Patrick Stewart and James McAvoy both excel as Xavier, and the same could be said of Ian McKellen and Michael Fassbender as Magneto. Dafne Keen was an amazing find for Laura too. And Rebecca Romijn was entertaining as Mystique.

I found the best movies to be, in no particular order, Logan, the Deadpool movies, and Days of Future Past. I have some complaints about DOFT, but it's easily the best of the team X-Men movies. Also it's worth hunting down the Unleashed extended cut of The Wolverine. It doesn't solve all of the movie's problems (the boss fight is still very silly), but it's basically an R-rated cut that not only gives us more action (including the ninja fight that's skipped over in the theatrical version), but it expands on pretty much every minor character's motivations.

And of course, the fact that X2: X-Men United introduced me to the X-Men in the first place, way back when I saw at a friend's house the year after it released.

Watching X-Men movies you never know what you are going to get one-quarter of the time, The good , the ugly, the middle road or the bad. When it came to the good they are the haute couture of Marvel movies. Logan now makes me go The Dark Knight is the exception what? You not alone anymore Batman, Marvel undoubtedly have A Dark Knight film now. I liked that about the X-Men movies.

X2 in particular holds a special place in my heart. I could have failed my constitutional Law course if X2 did not keep reminding of President Abraham Lincoln Quote at the beginning of the film when America was on the brink of civil war

“We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.''

I wrote this very quote in my exam thanks to X2. The quote is the entire takeaway wisdom lesson of X2 from Charles Xavier's POV. Xavier tells the current President the same thing at the end of the film but on more efficient terms. X-Men movies were comic films with guts, personal style, depth and brains. Time will tell if the future X-Men movies will be very much regarded as thought provoking comic films like the past films or be tossed aside with another MCU movie vanilla flavour of the month label attached to it.

I loved the tone of most of the movies: X1, X2, XDOFP, LOGAN. The script from those movies are also compelling.

I really like the castings for both versions of Professor X and Magneto. Spot on. Hugh Jackman was a great Wolverine, even if very different that what I picture the life version of the character in my head (I love that Logan is a short hairy werid looking fella). Rebecca Romijn was flawless as Mystique, even if underused. The same can be said for Ellen Page as Kitty.

As for costumes the only ones I liked where Deadpool's and Psylocke's; Perfect translation from the comics. To an extend I also liked Magneto's and Storm's for Apocalypse.

As for the action scenes X2 and XDOFP have the best ones. I love the jet scene with Storm and Jean in X2 and the future X-Men battle in DOFP.
    A picture would last longer darling...

The characters easily. Maybe not everyone got their fair share of screen time, but they had consistently good (or decent, at worst) casting and the characters usually worked quite well. That's probably going to be the hardest part of a reboot; seeing new actors trying to play the same characters.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

"Do you know what happens to a Toad when it gets struck by lightning? Same thing as everything else"

It's so awful it's great.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    The characters easily. Maybe not everyone got their fair share of screen time, but they had consistently good (or decent, at worst) casting and the characters usually worked quite well. That's probably going to be the hardest part of a reboot; seeing new actors trying to play the same characters.
    Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Casting is not the issue. Studio scouts can find cheap actors with tons of acting talent. What the issue will be is what they are asked to work it. MentalManipulator stated X-Men movies are compelling. It is what sets them apart from MCU movies. The problem will be the actors of the new X-Men movies having to work with less compelling scripts. Logan and Xavier from Logan (2017) are good examples. As the MCU reboot will hardly ever attempt Logan 2. The new actors who play Logan and Xavier in the role will end up falling short to Patrick Stewart and Hugh Jackman. Someone said it will be hard to top DOFP, it will be harder to top X2 and frankly impossible to top Logan with the new X-Men movies since the new X-Men movies will be required to follow many of the Disney laws and order of what is excepted from their movies.

I have seen it displayed with the James Gunn non-event controversy. Other studios would have kept him. I think WB wants to hire Gunn but Disney can't because they have to portray an ultra safe family brand. Disney already plans to stop making Aliens and Planet of the Apes because they are not family friendly enough for their brand. The plan is to keep X-Men and Avatar for obvious reasons and ruthlessly decide what goes.

