Page 20 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast
    Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rutog98 View Post
    The lady is not an insulator. She takes lightning directly into her body. If she were insulated, that would mean lightning would be unable to enter her body. Again, that is not the case. She absorbs lightning into her body all the time. She is immune to lightning and it has nothing to do with insulation.
    hello and thank you beloved..
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Astonishing Member Gambit, King of Thieves's Avatar

oh my god, stop reading so much into a comics writer using comics physics without the entire history of each object in the MU memorized
    Cyclops was SO DAMN RIGHT, BABY
    Pull list: X-23, Mr. & Mrs. X, Extermination, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, Uncanny X-Men
    Have been informed that the Black Swans are "only seeking female members, but thank you very much for your time"

That's what's called PIS. In the way nannites have been shown to operate in canon, they shouldn't be working working on Storm, however, Taylor could have designed the nannites differently to make the concept work. If I were the writer, I would have said the nannites fed off of electrical energy. This would have alleviated the PIS circumstances in this story and would have still allowed Storm to turn off the sentinels in that Hulk-wannabe's head a different way by say taking control of the electrical and magnetic fields in the miniature robots and shutting them down with a thought. She once pulled such a stunt on a space ship where she simply made the energy that powered it go away. She also did something similar to Sinister in a fight where with a mere thought she scrambled the electrical impulses in his brain/nervous system effectively knocking him out instantly.

The reason she would not have done this to the machines in her head while she was under their control would have been because she WAS under their control. To make those fields go away would have required a conscious effort she would not have made while under their influence. So, see? There was a way the writer could have accomplished this without the PIS he wrote had he just thought it through a little better.
    This is just wrong. There have been several different versions of nanites and they all have their own properties. It would be akin to saying if you get a flu shot for one strain of flu virus, it means you should be immune from all strains of flu virus completely ignorant of the fact the flu virus has several strains. This is a previously unknown sentinite so to claim based on previous canon it must be shorted is bullshit. Show me a previous issue that had this specific sentinite? It has sentinel tech which is designed to learn and neutralize mutant abilities.

Taylor is not required to explain a minor plot point to appease overzealous Storm fans. The fact you said he could have designed the sentinites differently to make the concept work is exactly why it is not PIS. PIS stupidity would be if there is no reasonable explanation for something in the storm. By your own admission, there is a reasonable explanation. You are just mad that Taylor didn't waste time explaining it. That is not PIS. That is simply a writer leaving it up to readers to infer.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    This is just wrong. There have been several different versions of nanites and they all have their own properties. It would be akin to saying if you get a flu shot for one strain of flu virus, it means you should be immune from all strains of flu virus completely ignorant of the fact the flu virus has several strains. This is a previously unknown sentinite so to claim based on previous canon it must be shorted is bullshit. Show me a previous issue that had this specific sentinite? It has sentinel tech which is designed to learn and neutralize mutant abilities.

Taylor is not required to explain a minor plot point to appease overzealous Storm fans. The fact you said he could have designed the sentinites differently to make the concept work is exactly why it is not PIS. PIS stupidity would be if there is no reasonable explanation for something in the storm. By your own admission, there is a reasonable explanation. You are just mad that Taylor didn't waste time explaining it. That is not PIS. That is simply a writer leaving it up to readers to infer.
    you're right he doesn't have to explain anything but dont be surprised when storm fans express why the storytelling is flawed based upon her established mythos.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

The lady is not an insulator. If she were insulated, that would mean lightning would be unable to enter her body. Again, that is not the case. She absorbs lightning directly into her body all the time. She is immune to lightning and it has nothing to do with insulation.

I'm done with this now. If you disagree with me, we'll just keep going around in circles if we continue.
    The lady can be both. The human body is made up of many parts. When you make an advanced machine, some of the parts will conduct electricity and some of the parts will insulate. That is how you control the flow of electricity in a machine so that it flows in the manner you want it to.

So if we imagine a human body conducts electricity without being harmed/heated by it then it would mean that human body has to have parts that conduct electricity and parts that insulate against it because otherwise the act of conducting would result in friction, heat, and all sorts of other things. Hence why a machine conducting electricity gets warm or hot.

So the flaw in your logic is treating Storm's body as a single part. It is not. We all agree she conducts electricity. We all agree she is immune to some extent to her powers. She experiences no apparent friction or increase in heat when she conducts electricity. So the only logical conclusions is that parts of her body act as an insulator so that she suffers no ill effects from conducting electricity.

It is no different than using rubber covering on a wire that conducts electricity. The wire is the conductor while the rubber ensures the conduction of electricity is safer.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

The lady can be both. The human body is made up of many parts. When you make an advanced machine, some of the parts will conduct electricity and some of the parts will insulate. That is how you control the flow of electricity in a machine so that it flows in the manner you want it to.

So if we imagine a human body conducts electricity without being harmed/heated by it then it would mean that human body has to have parts that conduct electricity and parts that insulate against it because otherwise the act of conducting would result in friction, heat, and all sorts of other things. Hence why a machine conducting electricity gets warm or hot.

So the flaw in your logic is treating Storm's body as a single part. It is not. We all agree she conducts electricity. We all agree she is immune to some extent to her powers. She experiences no apparent friction or increase in heat when she conducts electricity. So the only logical conclusions is that parts of her body act as an insulator so that she suffers no ill effects from conducting electricity.

