Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Deku's team ends up losing since Bakugo won. I really want to see Deku kick the crap out of Monoma in the next round.
    It does feel like it's a bit up in the air at the moment.

But I'll hold on to hope that team Green Tea/Gravity Smash + Pinky and the Pervert will prevail.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    I doubt that will happen. It's not at all uncommon for rival characters, or someone less entrenched in main character tropes, to take higher spots in popularity polls, Luffy and Goku are to my recollection exceptions as they consistently rank at the top of their respective polls.

But Naruto, Ichigo, Medaka and Meliodas were all unable to claim the top spot in the polls.

So yeah, Izuku is going to remain the lead character of the series, as he should be.
    Not to mention Todoroki was named most popular a couple times and it didn't end up effecting how he was shown in the story. I do think how Bakugo has been handled now has been the best, he has played very important roles in both the story and in Midoryia's development, to the point where he's probably the 3rd most important character behind Midoryia and All Might, but I think trying to make him a co-lead with page time on par with Midoryia might muddle things.

And regarding how the final round may go, I do think that ultimately whoever wins, loses, or ties that round won't really matter, and all the focus will be on whatever is going down with Midroyia and One For All. Whether that's Shinzo doing something, Monoma doing something, or Midoryia doing it himself, I think its very possible it can directly lead into something big going down (maybe someone else finds out the secret)

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    Not to mention Todoroki was named most popular a couple times and it didn't end up effecting how he was shown in the story. I do think how Bakugo has been handled now has been the best, he has played very important roles in both the story and in Midoryia's development, to the point where he's probably the 3rd most important character behind Midoryia and All Might, but I think trying to make him a co-lead with page time on par with Midoryia might muddle things.

And regarding how the final round may go, I do think that ultimately whoever wins, loses, or ties that round won't really matter, and all the focus will be on whatever is going down with Midroyia and One For All. Whether that's Shinzo doing something, Monoma doing something, or Midoryia doing it himself, I think its very possible it can directly lead into something big going down (maybe someone else finds out the secret)
    Todoroki's never won the polls. This was his highest placing yet.

And the fourth match is done.

Bakugo is the dominating presence of the team, but Jiro, Sero and Sato all do get to strut their stuff as well. Teamwork wins the day.

This part is going to be extrabadass in the anime since they're probably going to be playing Bakugo's kickass theme during it.
    This fight was badass. Glad the whole team got a moment to shine. Bakugou always impresses but what I loved the most was Bakugou show strength and growth by allowing his team mates to save him.

Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    Todoroki's never won the polls. This was his highest placing yet.
    You're right I misremembered, though he was ranked #2 in the first popularity poll just like in this one. And Bakugo's been number 1 the past 3 of them, as well as the second US one. Midoryia was #1 for the first Japanese and first American ones.

You're right I misremembered, though he was ranked #2 in the first popularity poll just like in this one. And Bakugo's been number 1 the past 3 of them, as well as the second US one. Midoryia was #1 for the first Japanese and first American ones.
    Yeah I just ranked this time as highest because he had such a massive increase in votes since the last poll.

Extraordinary Member

Speaking of Todoroki, I was thinking a bit about how his development in coming along, especially compared to Deku and Bakugo. And I think that he's kinda lagging behind them at the moment. But like, not in a bad way.

Bakugo is confident in himself, has an amazing drive to push himself and is really competent for his age. His main issue obviously being that he's got a shitty attitude and he's only relatively recently learned that he's not the biggest fish in the sea and that being the number one hero means so much more than to just be the strongest.

Deku on the other hand is kind, truly heroic, just as driven as Bakugo and the with which he's getting better with One For All is quite astounding (his list of accomplishments speaks for itself). But he's still in the process of building up the confidence required for be the number one hero and he can be kinda overzealous in his pursuits (which often leads to both good and bad things).

Then there's Todoroki. He's confident and skilled like Bakugo but kind and thoughtful like Deku, and he's got a busted quirk. But he seems to be somewhat lacking in terms of drive compared to the other two. He still wants to become a hero and save people, but his goals don't go quite as far as the number one spot. And while he's confident he doesn't seem to be as aware of just how good he is, or how good he could be (see him being surprised when his team suggests that he should be the centerpiece of their strategy during their match). He's just a bit too humble for his own good and possibly still a bit lost and conflicted due to his family issues and what his father's done. He's just going through a lot on several levels, possibly more so than the other two (at least more than Bakugo) and I think all that baggage is holding him back despite having a better starting point.

This is not a criticism of Todoroki's development, just some thoughts I needed to write down. I definitely think that it's intentional on Horikoshi's end and that when Todoroki does get his emotions more sorted out he'll be catching up again. I look forward to the development of all these guys, and the entire class to be honest.

Speaking of Todoroki, I was thinking a bit about how his development in coming along, especially compared to Deku and Bakugo. And I think that he's kinda lagging behind them at the moment. But like, not in a bad way.

Bakugo is confident in himself, has an amazing drive to push himself and is really competent for his age. His main issue obviously being that he's got a shitty attitude and he's only relatively recently learned that he's not the biggest fish in the sea and that being the number one hero means so much more than to just be the strongest.

Deku on the other hand is kind, truly heroic, just as driven as Bakugo and the with which he's getting better with One For All is quite astounding (his list of accomplishments speaks for itself). But he's still in the process of building up the confidence required for be the number one hero and he can be kinda overzealous in his pursuits (which often leads to both good and bad things).

