Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    Ok then move on. Perhaps if you wish to discuss how electricity works in the future, study up on the subject.
    I could respond to this with an insult, but I won't stoop to your level. Instead, I won't acknoweldge anymore of your posts on this particular topic. Bye!

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Ok then move on. Perhaps if you wish to discuss how electricity works in the future, study up on the subject.
    you are not the subject matter expert on this discussion my friend. a power plant source contradicted one of the points you was making. perhaps you should do what you are recommending others do yourself.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rutog98 View Post
    I could respond to this with an insult, but I won't stoop to your level. Instead, I won't acknoweldge anymore of your posts on this particular topic. Bye!
    exactly. I don't know why people cant have a simple exchange without introducing personal insults. I dont get it
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

This is incorrect. While she channels electricity in her body, you have no idea how she regulates that process. She has to regulate that process in some way because she experiences no increased heat and because she is immune. Hence the point that her body is essentially a capacitor ie it has to have both conductive and insulative materials.

All the scans you provided do not explain the exact physics of how her powers work so you can't claim they answer any of my questions. You cannot channel vasts amounts of energy without causing yourself harm and without any increase in heat without having insulators. If lightning hits her body and does not harm her then it is because her body has insulators because anything that can absorb the effect of electricity without being damage by definition is an insulator.

Show me a scan that says she is not an insulator. Until you can, my theory is the only logical theory to explain how she conducts electricity with no physical harm to herself because this is how it works in the only physics we know and Marvel writers have never presented an alternative brand of physics to explain this.
    edit:

explain this. how does physics explain Jean grey being able to hold the tower that collapsed in the issue with her mind? or create a telekinetic bubble to protect herself and gentle and storm from being crushed by the pressure under the ocean? or the physics behind how jean and nehzno were able to breathe under water while doing the things with their powers to protect Atlantis?

storm can channel vast amounts of energy through her being because that is what her mutant abilities allow. it doesn't have to make sense from a physics perspective as this is a comicbook.
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 08-24-2018 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rutog98 View Post
    That was not an insult. It is clear you don't understand how electricity works if you are confused by the fact something can be a conductor and an insulator as that is how a lot of machines work. How is it an insult to say you don't understand something when you clearly don't?

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    you are not the subject matter expert on this discussion my friend. a power plant source contradicted one of the points you was making. perhaps you should do what you are recommending others do yourself.
    No they didn't. The plant simply didn't distinguish between a charge and discharge. It is settled science that lightning is a discharge as the wiki notes.

Lightning is an electrical discharge caused by imbalances between storm clouds and the ground, or within the clouds themselves. Most lightning occurs within the clouds.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/e...ers/lightning/

“When two objects are rubbed together to create static electricity, one object gives up electrons and becomes more positively charged while the other material collects electrons and becomes more negatively charged.”

https://www.livescience.com/51656-st...ectricity.html

I am not insulting you guys. You clearly don't understanding that static electricity is the the charge and lightning is the discharge and everytime people explain it to you guys, you ignore it. That electric company thing is not a scientific explanation so you relying on it is odd.

So yes please go read up on it as you don't understand. All you did was find one example of that fit your narrative without any understanding of what they are talking about. You can go to any number of sources and static electricity is the charge and lightning is the discharge. Two different things that people just treat as one sometimes because as this conversation proves, trying to explain it to the average person is just time consuming.
    Last edited by remydat; 08-24-2018 at 01:10 PM.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

That was not an insult. It is clear you don't understand how electricity works if you are confused by the fact something can be a conductor and an insulator as that is how the vast majority of machines work. How is it an insult to say you don't understand something when you clearly don't?

No they didn't. The plant simply didn't distinguish between a charge and discharge. It is settled science that lightning is a discharge as the wiki notes.

Lightning is an electrical discharge caused by imbalances between storm clouds and the ground, or within the clouds themselves. Most lightning occurs within the clouds.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/e...ers/lightning/

“When two objects are rubbed together to create static electricity, one object gives up electrons and becomes more positively charged while the other material collects electrons and becomes more negatively charged.”

https://www.livescience.com/51656-st...ectricity.html

I am not insulting you guys. You clearly don't understanding that static electricity is the the charge and lightning is the discharge and everytime people explain it to you guys, you ignore it. That electric company thing is not a scientific explanation so you relying on it is odd.

