Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Would Luke Skywalkers projection work on Thanos?

So Thanos MCU with the I.G is about to fight Luke but he of course has no idea that it's just a projection. Would it work or would the I.G detect it was fake and just attack the real Luke Skwaylker?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDiggle View Post
    So Thanos MCU with the I.G is about to fight Luke but he of course has no idea that it's just a projection. Would it work or would the I.G detect it was fake and just attack the real Luke Skwaylker?
    Well, comic book IG gives passive knowledge and cosmic perception if you "will it so" but movie IG works much more like an activated tool where you have to input every command.

Basically my point is, he might not know it's a projection unless he actively scanned it with the mind or soul stones. Although my guess is, if he were to think "kill luke" and snap his fingers, the gauntlet would go ahead and find the real luke and kill him regardless of distance. Either way, there is nothing Luke could do to Thanos.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Uggh makes me flashback to that franchise ending movie... anyway probably wouldn't work, like when the Guardians tried to trick him

Extraordinary Member

According to the directors, Thanos saw through Dr. Strange multiple illusions with the soul stone. So he should be able to do the same with Luke.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dork Knight View Post
    Uggh makes me flashback to that franchise ending movie... anyway probably wouldn't work, like when the Guardians tried to trick him
    *looks over at the multiple planned Star Wars films, two animated Star Wars shows rapidly approaching and all the Star Wars comics being made*

Franchise ending probably isn't the term you're looking for. "Personal interest killer" would probably be more appropriate.

Oh everything is a franchise these days. Only sequels and reboots. Even the horrible DCEU keeps chugging along. Of course something as big as Star Wars will keep making money

I was more referring to its weakened performance in the box office and loss of interest (relatively) among audiences. Sure the franchise will carry on like Fast and Furious 14 or Rocky 10 but audience interest in this particular trilogy has dropped significantly. This "story" has run its course

Probably will be a new trilogy some years later which will recapture some of the audience like Creed or something

Extraordinary Member

I was more referring to its weakened performance in the box office and loss of interest (relatively) among audiences. Sure the franchise will carry on like Fast and Furious 14 or Rocky 10 but audience interest in this particular trilogy has dropped significantly. This "story" has run its course
    Eh, Spider-man 2 has the lowest box office of that trilogy despite being considered the best one. Same with The Empire Strikes back.

Maybe it's more that the dark middle chapter isn't for everybody. Now, that's not a rule of thumb of course. But I don't think that having a weaker box office than The Force Awakens really indicates that the audience interest has really dropped.

But that's not what this thread is about. My bad for derailing it.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

I was more referring to its weakened performance in the box office and loss of interest (relatively) among audiences. Sure the franchise will carry on like Fast and Furious 14 or Rocky 10 but audience interest in this particular trilogy has dropped significantly.
    Not sure why you seem to be holding up the Fast and Furious franchise like something that is carrying on to limited success, the last two entries in the franchise have been the most successful entries. Both films broke around 1.5 billion dollars worldwide. That's Avengers money back to back.

The Last Jedi also made like 1.3 billion dollars worldwide, which is exceedingly good, and we haven't had another numbered entry into the franchise to judge the impact it's had yet. Solo essentially tanked but that's not a mainline bit of the trilogy and... I mean I didn't see it because I didn't care about it and I loved TLJ.

Now comparatively, Force Awakens made 2 billion dollars and it's the third highest grossing film /ever/ made. The fact that TLJ didn't do as well as literally the third most successful movie ever doesn't seem like a fair metric of judging "reduced interested" to me.

EDIT: Ha, I just checked and TLJ is 9th most successful film ever made. Star Wars is doing fine XD
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 08-21-2018 at 03:59 PM.

Please let's not turn this into one of those "Luke Skywalker was comletley out of character! Star Wars is ruined forever! The extended Universe was sooo much better" topics.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    Eh, Spider-man 2 has the lowest box office of that trilogy despite being considered the best one. Same with The Empire Strikes back.

Maybe it's more that the dark middle chapter isn't for everybody. Now, that's not a rule of thumb of course. But I don't think that having a weaker box office than The Force Awakens really indicates that the audience interest has really dropped.

But that's not what this thread is about. My bad for derailing it.
    That could be it. Or it could be like the Hobbit or indeed the prequels, where interest (and money) lessened with every film with the sad realization that they weren't living up to the expectations and standards set by the original

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Please let's not turn this into one of those " Luke Skywalker was comletley out of character! Star Wars is ruined forever! The extended Universe was sooo much better" topics.
    While absolutely true, I was thinking more from a financial perspective

Though of course as noted this being star wars, its still a massive hit, even attack of the clones was a big hit but it had a big drop in the second weekend, bigger than AoTC

The prequels were just bad films so fewer non core fans went to see them but the new trilogy isn't "bad", so much as taking a direction many core fans don't want to see, which made them lose all those repeat viewers. Or that's maybe just speculation lol but it was a pretty steep drop considering how it opened

I guess we'll find out but imo the series will see a significant drop in numbers now

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Please let's not turn this into one of those "Luke Skywalker was comletley out of character! Star Wars is ruined forever! The extended Universe was sooo much better" topics.
    Those words in that last part totally killed a piece of my soul.

I say that as someone who didn't care for TLJ, no less.

(though being real I wasn't super into The Force Awakens either. Rogue One was pretty decent?)

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    Those words in that last part totally killed a piece of my soul.

I say that as someone who didn't care for TLJ, no less.

(though being real I wasn't super into The Force Awakens either. Rogue One was pretty decent?)
    I thought Rogue One was the best of the three personally
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    I think it was the worst of the four tbh lol.

Anyway, if Thanos saw through the projections with the soul stone then he can probably do that here.

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    I still haven't been able to finish sitting through Rogue One. *shrugs*

Quote Originally Posted by moonknight11 View Post
    I think it was the worst of the four tbh lol.

Anyway, if Thanos saw through the projections with the soul stone then he can probably do that here.
    HOW CAN SW BE SO DIVISIVE!? :P

As to the second thing, Thanos handled those projections with an AoE. Not some "there you are!" sniping iirc
    - big_adventure