Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    lol the irony in this post !!!
    Crying about people crying is cultural appropriation
    Nobody is crying on this side. Sorry you misunderstood. I am a fan for life but this was obviously nothing more than a PR stunt to appease the every expanding group of those who think labeling everything and segregating cultures is far better than imagination and enjoying the magic of exploring the unexplorable. Was the body melding done correctly no.....These are comics and I am all for a good story but this was absolute shyte as well.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Psy View Post
    It's a freaking comic book and I think most people wouldn't want their favorite character drastically reverted to appease a few cry babies who think cultural appropriation is a real thing....... It's not.
    Your written "anger" shows otherwise. It seems you care very deeply that they didn't appease your "side" by leaving her alone, to appease the other side by fixing her.
    Trust me I don't make cultural appropriation arguments unless needed. As a Black man, I know people like a lot of things blacks give, without actually liking the blacks attached to them.

Cultural Appropriation is a thing, but many Anti-SJW SJW's never see it when their side is well represented. ALL cultures adopt and take from each other, but some things are specific to that culture. When that cultures tropes are taken and used without acknowledging the actual culture it's appropriation.

It's literally a thing. It's not always a thing, but in this instance yes, it's a thing.

cultural appropriation
    noun [ U ] UK /ˌkʌl.tʃər.əl əˌprəʊ.priˈeɪ.ʃən/ US /ˌkʌl.tʃɚ.əl əˌproʊ.priˈeɪ.ʃən/ disapproving

the act of taking or using things from a culture that is not your own, especially without showing that you understand or respect this culture

What Exactly Is Cultural Appropriation? Here's What You Need To Know
    Let's have this chat before you buy your Halloween costume.

I see a white dude with dreads I don't get triggered. He could be a bohemian, a rasta, or just like having friggin dreads.

When I see people tell Native Americans to get over the Redskins name and stupid depictions, and then when they voice their concerns are ignored, yet morons wanna run around as Chief I don't give an F--k! That bothers me.
    When I see people running around dressed in blackface, with KFC, and Water melons, that bothers me just as much as them thinking Elvis "invented" Rock and Roll, while ignoring the Chuck Berry's of the world.
    Last edited by Tazirai; 08-26-2018 at 11:26 AM.

Spectacular Member

The subject of cultural appropriation tends to be a bit more complex when it comes to Asian cultures IMO. That is because we are a minority in the west, yet make up 60% of the total population. There's some really interesting phenomena where Asian Americans may consider something to be cultural appropriation but Asians living in Asia may consider that same thing to be appreciation. Examples: The girl wearing the Chinese dress to prom, Katy Perry's performance with the modified kimono, etc. There's a dynamic unique to our situation where we are not the sole custodians of our culture. Asian-Americans and Asians in the motherland both have claim to the same culture... but may provide conflicting feedback to individuals as to whether or not they consider something appropriation or appreciation as one set of feedback is given by those who are a minority and the other is given by those who are in the majority.

Michelle Yeoh has articulated this a few times during the press tour for Crazy Rich Asians. Where you are part of the dominant culture in the east but are considered a minority in the west.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    When I see people tell Native Americans to get over the Redskins name and stupid depictions, and then when they voice their concerns are ignored, yet morons wanna run around as Chief I don't give an F--k! That bothers me.
    Huh. Interesting.
    Last edited by TurboTaj; 08-26-2018 at 12:18 PM.

For the last time. I do not care that they reverted her back. I care that they bent to some PC movement to make everything inoffensive. The world doesn't bend to your offense. You learn to live and deal in healthy ways with it.

This story was absolute crap. They could have done a far better job at returning her to status quo. As I have said we shall see where they take her from here but I am not sold on this yet. Which is fine......

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Was Sapphire Styx really strong enough to give Betsy that much trouble? Gimme a god damned break.
    Adamantium Agenda was still the best of the 4 (until I finish the Daredevil one).

I would also like to thank Marvel for providing more roles for Caucasian women in Marvel by making Betsy white again. lol
    Last edited by Triniking1234; 08-27-2018 at 07:35 AM.

