View Poll Results: Who should be in the Marvel/Shazam Family?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Golden Age set

16 48.48%
  • New 52 set

4 12.12%
  • No one, Billy should go solo

2 6.06%
  • A combo of Golden Age and New 52

11 33.33%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Incredible Member SilverWarriorWolf's Avatar

Default Marvel/Shazam Family

Okay, I’m seeing conflicting reports on this, so who do you think should be in the Marvel/Shazam Family along with Billy? The classic set (Mary, Freddy, Tawny, Uncle Dudley, Fat, Tall, and Hill Billys, Hoppy, and Freckles)? New 52 (Mary, Freddy, Darla, Eugene, Pedro, the Vasquez parents,Tawny, and Hoppy)? Billy on his own? Or some mixture of the first two?
    Last edited by SilverWarriorWolf; 08-21-2018 at 07:08 PM.

Tawny actually does exist in the current continuity already: https://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Tawky_Tawny_(Prime_Earth)
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Tawny actually does exist in the current continuity already: https://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Tawky_Tawny_(Prime_Earth)
    I know, but since he’s a zoo tiger, he’s not really considered a member of the team the way he was in the Golden Age or Flashpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarriorWolf View Post
    Okay, I’m seeing conflicting reports on this,
    "Reports"?
    What do you mean?

who do you think should be in the Marvel/Shazam Family along with Billy? The classic set (Mary, Freddy, Tawny, Uncle Dudley, and Fat, Tall, and Hill Billys)? New 52 (Mary, Freddy, Darla, Eugene, and Pedro)? Billy on his own? Or some mixture of the first two?
    I love both!
    I think Billy, Mary and Freddy should be the primaries. In N52 version, they strongly established Billy and Freddy, and hinted at Mary being Billy's sister, without giving it away.
    So I'm really looking forward to that plot reveal. And establishing them as the primary.
    That said I absolutely love Eugene, Darla, and Pedro over Fat, Tall, and Hill Billys. And hope the new kids do get plenty of attention going forward. I adore this new extended SHAZAMILY!
    Although I'd have no problem if Fat, Tall, and Hill Billy showed up for a story.

And anticipate Uncle Dudley will eventually make his appearance. Hopefully with Freckles, who you neglected to mention.

I know, but since he’s a zoo tiger, he’s not really considered a member of the team the way he was in the Golden Age or Flashpoint.
    Sure he is, Billy actually considers him his family. And Billy is even able to power him up like the others!
    He is absolutely part of the SHAZAMILY!

Last edited by Güicho; 08-21-2018 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    "Reports"?
    Awkward phrasing, I’ll admit. Opinions would have been better.

Sure he is, Billy actually considers him his family. And Billy is even able to power him up like the others!
    He is absolutely part of the SHAZAMILY!
    But he’s not showing up in promotional materials with the others. If he’s included in story, then I’ll agree, but currently that looks like that was a one off event.

currently that looks like that was a one off event.
    It's set-up so he can do it again when he wants. Tawny is a big part of Billy's back story, and part of the emphasis of the -

"Family is what you make it" -

Theme of the story. Did you read it!?
    Tawny is definitely a part of that.
    What makes you think it will never happen again? What do you base that on?

Also set-up is Marry's Bunny Hoppy, (who you left out) who lives with the family, I wouldn't be surprised if eventually she can share the power with him too!
    Last edited by Güicho; 08-22-2018 at 05:59 AM.

It's set-up so he can do it again when he wants. Tawny is a big part of his back story, and part of the emphasis of Family is what and who you make it. Read the story!
    What makes you think it will never happen again? What do you base that on?
    The lack of any appearance in promotional materials.

Don’t get me wrong, I hope you’re right. I’m just saying I haven’t seen any hints to his use.

Also set-up is Marry's Bunny Hoppy, (who you left out) who lives with the family, I wouldn't be surprised if eventually she can power him up too!
    I’m kind of hoping they use him, but I’ve been burned by Easter egg cameos before.

