Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    HOW CAN SW BE SO DIVISIVE!? :P

As to the second thing, Thanos handled those projections with an AoE. Not some "there you are!" sniping iirc
    I thought Star Wars: Rebels was pretty fun?

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    I thought Star Wars: Rebels was pretty fun?
    You know, people keep telling me that. Haven't seen it personally.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

The last 40 odd minutes of Rogue One were amazing. The first two acts were just all over the place.

I genuinely think if they'd just released the assault on the base as a high budget short it would be one of the greatest pieces of Star Wars media.

From what I've gathered the Infinity Gauntlet gives unlimited power. So I'm going to say no. He could just snap his finger and make Luke be there.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    The Last Jedi also made like 1.3 billion dollars worldwide, which is exceedingly good, and we haven't had another numbered entry into the franchise to judge the impact it's had yet. Solo essentially tanked but that's not a mainline bit of the trilogy and... I mean I didn't see it because I didn't care about it and I loved TLJ.

Now comparatively, Force Awakens made 2 billion dollars and it's the third highest grossing film /ever/ made. The fact that TLJ didn't do as well as literally the third most successful movie ever doesn't seem like a fair metric of judging "reduced interested" to me.

EDIT: Ha, I just checked and TLJ is 9th most successful film ever made. Star Wars is doing fine XD
    I rather enjoyed TLJ, myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Please let's not turn this into one of those "Luke Skywalker was comletley out of character! Star Wars is ruined forever! The extended Universe was sooo much better" topics.
    It's amusing that I've seen people who take issue with me saying that about LotR movies say similar stuff about this one. ^_^ At least I say 'my own personal feelings, tons of people loved the Jackson movies, so they must have done something right.'

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    The last 40 odd minutes of Rogue One were amazing. The first two acts were just all over the place.

I genuinely think if they'd just released the assault on the base as a high budget short it would be one of the greatest pieces of Star Wars media.
    I rather enjoyed the whole thing. Yeah, it was a little all over the place, as you put it, but not so much that it upset my watching of it. And the different mood and vibe...I really liked that.

Rogue One is one of my favourite Star Wars movies.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 08-22-2018 at 08:19 AM.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    I rather enjoyed the whole thing. Yeah, it was a little all over the place, as you put it, but not so much that it upset my watching of it. And the different mood and vibe...I really liked that.

Rogue One is one of my favourite Star Wars movies.
    I wanted to like it more than I did.

It never gets like... full out bad or anything. I just think the construction of the first two acts is really kind of wild with all sorts of extra bits that either feel really tacked on or just slow things down.

For my money, playing armchair director for a moment; they seemed to be too locked into the idea of trying to make what should have been more of ensemble film be exclusively Jyn's story which just felt tonally off to me. I didn't need the designer to be her dad, I didn't need her to have a personal familial stake in the mission. If the film just said; "Hey she's a spy fighting the Empire," I'd be like "Okay, I'm on board," When space-fascists are making a planet-killing superweapon, I expect the cast to be motivated enough by that alone because boy am I.

Also I think those characters benefited more even in terms of development. The cast of that film are surrogates for the nameless thousands who perished in pursuit of the greater goal of bringing down the Empire. They aren't the heroes, or more accurately, main characters. They aren't Jedi Knights or ace pilots, they don't have destinies or high rank or whatever. They are the comparatively normal rebels who take on something incalculably larger and more powerful than themselves and, at the cost of their own lives, make the difference between victory and defeat.

That's an amazingly strong premise and I think they were a little too worried that people wouldn't care without some flashbacks and the whole plot centring around Jyn's relationships with her various father figures. It felt like a lot of structural edits had been made quite late in the game and it just felt a bit off for the majority of the film.

I appreciate this is a somewhat specific complaint but it's my experience of the film.

Like I say, the final 40 minutes is arguably the best Star Wars has ever been and they really appealed to me with the vibe of "holding hands in the face of armageddon," at the end. I love that kind of noble sacrifice thing. A tiny moment of connection amidst an oncoming nuclear explosion. Love it, love it, love it!

If it had been a cold open short of like 45 minutes long, it would be utterly perfect. A real case of less is more for my money.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Totally see your point. And yes, one of my favourite things about the bloody movie is that these were just the right people in the right place at the right times (and sometimes, not even that). No superspecial heroes, except in their dedication to getting the job done (once committed). My favourite character was the tech who plugged in the machinery, just before getting killed.

And yeah, the ending was just...stab in the heart. O_o

My one issue is that I was expecting Bothans; none materialized. ^_^ Probably good for them, mind.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Extraordinary Member

My main issue with Rogue One is a weird one.