So yes please go read up on it as you don't understand. All you did was find one example of that fit your narrative without any understanding of what they are talking about. You can go to any number of sources and static electricity is the charge and lightning is the discharge. Two different things that people just treat as one sometimes because as this conversation proves, trying to explain it to the average person is just time consuming.
    unless you have a BS or Masters or PhD in electrical mechanics i will continue to see the power plant's explanation as valid stating static electricity is a form of lightning. also, i'm still waiting for that scan that says ororo is an insulator and now i am also waiting for the response on the physics behind how jean's power (as well as trinary) worked in this issue. Please. I will wait.

edit:

explain this. how does physics explain Jean grey being able to hold the tower that collapsed in the issue with her mind? or create a telekinetic bubble to protect herself and gentle and storm from being crushed by the pressure under the ocean? or the physics behind how jean and nehzno were able to breathe under water while doing the things with their powers to protect Atlantis?

storm can channel vast amounts of energy through her being because that is what her mutant abilities allow. it doesn't have to make sense from a physics perspective as this is a comicbook.
    Electricity and animals that can channel electricity exist in real life so it is obvious when a human like Taylor goes to write a story about it, it is somewhat grounded in our physics. Unless you can prove it isn't which you can't do as nothing I said is contradicted by the comics as the comics don't go into this level of detail. So again you trying to claim the canon is inconsistent is simply incorrect. You can argue there are possibilities you prefer or that you think would make more sense but you can't claim it doesn't make sense at all since it is not directly contradicted by the canon or our current understanding of electricity.

Telepaths and Telekinectics do not exist in reality as far as we know so it is an apples vs oranges discussion.

i'm still waiting for that scan that says ororo is an insulator and now i am also waiting for the response on the physics behind how jean's power (as well as trinary) worked in this issue. Please. I will wait.
    I'm still waiting for that scan that says ororo is NOT an insulator.

Until you can produce that, you can't prove I am wrong. All we can say, is my theory makes more sense based on physics than yours. Further the scans already posted that say she doesn't experience air friction or is immune to changes in temperature mean that she is insulated against those things. It is like you don't understand insulate and immune are similar in terms of what they are conveying.
    Last edited by remydat; 08-24-2018 at 01:12 PM.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Electricity and animals that can channel electricity exist in real life so it is obvious when a human like Taylor goes to write a story about it, it is somewhat grounded in our physics. Unless you can prove it isn't which you can't do as nothing I said is contradicted by the comics as the comics don't go into this level of detail. So again you trying to claim the canon is inconsistent is simply incorrect. You can argue there are possibilities you prefer or that you think would make more sense but you can't claim it doesn't make sense at all since it is not directly contradicted by the canon or our current understanding of electricity.

Telepaths and Telekinectics do not exist in reality as far as we know so it is an apples vs oranges discussion.

I'm still waiting for that scan that says ororo is NOT an insulator.

Until you can produce that, you can't prove I am wrong. All we can say, is my theory makes more sense based on physics than yours.
    Ok. of course. i didn't think you would be able to discuss the physics behind Jean's abilities nor find anything stating Storm is an insulator. thanks it's been fun.

Ok. of course. i didn't think you would be able to discuss the physics behind Jean's abilities nor find anything stating Storm is an insulator. thanks it's been fun.
    Your welcome. Let me know when you find that scan that proves Storm is NOT an insulator.

Your welcome. Let me know when you find that scan that proves Storm is NOT an insulator.
    You don't have to worry about waiting for me to do that. Even if I did you would just say it doesn't align to physics, which you just demonstrated jean's powers don't either (but i don't hear you making any arguments about how her powers shouldn't function as it does because it doesn't align to physics). (^_^)

the difference between you and I is that I don't expect comic books to align to physics.

You don't have to worry about waiting for me to do that. Even if I did you would just say it doesn't align to physics, which you just demonstrated jean's powers don't either (but i don't hear you making any arguments about how her powers shouldn't function as it does because it doesn't align to physics). (^_^)

the difference between you and I is that I don't expect comic books to align to physics.
    No I am fully aware that comics aren't intended to perfectly align to physics. I only brought physics up because you claimed something doesn't make sense.

When I read comics, I suspend disbelief. You seem to only suspend disbelief when it makes Storm look good which is why I introduced the fact that there is nothing inconsistent with physics or the canon regarding her powers.

