Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
Polls are good feedback of what direction to go and what characters to use. Hitsugaya was popular in Bleach and he started to show up more in storylines. Shinso is amazingly popular for someone who hasn't shown up in much stories and I think they understand his value as a more of a main character. You might be right about him not making the hero class but I think they will find use for him even if he isn't in the class. I think putting him Class B is good way of letting him show up more but not having him always around
Interesting thought. Makes me wonder how much the writers and editors take the popularity contests into consideration. Let's a look a bit at it.

Toshiro didn't appear in the first Bleach poll since he basically hadn't been introduced in the series by then. Then he went to sixth, second and first place in the polls that followed. Despite his obvious popularity I don't think his role in the main story really increased that much, at least not compared to other captains that ranked lower on the polls, though he did often get very prominent fights. He did however get a movie that focused on him and a special chapters as a lead in to said movie.

Compared to that Shinso has ended up in twelth, fourteenth and tenth place in the MHA polls, with his presence being largely relegated to the background until just recently.

So, I'd say that Toshiro's popularity overshadows Shinso by quite a lot going by their respective series, and yet it didn't really impact his presence in the main series beyond what Kubo already planned I think. So, I'd guess that Shinso's appearance in this arc was planned all along rather than being popularity based.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
Not really Hero Academia couldn't do what it does without the existence of American comics to be contrast and it is kinda easy when you have the blueprint of what to do and what not do. And some point Hero Academy will pick up the issues of American comics if it is around long enough. Continuity and having no end in sight screws up a lot of things in American comics.
Very true.

Horikoshi loves American super heroes and draws a lot of inspiration from them. His main advantage over the comics in Marvel and DC is indeed that he doesn't have to keep 60 years of continuity in mind or take into account what 30 other writers are doing with the characters.