They'll then reportedly be ruthless about deciding what happens next. The rest of Fox's properties may be shelved if they don't fit within Disney's scope of making "family-friendly, franchise-focused" movies. Forbes news.

From the news alone Logan, DOFP, Deadpool and X2 would have gotten shelved since none of those movies are in the Disney's scope of making "family-friendly, franchise-focused" movies.
    Last edited by Marvelgirl; 08-24-2018 at 02:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    One of the most beautiful scenes in the entire film series is in X2 where Magneto and Pyro (with a silent Mystique) are in the blackbird and Magneto ask Pyro what is "real name" is and then tells him "You're a God among insects, never let anyone tell you different."

Another X2 moment is the very brief exchange between Nightcrawler and Mystique. Nightcrawler asks why she doesn't just pretend to be somebody "normal" and Mystique says "Because we shouldn't have to."

Logan was such a solid film but him telling Laura, "Don't be what they made you," followed by "So this is what is feels like..." was beautiful.

That said, Days of Futures Past is far and away my favorite X-film and one of my favorite films period. I would argue that it was actually better than the comic version (don't kill me, just an opinion). The stakes felt higher, the continuity corrections were a service to the fans, and it felt like an ensemble film that really embraced the importance of X-Men and activism.

The scene where Xavier confronts his future is extremely powerful...

[Charles reads Logan's mind, and appears in the future]

Professor X: Charles.

Charles Xavier: Charles.

[looks around]

Charles Xavier: Is this what becomes of us? Erik was right. Humanity does this to us.

Professor X: Not if we show them a better path.

Charles Xavier: You still believe?

Professor X: Just because someone stumbles and loses their path, doesn't mean they're lost forever. Sometimes, we all need a little help.

Charles Xavier: I'm not the man I was. I open my mind up and it almost overwhelms me.

Professor X: You're afraid. And Cerebro knows it.

Charles Xavier: All those voices... so much PAIN.

Professor X: It's not their pain you're afraid of. It's yours, Charles. And as frightening as it can be, that pain will make you stronger. If you allow yourself to feel it, embrace it, .it will make you more powerful than you ever imagined. It's the greatest gift we have: to bear their pain without breaking. And it comes from the most human part of us: hope. Charles, we need you to hope again.

Another great beat, its almost too short to call a moment, but when Beast asks Wolverine if he survives. Wolverine tells him "No. But we can change that.

Honestly the climax of the film from the Sentinals attacking the future X-Men's base // Magneto trying to assassinate the president is edited and scored so beautifully. I've watched it more times than I can count. So well done. I actually wish they stopped there (except for Logan and Deadpool) and waited to do a complete reboot.
    Now you made me rethink of putting X2 ahead of DOFP as the second best movie.

Dr. Trask: [Warning Congress] You know, when you sent our soldiers to Vietnam without the weapons they needed to win the war, you underestimated your enemy. You do that with this enemy and it won't be some border skirmish halfway around the world. This time, the war will be for our streets, our cities, our homes. By the time you see the need for my program, it'll be too late and you'll have lost two wars in one lifetime.

Professor X: Just because someone stumbles, loses their way, it doesn't mean they're lost forever. Sometimes we all need a little help.

Young Magneto: You built these weapons to destroy us. Why? Because you are afraid of our gifts. Because we are different. Humanity has always feared that which is different. Well, I'm here to tell you, to tell the world, you're right to fear us. We are the future. [back in the future the Sentinels kill Colossus by ripping him in two and Warpath burnt alive; in the past Quicksilver is watching the TV as Erik gives his speech] We are the ones who will inherit this earth, and anyone who stands in our way will suffer the same fate as these men you see before you. Today was meant to be a display of your power. Instead I give you a glimpse of the devastation my race can unleash upon yours. Let this be a warning to the world. [as Erik gives his speech we see sunspot being killed by the Sentinels; in the past Ink and Toad watch Erik giving his speech on the TV] And to my mutant brothers and sisters out there, I say this; no more hiding, no more suffering. You have lived in the shadows in shame and fear for too long. Come out, join me. Fight together in the brotherhood of our kind. A new tomorrow, that starts today.

Young Charles: I've been trying to control you ever since the day we met and look what that's got us. Everything that happens now is in your hands. I have faith in you, Raven.

