Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Polls are good feedback of what direction to go and what characters to use. Hitsugaya was popular in Bleach and he started to show up more in storylines. Shinso is amazingly popular for someone who hasn't shown up in much stories and I think they understand his value as a more of a main character. You might be right about him not making the hero class but I think they will find use for him even if he isn't in the class. I think putting him Class B is good way of letting him show up more but not having him always around
    Interesting thought. Makes me wonder how much the writers and editors take the popularity contests into consideration. Let's a look a bit at it.

Toshiro didn't appear in the first Bleach poll since he basically hadn't been introduced in the series by then. Then he went to sixth, second and first place in the polls that followed. Despite his obvious popularity I don't think his role in the main story really increased that much, at least not compared to other captains that ranked lower on the polls, though he did often get very prominent fights. He did however get a movie that focused on him and a special chapters as a lead in to said movie.

Compared to that Shinso has ended up in twelth, fourteenth and tenth place in the MHA polls, with his presence being largely relegated to the background until just recently.

So, I'd say that Toshiro's popularity overshadows Shinso by quite a lot going by their respective series, and yet it didn't really impact his presence in the main series beyond what Kubo already planned I think. So, I'd guess that Shinso's appearance in this arc was planned all along rather than being popularity based.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Not really Hero Academia couldn't do what it does without the existence of American comics to be contrast and it is kinda easy when you have the blueprint of what to do and what not do. And some point Hero Academy will pick up the issues of American comics if it is around long enough. Continuity and having no end in sight screws up a lot of things in American comics.
    Very true.

Horikoshi loves American super heroes and draws a lot of inspiration from them. His main advantage over the comics in Marvel and DC is indeed that he doesn't have to keep 60 years of continuity in mind or take into account what 30 other writers are doing with the characters.

Extraordinary Member

New chapter is out.

That was a very nice display of team work and an excellent use of Shinso's abilities. I like that Tsuyu acted as as sort of de facto leader throughout most of the match.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    New chapter is out.

That was a very nice display of team work and an excellent use of Shinso's abilities. I like that Tsuyu acted as as sort of de facto leader throughout most of the match.
    Though we have to get props to mah boi Kaminari for coming up with the plan.

Four characters who i would like to see get some backstory/development: Momo, Sero, Mina and Kaminari.

All have gotten some spot light here and there but I don't think any of them have gotten a much needed deep dive yet. You could argue that Mina got a bit of a backstory in Kirishima's flash back but at the same time i would say that it was all about Kirishima and not her.

Plus i wanna know how Momo got a recommendation. they say she comes from a famous hero family, but no one's really talked about them. The only thing that's been said is that they're rich. Usually if they're from a family of heroes (ie Iida and Shoto) they're family gets mentioned to some degree.
    Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Big G View Post
    Though we have to get props to mah boi Kaminari for coming up with the plan.
    Very true. Kaminari's quick thinking and willingness pull tons of aggro were crucial.

It was a big helping of solid teamwork that won that fight, and Kaminari played a big part in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big G View Post
    Four characters who i would like to see get some backstory/development: Momo, Sero, Mina and Kaminari.

All have gotten some spot light here and there but I don't think any of them have gotten a much needed deep dive yet. You could argue that Mina got a bit of a backstory in Kirishima's flash back but at the same time i would say that it was all about Kirishima and not her.

Plus i wanna know how Momo got a recommendation. they say she comes from a famous hero family, but no one's really talked about them. The only thing that's been said is that they're rich. Usually if they're from a family of heroes (ie Iida and Shoto) they're family gets mentioned to some degree.
    I can definitely see Momo, Mina and Kaminari getting expanded backstories or serious character progression scenes down the line (though Kaminari is doing really well with smaller bits of development scattered across several arcs). But I think that Sero will unfortunately be without.

I kinda hope that Ochako could get some major development and/or fight herself. I do enjoy her arc and how it's been going so far. But I really want her to get into a big fight, not against Toga, and win it through blood, sweat and determination after some brutal intensity. She deserves it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post

Horikoshi loves American super heroes and draws a lot of inspiration from them. His main advantage over the comics in Marvel and DC is indeed that he doesn't have to keep 60 years of continuity in mind or take into account what 30 other writers are doing with the characters.
    And not having his plans derailed once or twice a year to support the mandatory crossover event. I think that's the biggest problem in the big 2 right now. The crossover resets everything, and is often done by people who don't care to keep your character in character.

Incredible Member

Here's something I've been thinking about;

What would it be like if this Anime crossed over with the Champions or the Titans?

The latest chapter was great. I am glad that Kaminari was able to show how smart he is as up to this point, he was a punchline as one of the least intelligent members of 1-A.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Just got into this a couple months back, at first I was just passively watching to see what the fuss was about, then that turned to addiction and binge watching the anime. All caught up and loving it. I think I'll wait till season 3 concludes but then I know I'm binging the manga.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Extraordinary Member

My Hero Academia: Another really fun chapter.

I'm really enjoying all the interactions between the students and classes. It's all just very wholesome and nice. I really like that Monoma gets to show a... friendly side in how quickly he's accepted Shinso.

And it's a lot of fun to see the quirks of the various class B members.

My Hero academia 198 quick recap

- Students in class A (Tsusyu, Denki,Eijoro,Koji) with Shinjo and Class b (Ibara,Jutora,hiryu,Kosei) are debrief after their fight and told what they could have done better
    - Teachers state this is kinda of entrance exam for Shinjo
    -The second group class A and B get ready to fight, Momo and Itusku have convo which explains why Istuku thinks they are rivals, Shihai and Tokoyami have similar convo
    -The fight begins Tokoyami comes out strong but Shihai counters and we learn he pretty much a counter to tokoyami
    -Tokoyami says he learn a move from Hawks which he calls "Black Fallen Angel"

Pretty good issue how they breakdown how they can improve the quirks is very good. They have a moment where Class A talking about combos they can use I liked. The other hightlight for me was Monoma hinting at his plan use Shinjo in a fight. Good Issue alot cool stuff

Y'all forgetting something important:
    Bakugo's Winter Costume is lit
    DC, please give Jonah Hex a new solo.

Extraordinary Member

I am really enjoying this new arc.

It's always to see the side characters shine, and it's a great opportunity to expand on class B's quirks and personalities while also getting to see how the class A students have grown. Adding Shinso is just icing on the cake.

I hope that class B wins at least two matches so that it doesn't become a clean sweep for class A. But after the current match class B have got some difficult teams to overcome.

Extraordinary Member

Happy 200 chapters.

It's a bit short this week, but still all good.

I'm sensing a pattern so far. Class B seem to be better at planning ahead while class A are better at thinking on their feet and reacting to said plans.

Oh no, I finished the Anime this weekend then blitzed through the manga! I'm all caught up, what to do now.

Ah well first time since Bleach and Naruto ended that I'll have a shounen to read with One Piece.

On 200 I will say the characters were right on the Comic Hero, how is that going to work animated in English?
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    Oh no, I finished the Anime this weekend then blitzed through the manga! I'm all caught up, what to do now.

Ah well first time since Bleach and Naruto ended that I'll have a shounen to read with One Piece.

On 200 I will say the characters were right on the Comic Hero, how is that going to work animated in English?
    You wait. Like the rest of us.

You wait a week for the next chapter and about a year for the next season.

I'm wondering what limitations Manga-face's quirk has. Because manifesting sound effects that turn into that particular effect has some OP pontential. Maybe it's like Kouda and the effectiveness is based on how loud he can make the effect.