It is no different than using rubber covering on a wire that conducts electricity. The wire is the conductor while the rubber ensures the conduction of electricity is safer.
    find one scan that says she is an insulator from the comics.... just one.... I will wait.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    you're right he doesn't have to explain anything but dont be surprised when storm fans express why the storytelling is flawed based upon her established mythos.
    But you haven't don't because this sentinite has never appeared in the established mythos of Storm and you don't know it's properties to claim Storm should have been able to short circuit it. You are just writing your own fan fic in your head and passing it off as established mythos.

find one scan that says she is an insulator from the comics.... just one.... I will wait.
    You can't conduct electricity while experiencing no ill effect unless you are both a conductor and insulator.

https://www.livescience.com/53448-ch...e-devices.html

Technology based on electric eels. A capacitor alternates conductive and insulative parts to control the flow of electricity. So I don't need a scan. Nothing in the comics suggests Storm is not an insulator and the only logical explanation for how she can conduct electricity with no change in heat and no ill effects is if her body is composed of both conductive and insulative parts.
    Last edited by remydat; 08-24-2018 at 12:32 PM.

BANNED

The reason I called Plot Induced Stupidity (PIS) on this is because we just saw that lightning was able to short out these nannites. Given that Storm generates and channels lightning in vast quantities through her body all the time means that the nannites should not have worked on her because of what the writer just wrote in the most recent issue of the series. What we have here is a plothole. That's all Kyss and I are saying. You're disagreeing and going on all of these tangents about "insulation" and "static charges vs. lightning" etc which is all moot because it is long established canon that the lady channels lightning through her body all the time. It's really not all that complicated, and there is no reason for such an argument over this. Again, it's a plot hole. Let's all just acknowledge that and move on.

By the way, us Storm fans would have probably been more lenient on the writer had Storm not been treated like wallpaper throughout the entire run. When she's ignored so much to prop up other characters, it makes instances like this stick out more when they occur.

Anyway, there is no more reason to go on about this, okay? Let's all agree to move on.
    Last edited by rutog98; 08-24-2018 at 12:37 PM.

But you haven't don't because this sentinite has never appeared in the established mythos of Storm and you don't know it's properties to claim Storm should have been able to short circuit it. You are just writing your own fan fic in your head and passing it off as established mythos.
    I answered all your questions and provided scans FROM CANON to support those answers. you just chose to ignore them. I'm still waiting for you to provide one scan to support this incorrect theory she is an insulator.

The reason I called Plot Induced Stupidity (PIS) on this is because we just saw that lightning was able to short out these nannites. Given that Storm generates and channels lightning in vast quantities through her body all the time means that the nannites should not have worked on her because of what the writer just wrote in the most recent issue of the series. What we have here is a plothole. That's all Kyss and I are saying. You're disagreeing and going on all of these tangents about "insulation" and "static charges vs. lightning" etc which is all moot because it is long established canon that the lady channels lightning through her body all the time. It's really not all that complicated at all, and there is no reason for such an argument over this. Again, it's a plot hole. Let's all just acknowledge that and move on.

By the way, us Storm fans would have probably been more lenient on the writer had Storm not been treated like wallpaper throughout the entire run. When she's ignored so much to prop up other characters, it makes instances like this stick out more when they occur.

Anyway, there is no more reason to go on about this, okay? Let's all agree to move on.
    thank you rut!!!! perfectly said.

Fantastic Member

giphy.jpg

Bears repeating.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by magneticmushroom View Post
    giphy.jpg

Bears repeating.
    Agreed. Fictional character=Suspension of belief in many regards. Time to move on.

The reason I called Plot Induced Stupidity (PIS) on this is because we just saw that lightning was able to short out these nannites. Given that Storm generates and channels lightning in vast quantities through her body all the time means that the nannites should not have worked on her because of what the writer just wrote in the most recent issue of the series. What we have here is a plothole. That's all Kyss and I are saying. You're disagreeing and going on all of these tangents about "insulation" and "static charges vs. lightning" etc which is all moot because it is long established canon that the lady channels lightning through her body all the time. It's really not all that complicated at all, and there is no reason for such an argument over this. Again, it's a plot hole. Let's all just acknowledge that and move on.

This is incorrect. While she channels electricity in her body, you have no idea how she regulates that process. She has to regulate that process in some way because she experiences no increased heat and because she is immune. Hence the point that her body is essentially a capacitor ie it has to have both conductive and insulative materials.

I answered all your questions and provided scans FROM CANON to support those answers. you just chose to ignore them. I'm still waiting for you to provide one scan to support this incorrect theory she is an insulator.
    All the scans you provided do not explain the exact physics of how her powers work so you can't claim they answer any of my questions. You cannot channel vasts amounts of energy without causing yourself harm and without any increase in heat without having insulators. If lightning hits her body and does not harm her then it is because her body has insulators because anything that can absorb the effect of electricity without being damage by definition is an insulator.

Show me a scan that says she is not an insulator. Until you can, my theory is the only logical theory to explain how she conducts electricity with no physical harm to herself because this is how it works in the only physics we know and Marvel writers have never presented an alternative brand of physics to explain this.
    Last edited by remydat; 08-24-2018 at 12:42 PM.

BANNED

This is incorrect. While she channels electricity in her body, you have no idea how she regulates that process. She has to regulate that process in some way because she experiences no increased heat and because she is immune. Hence the point that her body is essentially a capacitor ie it has to have both conductive and insulative materials.

All the scans you provided do not explain the exact physics of how her powers work so you can't claim they answer any of my questions. You cannot channel vasts amounts of energy without causing yourself hamr and without any increase in heat without having insulators.

Show me a scan that says she is not an insulator. Until you can, my theory is the only logical theory to explain how she conducts electricity with no physical harm to herself because this is how it works in the only physics we know.
    Hey, I'm done with this discussion. I've moved on.

Hey, I'm done with this discussion. I've moved on.
    Ok then move on. Perhaps if you wish to discuss how electricity works in the future, study up on the subject.