I still give the honour to X2 over DOFP.

Incredible Member

The casting of Hugh Jackman, Patrick Stewart, Ian Mckellan, Michael Fassbender, and James McAvoy. Brian Cox was also great as Colonel Stryker even if they changed the context of his character from the comics.

"Could you try not being a mutant?"

On a minor note. note though it was a bad movie I have to say changing the Blobs origin in X-men origins Wolverine to be used in the Weapon plus program on Team X I think is far better than his comic incarnation. I think they could have explored his mutation more instead of it being played up for laughs.

Ultimate Member

Yes to some of the casting. I liked pretty much everyone from the first movie (even people not already mentioned a bunch upthread, like Anna Paquin and Shawn Ashmore, as well as the great performances by Patrick Stewart, Hugh Jackman, James Marsden, Ian McKellen and Rebecca Romjin-formerly-Stamos). Tyler Mane and Halle Berry were really the only two that felt miscast to me.

Yes, yes, yes to the opening scene with Nightcrawler in the White House. (And to Blink in Days of Future Past. Gosh, teleporting is so much more *amazing* visually in film than in comics!)

A lot of little characterization beats are fun for me. Wolverine flipping Cyclops off with his middle claw, and Cyclops smiling about it. Wolverine handing his warm root beer to Iceman wordlessly and Iceman chilling it. Wolverine telling Iceman's parents that he taught 'art.' "A bolt of lightning in a giant copper conductor? I thought you people lived at a *school.*" I like the fun humanizing bits that aren't necessarily about punching or stabbing or zapping.

Wolverine was named 'Logan,' and not Steve or Jimmy or whatever.

I could watch an entire movie about Erik Lensherr, Nazi Hunter, stalking down retired and in-hiding Nazis in South America or whatever. That bit was intense.

HUGH JACKMAN WOLVERINE
    Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool in his solo movies
    BOTH XAVIERS AND MAGNETOS
    Days of Future Past
    Logan
    Deadpool
    Deadpool 2

Quote Originally Posted by Denirac View Post
    HUGH JACKMAN WOLVERINE
    Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool in his solo movies
    BOTH XAVIERS AND MAGNETOS
    Days of Future Past
    Logan
    Deadpool
    Deadpool 2
    I’m pretty much in sync with this list.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgirl View Post
    Now you made me rethink of putting X2 ahead of DOFP as the second best movie.

Dr. Trask: [Warning Congress] You know, when you sent our soldiers to Vietnam without the weapons they needed to win the war, you underestimated your enemy. You do that with this enemy and it won't be some border skirmish halfway around the world. This time, the war will be for our streets, our cities, our homes. By the time you see the need for my program, it'll be too late and you'll have lost two wars in one lifetime.

Professor X: Just because someone stumbles, loses their way, it doesn't mean they're lost forever. Sometimes we all need a little help.

Young Magneto: You built these weapons to destroy us. Why? Because you are afraid of our gifts. Because we are different. Humanity has always feared that which is different. Well, I'm here to tell you, to tell the world, you're right to fear us. We are the future. [back in the future the Sentinels kill Colossus by ripping him in two and Warpath burnt alive; in the past Quicksilver is watching the TV as Erik gives his speech] We are the ones who will inherit this earth, and anyone who stands in our way will suffer the same fate as these men you see before you. Today was meant to be a display of your power. Instead I give you a glimpse of the devastation my race can unleash upon yours. Let this be a warning to the world. [as Erik gives his speech we see sunspot being killed by the Sentinels; in the past Ink and Toad watch Erik giving his speech on the TV] And to my mutant brothers and sisters out there, I say this; no more hiding, no more suffering. You have lived in the shadows in shame and fear for too long. Come out, join me. Fight together in the brotherhood of our kind. A new tomorrow, that starts today.

Young Charles: I've been trying to control you ever since the day we met and look what that's got us. Everything that happens now is in your hands. I have faith in you, Raven.

I still give the honour to X2 over DOFP.
    Days of Future Past. This movie never gets old in getting the respect it deserves. Best comic movie post 2010. Replace it with Logan as X-Men's Dark Knight.
    Last edited by Hall; 08-24-2018 at 11:54 AM.