View Poll Results: Who should be in the Marvel/Shazam Family?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Golden Age set

16 48.48%
  • New 52 set

4 12.12%
  • No one, Billy should go solo

2 6.06%
  • A combo of Golden Age and New 52

11 33.33%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    My favorite Dudley is the one that is kind of bumbling and while he appears to be the responsible adult looking after the orphan kids... Really it's the kids that look after him. And he's a good enough guy to go along with that arrangement.

The idea of Dudley actually being a real father and actually having REAL responsibility... that doesn't give me a good feeling inside. Leave him without biological connections.
    Yeah. That’s the best version of the character. Though he can still be clever, like being the one to trick Black Adam into saying Shazam.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I'd like to see Billy go solo to start.
    I definitely want to see the rest of the family appear later, but it's been 20 years since Captain Marvel, sorry Shazam has had his own title.
    There's no need to dump everything in right away.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Retired

Dudley should start out as a sketchy character who is trying to get his 15 minutes of fame. He's not related to anyone, but pretends to be. And rather than expose him, the family win him over with love. So that he becomes a good person and is their uncle, emotionally but not by blood.

Incredible Member SilverWarriorWolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Maybe, but I think Dudley works better not having a biological connection to anybody. Otherwise, such a kid would be staying with him rather than being in foster care.
    I’d have it explained that because he’s elderly and a janitor, it was deemed that he’s not in a financial position to raise a child, but he’s still in her life in an avuncular position.

My favorite Dudley is the one that is kind of bumbling and while he appears to be the responsible adult looking after the orphan kids... Really it's the kids that look after him. And he's a good enough guy to go along with that arrangement.

The idea of Dudley actually being a real father and actually having REAL responsibility... that doesn't give me a good feeling inside. Leave him without biological connections.
    Thus why I’d go with an avuncular position.

Out of curiosity, what did you think of him being Billy’s guardian in Young Justice?

Yeah. That’s the best version of the character. Though he can still be clever, like being the one to trick Black Adam into saying Shazam.
    I like to think he’s cleverer than he appears. Kind of along the lines of Gravity Falls’ Grunkle Stan.

BANNED

I like the new 52 version of the Shazam family as it adds more diversity to the mythos, but I'm not a fan of blonde Freddy nor am I fan of Freddy being a "Foster" brother to Billy.

Still if they bring back some Golden Age stuff and mix it in with the new 52 stuff, then maybe it can salvage what is the Shazam of Rebirth/New 52.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarriorWolf View Post
    I like to think he’s cleverer than he appears.
    I feel like that’s always been the case. Speaking of which, Justice League Action did a great job representing that in the episode where Dudley (voiced by John Astin) is given powers from Mxyzptlk.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    I like the new 52 version of the Shazam family as it adds more diversity to the mythos, but I'm not a fan of blonde Freddy nor am I fan of Freddy being a "Foster" brother to Billy.

Still if they bring back some Golden Age stuff and mix it in with the new 52 stuff, then maybe it can salvage what is the Shazam of Rebirth/New 52.
    I felt like they were going to do a Rebirth approach (seeing that the classic costume appeared a few times in comics Snyder referred to them as Captain Marvel and the Marvel Family in an interview some months ago), but it was all scrapped when Johns got his different position and he clearly wanted to continue his version.

I feel like that’s always been the case. Speaking of which, Justice League Action did a great job representing that in the episode where Dudley (voiced by John Astin) is given powers from Mxyzptlk.
    I haven’t seen that episode, but I’d like to. Is that one of the YouTube shorts?

I haven’t seen that episode, but I’d like to. Is that one of the YouTube shorts?
    No. It’s 11 minutes. Called “Captain Bamboozle.” Fun episode and kind of cool since Captain Marvel (er.. Shazam) is voiced by Sean Astin and Dudley is voiced by his dad.

No. It’s 11 minutes. Called “Captain Bamboozle.” Fun episode and kind of cool since Captain Marvel (er.. Shazam) is voiced by Sean Astin and Dudley is voiced by his dad.

Thanks for the tip! I’ll watch out for it.

