Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Mystery in Madripoor #4 Spoilers

After Psylocke’s soul is drained by Sapphire Styx, she finds herself in Saphhire’s mindscape and reflects on her life. Betsy takes her time to investigate and finds out Sapphire has been feeding on others for years. When she finds a piece of Logan’s soul trapped there for years, she urges him to fight together and uses her telepathy to help him do so, hence his Patch persona appearing before Styx before. All the other souls beg Betsy to avenge them and it’s what she does by breaking Sapphire’s body from within. Betsy uses all the soul power unleashed by Sapphire to rebuild her original body, molecule by molecule, and makes her way back to the physical world, appearing before her X-Men friends. She’s back to where she belongs. Kitty and the others are taken aback by her original appearance, but there’s no time to celebrate yet. Magneto is still too weak to stop the rocket, so Kitty phases Rogue and Storm out of the vessel. Meanwhile Betsy overwhelms and defeats Bloodlust. Jubilee takes on Knockout. When Viper strikes back, Psylocke then proceeds to implant a suggestion in her brain, blurring her vision. Kitty manages to rescue Rogue and Storm, but Magneto is unable to prevent the rocket launching as he is still too weak. Psylocke then confuses Snake-whip by making her target an illusion instead of her. Rogue touches Knockout and absorbs her powers, defeating her and getting some revenge. Domino points a gun at Snake-ship, who surrenders. Storm makes her entrance and stops the torrential rain hitting Madripoor; Betsy is amazed at her, just like when she joined the X-Men. Magneto threatens to murder Mindblast, and Psylocke is ready to stop him if necessary killing him again, but he backs down before anything can happen. Afterwards, the X-Men interrogates Magneto, and Psylocke knows he has nothing to do in Wolverine. Erik promises to clean up Viper’s mess in Madripoor and track her down, as she has escaped. When it comes to finding Wolverine, Kitty says their only lead was “Soteira”, the organization name. which was revealed by Snake-whip in return for a lighter sentence. Meanwhile Betsy is by herself, admiring the view of Madripoor’s cityline. Jubilee meets her to make sure she’s okay and asks if this is the original her and if she remembers everything they’ve gone through. Betsy says she does. Psylocke explains that when Sapphire exploded, she used the soul power she left behind to create a physical body for herself. It feels a bit strange, but comforting. For so many years her body has been manipulated by others (Dr. Synne, S.T.R.I.K.E., Mojo, The Hand), but no more. Now she’s herself. Meanwhile, back at the Femme Fatales’ headquarters, Soteira’s employees are cleaning up the mess, but they are surprised by… the Asian body alive! The woman wants to ask a few questions! Kwannon?

Zub really did his homework here. Psylocke choosing on her own free will is a nice change from villains forcing things on her. She was pretty resourceful and badass and the moment with Jubilee was really cute. The ending is very intriguing! I wonder where it goes from here if that's really Kwannon. I loved it.

The check list

1. Psylocke got her body back no stealing of bodies
    2. Kwannon is back,So a potential Asian Psylocke is still around
    3. Psylocke retains all her memories, So She still should be ninjaing around if she chooses too

So simply put no controversy to be had just clean surgical writing

Incredible Member Infernal-Ginger's Avatar

So every Psylocke fan should be happy with this.....everyone got what they wanted....I hope that Kwannon is a villain

Nice to see Betts use her psychic illusion abilities again....while I prefer the first artist on the book, she actually looked decent through the entire issue. Very excited to see her back in the original "body"

Ultimate Member

No every fan did not get what they wanted, and it's just gotten more confusing as now that Kwannon is around people will still call her Psylocke since that's how she's been for the past 30 years or so, and really no reason why she didn't make herself an Asian body outside of editorial getting involved imho...and now we have the X-men's ninja as a white woman...yeah that would never cause any problems...

This was a good way to do it, it being an incidental opportunity she took rather then someone else's idea. Art was very unfortunate though. Jubilee seems to use multicolored energy bubbles now.

BANNED

So it was the 'soul power' which created her original body and NOT the telekinetic powers that most people here thought?

I thought soul power is only for absorbing souls. LOL

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    No every fan did not get what they wanted, and it's just gotten more confusing as now that Kwannon is around people will still call her Psylocke since that's how she's been for the past 30 years or so, and really no reason why she didn't make herself an Asian body outside of editorial getting involved imho...and now we have the X-men's ninja as a white woman...yeah that would never cause any problems...
    This is the first time that Betsy got the opportunity to make her OWN body for herself. She's never gotten that choice, and the fact is that both Kwannon's body and the body that Jamie made for her (if it wasn't identical to Kwannon's) weren't the bodies that Betsy was born with and spent the majority of her life in. We see here that Betsy's soul was still that of a white woman, and ultimately that's probably how she ideally saw herself the whole time. There was probably some serious body dysmorphia issues going on behind the scenes for Psylocke that were never addressed. It's only a natural choice that when given the opportunity to make a body and a future for herself, she'd pick the body that she started in and was most comfortable in.

And yes I'm aware that Psylocke was presented with her original body or a facsimile thereof and didn't take it, but that's because it also meant working for Cassandra Nova.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

The reason she didnt make an asian body should be obvious in universe especially for a supossed betsy fan...

Becaise its her as she was before Spirials body shop. Before Mojo's eye Camera. Thats the reason. This is how she saw herself imo. In her ftrue form of betsy braddock and english women.
    Im also curious for the kwannon thing. I know its comics but i guess a piece of her soul or genetic memory or whatever reason they give resided in the body since she died as revanche.
    X-Men Forever

The most serious question I have is: Is this nu-body redux-BLONDE? Or did this molecule by molecule DIY come in LAVENDER?

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    The most serious question I have is: Is this nu-body redux-BLONDE? Or did this molecule by molecule DIY come in LAVENDER?
    I'm going to go ahead and assume that her hair is au naturale, baby. She makes it a point to give her soul lavender hair and then the body comes out looking like that, too.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    I'm going to go ahead and assume that her hair is au naturale, baby. She makes it a point to give her soul lavender hair and then the body comes out looking like that, too.
    Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinteresting.
    I guess she'll save a bunch of time and money on not having to continually dye it.

I guess she'll save a bunch of time and money on not having to continually dye it.
    Her eyes are also straight up lavender too, so I think Bets went full purple.

I don't know what more you can real ask for though. People who want ninja asian Psylocke can have that, People who want original Psylocke back they have that. People who want Psylocke not be a yellowface character have that. Psylocke story was already confusing it is hard to make it more messed up but once those fan lock on to aspect of character they like the most the Ninja Asian part or person who large history with X-men they will get what they want.

As for the white X-men's ninja part well Wolverine has doing that for years with nobody caring about him knowing Martial arts, So that is pretty much non issue. Have they been problematic showing of Asian culture in some stories? Yes. Are Asians the only people on earth who do martials arts? No. Quite frankly anybody who thinks that white woman is ninja problem because they are white well that person thinking is the real problem. Anyways Logan, Kitty, Prodigy, Shatterstar just to name a few do martials arts, Psylocke is just one more.

Presumably, the carpet matches the drapes now...

With the Asian awake at the end, I wonder, where wil;l we see what this is about, as this was the final issue of the mini.

Is this Kwannon as villain, or Revanche as good one, or Styx in the Asian body perhaps??