I got infuriated by how pathetic the Storm Troopers are in the movie. I don't particularly care for the Storm Troopers in general and I know that they're a running joke everywhere. But for some reason it just annoyed me how they got their asses kicked in Rogue One. I think there was some kind of disconnect for me between the serious tone most of the movie had and how farical every single encounter with the Storm Troopers became, except for the last 40 minutes. I did not get a sense that this was a small band of flawed individuals against a massive frightening opposition. It was a high level DnD party trolling low level enemies for shits and giggles. I mean, people complain that the First Order are unintimidating, but so are Storm Troopers. Those guys are pathetic and can't do shit and I can't take them seriously anymore.

So that's my main, weird, gripe with Rogue One. Also, I found most of the movie to be pretty bland up until the big assault and Darth Vader's big scene, so yeah.

I kinda feel like Hatneto maybe needs to visit this thread...? Or, to keep it in line with the topic, Scarf Vader.

BANNED

How is it that lightsabers are often not considered lethal weapons against superhero-type characters? Just a curiosity I've noticed, a peculiar conviction among comic book fans whenever Star Wars characters are rumbled with Marvel and DC characters; not always, but most of the time. Anyway, Kylo Ren was subtle enough with the Force to kill Snoke but couldn't discern that Luke wasn't physically there (makes no sense) in the TLJ. Sure Thanos would see through the illusion somehow, regardless, provided he had the Infinity Gauntlet.

Quote Originally Posted by Zodlike View Post
    How is it that lightsabers are often not considered lethal weapons against superhero-type characters? Just a curiosity I've noticed, a peculiar conviction among comic book fans whenever Star Wars characters are rumbled with Marvel and DC characters; not always, but most of the time. Anyway, Kylo Ren was subtle enough with the Force to kill Snoke but couldn't discern that Luke wasn't physically there (makes no sense) in the TLJ. Sure Thanos would see through the illusion somehow, regardless, provided he had the Infinity Gauntlet.
    Regarding light sabers... what's the toughest thing they've ever cut? We go by feats and all. =)
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Rey cut that big chunk of rock in one swing, and in ep1 there's the melting through metal stuff.

Sidenote: I'd be all aboard Rogue One if the characters weren't so bland. K2SO was the only one I ended up caring about, and when your movie is built around this noble sacrifice, making me feel nothing for them is a bad sign. If saw guerrera was a bigger focus it would have been improved tbh. He was interesting.

It's amusing that I've seen people who take issue with me saying that about LotR movies say similar stuff about this one. ^_^ At least I say 'my own personal feelings, tons of people loved the Jackson movies, so they must have done something right.'
    The LOTR films progressively earned more and more money and awards ending with equalling the all time record for Academy awards

Somehow I doubt the new Star Wars is ever getting there in terms of universal approval

Lots of crap movies make money, but even Transformers eventually ran out of steam (despite the last one still making tons) . My point was that there appears to be a downward spiral in the SW franchise (may or may not be true) and not based on them being "good" or "bad" films but the direction and tone being taken by the franchise

For eg The last jedis audience rating on rotten tomatoes is worse than attack of the clones and yet the critics rave about it. Like there's appears to be a huge disconnect between what some fans enjoy and what others do. Even the DCEU movies don't have as huge a gap. It's not too much to state that the new movie was really polarising and clearly the franchise has lost some fans reflected in both the drop in numbers and the polarising reviews from all except the film critic class, unanimous in their appreciation

Quote Originally Posted by The Dork Knight View Post
    It's not too much to state that the new movie was really polarising and clearly the franchise has lost some fans reflected in both the drop in numbers and the polarising reviews from all except the film critic class, unanimous in their appreciation
    Again, the "drop in numbers" you're referring to is still sufficient to be the ninth most successful film /of all time./

Also, you're a little incorrect about Transformers. You mention it running out of steam but in financial terms, every Transformers movie has made significantly more money than the last, with the third and fourth peaking the franchise when they both broke a billion dollars. The only hitch in the trend is that most recent one actually underperformed as it only made around $600,000,000 worldwide, though by normal non-mega franchise standards that is actually very successful. However, they are still making more of them and the new Bumblebee movie even looks like they are doing new and interesting things with the formula perhaps to address the financial underperformance of Last Knight. For all intents and purposes, the franchise still seems highly commercially viable.

You also say that Star Wars isn't going to get universal approval or whatever but, based on the numbers of tickets sold, the franchise has literally never been bigger or more powerful than it is now. More people are watching Star Wars than ever before and spending more money on it than ever before.

This doesn't even touch on the quality of TLJ as a film, this is just the numbers game.

Incredible Member

So the answer is basically as long as Thanos doesn't know that Luke is a Projection Luke can fake out ol purple shitty dad.