TOut of curiosity, what did you think of him being Billy’s guardian in Young Justice?
    I don't remember that. Was it the cartoon? the comic? I don't mind him being the official, legal guardian... as long as it's pretty much the clever self-sufficient boy billy who's pretty much pulling one over on the system. They say he needs a guardian? Here's an old guy who's like totally my uncle... he's my guardian! The idea of him ACTUALLY being responsible is much more iffy.

I have always liked the 9 year old boy who is self-sufficient and taking care of himself, getting his own job, and taking care of his family... REGARDLESS of modern sensibilities or realism. I can totally understand the modern DC saying 'Yeah.... we can't really tell kids if you're clever enough, go ahead and live on the streets... it'll end awesome!!' But to me that is classic Billy. Giving him foster parents or legitimate authority over him... really takes something away from the character.

Speaking of taking stuff away... I recently found the new 52 JLA Backup stories in a TPB. Is it true that he is no longer powered by the gods??? I saw ZERO mention of the Gods, the SHAZAM actually standing for anything... he's just 'in charge of magic' or some such and cast spells by shouting SHAZAM??

That is... That's just so BAD!! There was a lot of the characterization and modernization that I can work with... but he NEEDS to have those Wisdom/strength/endurance/power/courage/speed 'gifts of the gods' to even come close to being the same character.

I don't remember that. Was it the cartoon? the comic? I don't mind him being the official, legal guardian... as long as it's pretty much the clever self-sufficient boy billy who's pretty much pulling one over on the system. They say he needs a guardian? Here's an old guy who's like totally my uncle... he's my guardian! The idea of him ACTUALLY being responsible is much more iffy.

I have always liked the 9 year old boy who is self-sufficient and taking care of himself, getting his own job, and taking care of his family... REGARDLESS of modern sensibilities or realism. I can totally understand the modern DC saying 'Yeah.... we can't really tell kids if you're clever enough, go ahead and live on the streets... it'll end awesome!!' But to me that is classic Billy. Giving him foster parents or legitimate authority over him... really takes something away from the character.

Speaking of taking stuff away... I recently found the new 52 JLA Backup stories in a TPB. Is it true that he is no longer powered by the gods??? I saw ZERO mention of the Gods, the SHAZAM actually standing for anything... he's just 'in charge of magic' or some such and cast spells by shouting SHAZAM??

That is... That's just so BAD!! There was a lot of the characterization and modernization that I can work with... but he NEEDS to have those Wisdom/strength/endurance/power/courage/speed 'gifts of the gods' to even come close to being the same character.
    Since Young Justice was a team show, we only saw short snippets from him.

I’m pretty sure this is one of the longest scenes he got.

https://youtu.be/SA2zt1Y7btw

I do like the idea that Dudley’s the adult most likely to trust Billy’s judgement.

Well, I know Darkseid Wars jumbled up the gods he was connected to. They said that due to Darkseid dying, Billy’s connection to the original set was gone and the Wizard had to scramble for new people.

I think that move was stupid, but here’s a video of the synopsis, if you’re curious.

https://youtu.be/DfQ6eTS34BY
    Last edited by SilverWarriorWolf; 08-22-2018 at 09:15 PM.

Here’s a question.

How would you feel about Billy gaining a non-powered support team, ala Ned in Spider-Man Homecoming? I’m specifically speaking of Pedro, Eugene, and Darla in that position.

Here’s a question.

How would you feel about Billy gaining a non-powered support team, ala Ned in Spider-Man Homecoming? I’m specifically speaking of Pedro, Eugene, and Darla in that position.
    That's pretty much what they are. They likely won't get powered-up every issue. And they aren't powered themselves, it's only through Billy sharing that they can gain powers.
    And he couldn't even maintain it long, they went quickly back to support team.
    I'm guessing Mary will be the one who eventually connects with the magic and gets access to the powers on her own.
    Last edited by Güicho; 08-26-2018 at 06:47 PM.

I voted for the New 52 version. I love the added diversity to the mythos and the foster care aspect, which is something unique and relatable in the superhero genre. Take away those aspects and I lose all interest in Shazam/Captain Marvel (whatever his name is now). Thankfully I don't have to worry about any of that going away, what with the movie about to establish that as his mythos.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!