It is perfectly acceptable that a sentinite which she has never encountered before could be implanted in her while she was sleeping. It is also perfectly acceptable that once made aware of the sentinite she could attack it in TA. There is nothing in the canon or the comics that make this impossible so you are just being butt hurt over nothing. Her static field has never been shown as 100% effective.

No I am fully aware that comics aren't intended to perfectly align to physics. I only brought physics up because you claimed something doesn't make sense.

When I read comics, I suspend disbelief. You seem to only suspend disbelief when it makes Storm look good which is why I introduced the fact that there is nothing inconsistent with physics or the canon regarding her powers.

It is perfectly acceptable that a sentinite which she has never encountered before could be implanted in her while she was sleeping. It is also perfectly acceptable that once made aware of the sentinite she could attack it in TA. There is nothing in the canon or the comics that make this impossible so you are just being butt hurt over nothing. Her static field has never been shown as 100% effective.
    I stated it was a gap in the plot which it 100% is. you interjected stuff that doesn't align to anything EVER stated in canon. which is why you cant produce any scans from canon to support your statements

all of that is your opinion. not mine.

I stated it was a gap in the plot which it 100% is. you interjected stuff that doesn't align to anything EVER stated in canon. which is why you cant produce any scans from canon to support your statements

all of that is your opinion. not mine.
    You also said it didn't make sense which is the part I challenged. None of the scans you provided have sufficient detail to prove that claim. All you are doing is taking scans and trying to equate them to this situation.

Case in point. Scans that show her blocking a telepath don't prove she can short circuit a sentinite whose properties you know nothing about. Nor do those scans say the energy in her static field is just as strong as her lightening. Those are things you infer from the scans but that is never stated.

So I did the same with the scans that talk about her channeling electricity with no harm to herself and her not experiencing an increase in temperature. That to me shows someone that is insulated against the effect of her conducting electricity.

When you produce scans that say clearly her static field is as strong as her lightning I will produce scans that say she is an insulator. Until then we are both free to interpret the scans in our own way. The only difference is I am using physics and you just using your head canon.
    Last edited by remydat; 08-24-2018 at 03:25 PM.

You also said it didn't make sense which is the part I challenged. None of the scans you provided have sufficient detail to prove that claim. All you are doing is taking scans and trying to equate them to this situation.

Case in point. Scans that show her blocking a telepath don't prove she can short circuit a sentinite whose properties you know nothing about. Nor do those scans say the energy in her static field is just as strong as her lightening. Those are things you infer from the scans but that is never stated.

So I did the same with the scans that talk about her channeling electricity with no harm to herself and her not experiencing an increase in temperature. That to me shows someone that is insulated against the effect of her conducting electricity.

When you produce scans that say clearly her static field is as strong as her lightning I will produce scans that say she is an insulator. Until then we are both free to interpret the scans in our own way. The only difference is I am using physics and you just using your head canon.
    this is seriously the last i will say about lightning, physics, or anything related to a sentinite:

1. the claim I made, which is a simple one, is if static electricity can block telepaths and her static electricity can too the amperage would be equivalent. additionally when you consider she is immune from lightning, the amperage of the static electricity would need to be that of the most powerful lightning. anything less would result in her being hurt and she would not be immune. all of this is taken from canon. if you disagree take it up with marvel.

2. We disagree on point two as we disagree upon what static electricity is. An electrical power plant stated static electricity and lightning are the same. My conclusion that her static electricity would do the same to the nanite that her lightning did is based upon this fact. If you don't agree that's fine but it's not head canon. I've provided supportive evidence from canon and from a real source to back my point.

3. I dont recall you providing one scan to make your case. Just wiki.

4. I've already proven my case with scans with the lightning or her static preventing Rachel, Xavier and Jean from entering her mind, which makes sense seeing as though lightning is a form of static electricity.

That said I'm done I cant with this back and forth. its serves no purpose. if you would like to discuss further please message me or take it to her appreciation thread. Matter of fact please take her being an insulator theory there. I would love to see what fans would say to that.

It is head canon because nothing you just said is explicitly stated in the comics. Nothing in the comics says her static field is as powerful as her lightning. That is your opinion based on your reading scans that don't actually say that. That is your right but you can't claim it is inconsistent with canon when the canon doesn't actually say that. Your interpretation is not canon.

I didn't have to provide a scan because it was already in the scans provided. The scan already said her body is immune to temperature changes and channels energy without being hurt. So that describes something that is an insulator in addition to being a conductor.
    Last edited by remydat; 08-24-2018 at 04:40 PM.