I think at the very core Freddy and Mary are musts.

I don't mind the current New 52 Shazam Family but it seems to be trying to make Billy's book into more of a team book, which I guess isn't really that bad a thing in and of itself.

I'm waiting for this power-up to give him the ability to talk and wear a suit .

The lack of any appearance in promotional materials.

Don’t get me wrong, I hope you’re right. I’m just saying I haven’t seen any hints to his use.
    We've seen two alt covers, for one issue, and a short blurb for solicitations so far.
    With hints of Magic realms, Sivana and The Monster Society, and more. It's pretty wide open to exploring the whole SHAZAM! U.
    Do they really have to mention Tawny in the opening.
    He's already been established and there is also still so much more to set up.
    He will likely be used for specific story beats, you know he's not going to appear in every image and solicitation, the original certainly didn't.
    So what in the story makes you think he was just a one-off character?
    Last edited by Güicho; 08-21-2018 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That would be fun, likely one of the Magic realms will allow for that.
    And Hoppy getting his own SHAZAM! suit too!

We've seen two alt covers, for one issue, and a short blurb for solicitations so far.
    With hints of Magic realms, Sivana and The Monster Society, and more. It's pretty wide open to exploring the whole SHAZAM! U.
    Do they really have to mention Tawny in the opening.
    He's already been established and there is also still so much more to set up.
    He will likely be used for specific story beats, you know he's not going to appear in every image and solicitation, the original certainly didn't.
    So what in the story makes you think he was just a one-off character?
    Honestly, the fact that he’s a zoo animal. They’re going to need a creative reason for the zoo to let him keep leaving.

...unless that instance is what caused Tawny to be able to talk. That would work.

I will admit, the Golden Era and Flashpoint were pretty outrageous with their explications. I think Keff Smith’s book has the best adaptation.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think at the very core Freddy and Mary are musts.

I don't mind the current New 52 Shazam Family but it seems to be trying to make Billy's book into more of a team book, which I guess isn't really that bad a thing in and of itself.
    I love team books, so I’m all for it.

Yes. Just yes.

currently that looks like that was a one off event.
    ...Based on what?

Honestly, the fact that he’s a zoo animal.
    That's where we meet him, you don't know his whole back story yet.
    Could be Tawny doesn't want to go back in the Zoo
    You don't know where they are going with it.
    What makes you think that's the end of his story?

They’re going to need a creative reason for the zoo to let him keep leaving.

...unless that instance is what caused Tawny to be able to talk. That would work.
    Yeah again, that was set up.
    By the end we learn Tawny is Billy's Animal Avatar. This is a new take on it.
    Billy (and us through him) are still learning about the powers and what they can do. This is apperantly one of the powers and uses of the magic, to have an Animal Avatar.
    This is set up for more.
    My guess is others Marry his sister will likely have her own Avatar too, they just haven't learned everything about it in the first story arc.
    That's the point of the first arc tell a story and set-up for more.
    Billy has only begun to learn.
    We know from Teth Adam there is more to it, a "correct" way to power up an Animal Avatar, so this is set-up for an ongoing part of the power.
    Last edited by Güicho; 08-22-2018 at 05:08 AM.

Classic all the way.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Retired

I'm a fan of the original Fawcett comics over anything else. But I admit that I've never read the new 52 comics--and might not until after the movie comes out. Even so, I was never a big fan of the Lieutenant Marvels--I think that was the first pass at building a Marvel Family and they became redundanat once Freddy and Mary were introduced.

The idea of some extra Marvel/Shazam Family members (from new 52) sounds like a good way to represent people from around the world (not just Americans). And I'd guess that Hill Billy and Fat Billy are rather negative stereotypes for today (hey, they were negative when they were first introduced).

And, in addition to Billy, Freddy, Mary, Dudley and Tawky (who should be returned to full status), please add in Hoppy the Marvel Bunny.

Edited and added.
    Last edited by SilverWarriorWolf; 08-21-2018 at 07:08 PM.