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

For the last time. I do not care that they reverted her back. I care that they bent to some PC movement to make everything inoffensive. The world doesn't bend to your offense. You learn to live and deal in healthy ways with it.

This story was absolute crap. They could have done a far better job at returning her to status quo. As I have said we shall see where they take her from here but I am not sold on this yet. Which is fine......

What?! She was literally another race for over three decades....

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    She was MIXED with another race for 30 plus years, correct. My reply, so what?

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Fine, how about this? She was mixed with another race for nearly twenty years and was another race for what, fourteen? If we're being pedantic.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

That's some bad maths. I'm offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    Fine, how about this? She was mixed with another race for nearly twenty years and was another race for what, fourteen? If we're being pedantic.
    Again so what? I don't see an issue with this. At moments it was not handled appropriately at all and they lacked a massive aspect of her exploring these consequential changes to more than her physical appearance and fighting ability.

The act of one waking up mixed or even in a full fledged different race is not inappropriate of itself. It's a very interesting concept. The execution was poor and the meat of it was completely overlooked. I am not arguing any of that. I am arguing that this concept is not appropriation and this story was muddled and rushed. Sure it had some great OG Psylocke moments but this story did not live up to the potential that this story should have had.

Also it seems that this shotty story is being overlooked due to the simple fact that it's PC. Stories suffer when mandates are put upon their creators.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    lol this was a ridiculous issue. Why is a new/old major change to Psylockes character told in a 2nd teir Wolverine mini???

Also WTF happened? I had to read it quickly before leavin my buddys place but I still dont get how she unbanana'd herself.

The Sisterhood arc with Maddy P and Selene made sooooooooooooooooooooooo much more sense to get Betsy In her OG body
    Let's be honest, a second tier Wolverine mini would probably still get better sales than a psylocke one, lol. But seriously, I think marvel might be trying to change the perception of minis. Mini's have had much lower sales than ongoing, mostly because they are perceived as being 'not important' and they won't matter to the rest of the titles. I remember when Gambit and rogue got back together in the mini, many of the 'non-fans' said d it wouldn't matter, it was just a mini and the other writers would ignore it. And many of the romy fans were also concerned that would happen, too, because it was 'just a mini.' There have also been ongoings that 'looked' liked minis but were solicited as ongoing, because minis didn't sell. So in the past like few months, there have been a handful of minis we're something 'important ' did happen. Maybe marvel trying to move anyway from random ongoings and make devopments like that in minis instead?

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    That's some bad maths. I'm offended.
    I don't care enough about this silly argument to actually find out what issue she switched to the "mixed" body in and what issue she came back in the Jamie-made Asian body in :P
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    Well that's why Psy's complaining. No one cared for 30 years because it's just comics. Even when they repeated the plot in the Ultimate books no one cared.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTaj View Post
    The subject of cultural appropriation tends to be a bit more complex when it comes to Asian cultures IMO.
    More complex than what exactly.
    That is because we are a minority in the west, yet make up 60% of the total population.
    You re treating a culture As homogenic i dont think theres a universal "we" in a whole race when it comes to something like that.
    There's some really interesting phenomena where Asian Americans may consider something to be cultural appropriation but Asians living in Asia may consider that same thing to be appreciation. where we are not the sole custodians of our culture.
    Appropriation is Appropriation is Appropriation

You know what being mixed is with. You know what YellowFace is right or is that not a thing?

The act of one waking up mixed or even in a full fledged different race is not inappropriate of itself. It's a very interesting concept.

yeah in the same way gender swapping stories is an interesting concept in a form of media like comics thats not gonna explore the deeper side of the story
    Also it seems that this shotty story is being overlooked due to the simple fact that it's PC. Stories suffer when mandates are put upon their creators
    removing a racist aspect of character built on the back of Civil Rights Movement Is PC? WTactualF lol

I've realized that a lot of fanboys are incapable of simply saying "I'm mad that they changed what I personally did not have a problem with" so they argue themselves into nonsensical holes.