Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Ok, so the draw was kinda expected. But damn if this chapter wasn't more dramatic than I thought it would be.

I like that it came down to the more neglected side characters. Ojiro got a pretty darn impressive showing with the blow back he caused with his tail sweep and Pony displayed good control and decision making skills towards the end.

The calmer later half had some nice interactions, especially between Todoroki, Iida and Honenuki. They acknowledge their respective flaws but don't let it drag them down while also improving the relationships between the classes. And Todoroki finally realises that he should start his fights with something other than a giant ice wave.

This next match will be interesting. Bakugo has a mad plan ready but he's up against another one of the kids that got in via recommendation, and Monoma (whose **** eating is as brilliant as always) really trusts in her.

I was really hoping Ojiro and Shoji would've taken the win since they haven't had many awesome moments. Or at-least Ojiro hasn't and it would've been great since everyone calls him plain and he somehow ended up winning because of his "plainness".
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Extraordinary Member

Setsuna's quirk is pretty darn unnerving, and I like that she modelled her hero identity after a lizard because of it. That's neat thinking.

Class B's planning once again trumps class A's. But Bakugo's quick reflexes keep it from being a really fast TPK. Now the other three just have to show that they can kick some ass too, preferably by saving Bakugo's ass at at least one point.

I always wish there were more pages and issues.

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

results of the latest popularity poll

Results for the My Hero Academia 4th popularity poll, which had a total of 80714 votes!

1 - Bakugo Katsuki
    2 - Todoroki Shoto
    3 - Midoriya Izuku
    4 - Hawks
    5 - Kirishima Eijiro
    6 - Best Jeanist
    7 - Yaoyorozu Momo
    8 - Endeavor
    9 - Iida Tenya
    10 - All Might

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    I always wish there were more pages and issues.
    I don't know if its just me, but it feels like the pages for all these chapters have been much shorter than they usually are. Though I can't tell if they actually are, or if this is a case of all the "Fighting arcs" where non-stop action just ends up taking more page space.

I would say the arc has still been pretty good, but we are reaching a point where it may be overstaying its welcome, its about to get to 20 chapters and we aren't even at the final round yet. Hoping it's like the Overhaul arc where the conclusion made the build up worth it (though to give this credit I don't think this has felt as drawn out as Overhaul's did)

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    I don't know if its just me, but it feels like the pages for all these chapters have been much shorter than they usually are. Though I can't tell if they actually are, or if this is a case of all the "Fighting arcs" where non-stop action just ends up taking more page space.

I would say the arc has still been pretty good, but we are reaching a point where it may be overstaying its welcome, its about to get to 20 chapters and we aren't even at the final round yet. Hoping it's like the Overhaul arc where the conclusion made the build up worth it (though to give this credit I don't think this has felt as drawn out as Overhaul's did)
    Apparently the writer has been having health issues or worrying about getting health issues so he has been working a bit slower. Which is fine because it's always better to take care of yourself rather than push yourself too hard.

Extraordinary Member

Apparently the writer has been having health issues or worrying about getting health issues so he has been working a bit slower. Which is fine because it's always better to take care of yourself rather than push yourself too hard.
    Yeah, and being a mangaka for a weekly series is notoriously stressinducing, hence why it's common for some series to just take a well earned week off at times.

For My Hero Academia, there have been some chapters in this arc that are shorter than average. That and the frenetic pace of the action does make for a very quick read. Which is somewhat offset by the low stakes for the fights. I think that this arc well read better when one reads it all at once.

Ah dang, I had heard that Horikoshi was dealing with some stress so he had to skip a couple weeks, but I didn't realize it was full on health issues. But yeah, ultimately him working at his own pace is what matters most.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    Yeah, and being a mangaka for a weekly series is notoriously stressinducing, hence why it's common for some series to just take a well earned week off at times.

For My Hero Academia, there have been some chapters in this arc that are shorter than average. That and the frenetic pace of the action does make for a very quick read. Which is somewhat offset by the low stakes for the fights. I think that this arc well read better when one reads it all at once.
    Yeah, I agree that reading it all in one go in the volume format, and when its eventually adapted into anime, will have it flow that much better.

Extraordinary Member

And the fourth match is done.

Bakugo is the dominating presence of the team, but Jiro, Sero and Sato all do get to strut their stuff as well. Teamwork wins the day.

This part is going to be extrabadass in the anime since they're probably going to be playing Bakugo's kickass theme during it.

It is the strangest piece of teamwork because Bakugo is being his normal abrasive self but having fine tuned team work. It is kinda perfect

The most interesting question I have is with Bakugo being the most popular character now, Can the writer make the pivot away from being Deku centric to Bakugo being a co main character because just putting his personality aside for a second. He most like the Shonen characters we are used to who running around screaming "I am going to be the number 1" ala Naruto, Asta, Luffy. Bakugo growth is amazing and it is as compelling story as Deku. Taking a character from hated to most of your fanbase liking him is amazing.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 11-30-2018 at 03:07 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    It is the strangest piece of teamwork because Bakugo is being his normal abrasive self but having fine tuned team work. It is kinda perfect

The most interesting question I have is with Bakugo being the most popular character now, Can the writer make the pivot away from being Deku centric to Bakugo being a co main character because just putting his personality aside for a second. He most like the Shonen characters we are used to who running around screaming "I am going to be the number 1" ala Naruto, Asta, Luffy.
    I doubt that will happen. It's not at all uncommon for rival characters, or someone less entrenched in main character tropes, to take higher spots in popularity polls, Luffy and Goku are to my recollection exceptions as they consistently rank at the top of their respective polls.

But Naruto, Ichigo, Medaka and Meliodas were all unable to claim the top spot in the polls.

So yeah, Izuku is going to remain the lead character of the series, as he should be.

Awesome seeing 1-A sweep and Sato actually got to do something.

Extraordinary Member

Awesome seeing 1-A sweep and Sato actually got to do something.
    Agreed.

Now I hope that Izuku and Ochako can win their match. And I really hope that they don't lose it because of Izuku being distracted by whatever is going on with OfA.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    Agreed.

Now I hope that Izuku and Ochako can win their match. And I really hope that they don't lose it because of Izuku being distracted by whatever is going on with OfA.
    I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Deku's team ends up losing since Bakugo won. I really want to see Deku kick the crap out of Monoma in the next round.