Then there's Todoroki. He's confident and skilled like Bakugo but kind and thoughtful like Deku, and he's got a busted quirk. But he seems to be somewhat lacking in terms of drive compared to the other two. He still wants to become a hero and save people, but his goals don't go quite as far as the number one spot. And while he's confident he doesn't seem to be as aware of just how good he is, or how good he could be (see him being surprised when his team suggests that he should be the centerpiece of their strategy during their match). He's just a bit too humble for his own good and possibly still a bit lost and conflicted due to his family issues and what his father's done. He's just going through a lot on several levels, possibly more so than the other two (at least more than Bakugo) and I think all that baggage is holding him back despite having a better starting point.

This is not a criticism of Todoroki's development, just some thoughts I needed to write down. I definitely think that it's intentional on Horikoshi's end and that when Todoroki does get his emotions more sorted out he'll be catching up again. I look forward to the development of all these guys, and the entire class to be honest.
    I do think Todoroki's main character development will be about figuring out what his purpose is, because that's probably the thing that's been holding him back. He spent his whole childhood as nothing more than Endeavor's tool to surpass All Might to be Number 1. Then his resentment for Endeavor led to him wanting to be Number 1, but only by using Ice to spite his father. Since his heart to heart with Midoryia at the Sports Festival, he's basically been trying to find a way out of his father's shadow, which has been growing more and more difficult, especially with Endeavor as the number 1 and him wanting to atone for his actions.

I feel once he finally realizes what it is he wants to do, whether it's becoming Number 1, simply just improving himself, or anything else that's when he'll really start to get more focused. And for me personally, I think the mystery behind the third Todoroki brother is going to directly lead into him finding his purpose of what he wants.

Extraordinary Member

I do think Todoroki's main character development will be about figuring out what his purpose is, because that's probably the thing that's been holding him back. He spent his whole childhood as nothing more than Endeavor's tool to surpass All Might to be Number 1. Then his resentment for Endeavor led to him wanting to be Number 1, but only by using Ice to spite his father. Since his heart to heart with Midoryia at the Sports Festival, he's basically been trying to find a way out of his father's shadow, which has been growing more and more difficult, especially with Endeavor as the number 1 and him wanting to atone for his actions.

I feel once he finally realizes what it is he wants to do, whether it's becoming Number 1, simply just improving himself, or anything else that's when he'll really start to get more focused. And for me personally, I think the mystery behind the third Todoroki brother is going to directly lead into him finding his purpose of what he wants.
    Ah yes, the mystery of whatever happened to Touya Todoroki and how did he become Dabi.

There are so many hints about Dabi being Touya that I'm wondering if it's a double bluff on Horikoshi's part. But I hope not because I really like this theory.

Ah yes, the mystery of whatever happened to Touya Todoroki and how did he become Dabi.

There are so many hints about Dabi being Touya that I'm wondering if it's a double bluff on Horikoshi's part. But I hope not because I really like this theory.
    I think Touya = Dabi is the R+L=J of My Hero Academia. They've done everything to tease it being true it would actually be disappointing if it wasn't. There is just too much information that fits so well into place, plus I think it could lead to a really interesting story.

I could imagine we'll get something like Dabi publicly revealing his true name, ruining Endeavor's reputation to the public, leading Hawks to become the "new number 1", which will be good for the LoV since they think he's on their side. And then there could also be Todoroki being confronted by or wanting to confront his brother because of all this.

Vz just released the latest US Popularity Poll Results. Wasn't aware they did these polls outside of Japan as well.

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Go for it, I just started a couple days ago. It's the same greatness of the series just in book form.
    Thanks . Picked it up Volume 1, 2, 3 on Amazon and I couldn't have started at a better time. Lacking reading material of late thanks to DC and their suckage.

I'm enjoying it. i was dubious going in. Reading what I've already seen animated and I somehow had the impression that Manga generally had crap art. I might seek out other anime's in Manga form.

Extraordinary Member

As the fifth and final match is about to get underway, sinister things are happening all over the place.

I never considered that All For One might be aware of whatever is going on with Izuku's quirk. Hopefully nothing will happen that causes Izuku's team to lose the match. That would suck.

I really enjoyed Monoma in this chapter. When not talking to class A he can be supportive, strategic and generally pleasant. Good on you you beautiful shit.

As the fifth and final match is about to get underway, sinister things are happening all over the place.

I never considered that All For One might be aware of whatever is going on with Izuku's quirk. Hopefully nothing will happen that causes Izuku's team to lose the match. That would suck.

I really enjoyed Monoma in this chapter. When not talking to class A he can be supportive, strategic and generally pleasant. Good on you you beautiful shit.
    I'm with you regarding AFO, never considered how much of a connection he would have to Midroyia, but considering he did create the power, it makes sense. I am curious if we'll be getting a Harry Potter horcrux-style approach with AFO able to sense Midroyia and look into thoughts, which if so OH MAN will that be crazy.

I can't tell if I misread or the translation I read was a bit off, but it seems like 5B's plan will be for Shinzo to try and subdue Midroyia, since he's the strongest and biggest threat, so that Monoma can copy his quirk, which he also states not to completely rely on since he's aware how dangerous it can be. And considering how basically magical One For All is, will be very curious to see what the ramifications will be. All this build up during this arc essentially confirmed somethings gonna go down with that power. And it's gonna be goooooood.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Reading what I've already seen animated and I somehow had the impression that Manga generally had crap art. I might seek out other anime's in Manga form.
    I didn't think this looked amateurish for manga art but it wasn't my cup of tea either. Fortunately it has enough heart and character to win over.