Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Default Action Comics issue #1002 Spoiler Discussion

Damn, the intrigue in this issue is off the charts! So many players, and such a intricate world being implied here. It's like Netflix's Daredevil season 1 meets Superman. You know what? Yeah. I can't actually think of a better comparison or complement that describes this book.

Few highlights:

-"drunk" Clark as an alternative to bumbling Clark as an act to get info

- The opening page

- Guardian showing up as an implied entity in the city

- The mob using the press against Superman BECAUSE they know how important it is in his world and who made it that way.

- They don't dare speak Lois name

- Not saying the K word out loud

- That poor biker dude lol

- Superman blowing off steam

- That ending....

Hmmm seems I've jotted down the whole issue basically lol
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

BANNED

Wow...are we getting AC#1004 an issue early next month?

I'm just so got damn interested in what Lois has been/is doing! Also, I really, really wonder what Lois book is about. Cat's checked out some of the galley proof but not the whole thing. Next issue Lois will apparently be meeting with Lex, and she's in disguise here. She's got a lot of plates spinning, and I can't wait to know more.

I have to imagine Lois will be asking Clark for some time before she spills the beans in issue 1004, thus issue 1003. Again, I just gotta say, the intrigue factor is great this issue. Netflix Daredevil season 1 feel all the way.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 08-22-2018 at 01:28 AM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I'm just so got damn interested in what Lois has been/is doing! Also, I really, really wonder what Lois book is about. Cat's checked out some of the galley proof but not the whole thing. Next issue Lois will apparently be meeting with Lex, and she's in disguise her. She's got a lot of plates spinning, and I can't wait to know more.
    It's reassuring to me that Bendis isn't going to drag out the Lois and Clark drama and will be cutting to the chase over the next two issues so this unique "Mr and Mrs Smith" style status quo can take shape. That was my main concern what with Bendis' reputation for wait-for-trade decompression

Good point that Lois could be in disguise with Lex, though it's odd that she's doing that when she was fine letting Cat in on the fact she was back

Only real issue I had with this one was Bendis' voice for Guardian, and the Bendis speak with Maggie in the hospital.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 08-22-2018 at 01:28 AM.

Not in disguise *with* Lex, but rather that she's just in disguise in general, and she'll later be meeting with Lex next issue. I assume Clark will be the one asking "what's she doing with Lex" now that he knows she's on Earth.

As far as Cat getting the proofs go. Cat's pretty well connected, and Lois must go to a publisher to get her book, well, published. It's not a leap in logic to assume that Cat Grant can get a small look at the upcoming book. Doesn't sound like she actually spoke to Lois face to face if at all.

I still struggle to really get what constitutes as "Bendis speak" because that Maggie scene at the hospital was pretty clear and easy to follow while denoting the emotions in the room. I just don't know, man. I guess it's a taste thing or whatever. And for the role Jim played--this neighborhood super beat cop--I quite liked his older "bruiser" voice. Then again, it worked for me because I only know him from that Cadmus arc in Kirby's Jimmy Olsen run, and he was a sort of "man out of time" character. Bendis my be working off that?
    Last edited by Superlad93; 08-22-2018 at 01:41 AM.

BANNED

I still struggle to really get what constitutes as "Bendis speak" because that Maggie scene at the hospital was pretty clear and easy to follow while denoting the emotions in the room. I just don't know, man. I guess it's a taste thing or whatever.
    I was referring to this:

"Red Cloud"

"Red Tornado?"

"Red Cloud"

"Red Cloud?"

"Red Cloouuuuuuuuuud"

Anytime that happens? That's Bendis speak.

Mighty Member

I think the whole "Bendis Speak" is just another way for folks to discredit him, i suppose. It was good seeing Guardian back in the fold. I'm just wondering if whether he'll actually play a part in this run. Bendis strikes me as someone who likes using obscure things. Another great issue, no problems here. Story is moving along nicely.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Anti-Geek View Post
    I think the whole "Bendis Speak" is just another way for folks to discredit him
    Wrong. I'm a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    I was referring to this:

"Red Cloud"

"Red Tornado?"

"Red Cloud"

"Red Cloud?"

"Red Cloouuuuuuuuuud"

Anytime that happens? That's Bendis speak.
    Forgive me, but I honestly fail to see the transgression here. So, I suppose it's taste.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 08-22-2018 at 02:47 AM.

BANNED

Forgive me, but I honestly fail to see the transgression here. So, I suppose it's taste.
    Who said it was a transgression? I was pointing out a habit of Bendis. I'm not trying to slate him.

BANNED

at least he hasn't carried over the crazies spouting meta stuff while being arrested gag at DC yet.

Astonishing Member

From what I can tell, people have generally slated the "Bendis speak" so those of us who don't get what the big deal is with it, see it as a criticism every time it's brought up.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    From what I can tell, people have generally slated the "Bendis speak" so those of us who don't get what the big deal is with it, see it as a criticism every time it's brought up.
    You'd be right, it is a common criticism for people who put up with it long-term at Marvel. I'm annoyed by it sometimes, but only slightly. I was just pointing out such an occurrence where it bugged me, but it did not ruin the issue.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Moxie, Maggie, and Jim. Nice callback to the streets as they were. I don't really know why Jim sounded like a hockey player and I'm not sure why Superman "needed" what I assume is a venting break, but the rest was really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Who said it was a transgression? I was pointing out a habit of Bendis. I'm not trying to slate him.
    Yeah it's kinda surprising to me that people can't recognize it and also assume it's made up to complain about him. It's-- it's a thing.

BANNED

I'm dropping this book, nothing happened whatsoever. This is just ridiculous.