Page 19 of 32 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

4ce.jpg

For real tho

Butterfly,

Just a few points and then I am really done as at this stage I am just trying to get you to understand physics.

Lightning can't be static electricity because it moves. Static electricity is the charge. Lightning is the discharge. Static electricity is stationary hence the term static while Lightning is current ie it flows hence why you see the flash. You are confusing cause and effect ie the charge and the discharge. It is just easier for the electric company to in layman terms refer to it as all static electricity as they don't need to get into the minutia with customers but any scientific discussion of the topic distinguishes between the charge and the discharge.

A static electric charge can be created whenever two surfaces contact and separate, and at least one of the surfaces has a high resistance to electric current (and is therefore an electrical insulator).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Static_electricity

If Storm is creating static electricity within her then she has to have elements of an electrical insulator because that is what causes the static electricity to be created. This is my frustration with you. You simply don't know enough about how electricity works and are going off of layman's descriptions in the comics oblivious to the fact that the comics are not going to get into this kind of minutia. It is just explaining things in terms that a kid can digest. If her mutant ability allows her to create static electricity then it means an element of her body has to be an electrical insulator.

There is no equivalence in power. Lightning can both block a signal as well as destroy hardware ie physical objects. The static field of Storm just does the former. So you are again confusing things. Her lightning has clearly been shown blocking telepaths as well as causing them physical harm. This static field of hers just blocks signals. The energy levels are different.

It doesn't matter where the embryo was implanted. The point is Storm didn't destroy it. Without knowing the charge of the nanite there is no reason to assume it would be shorted. In very simple terms, there is only a 33% chance of being shorted as 2 out of 3 options (same charge or neutral) would result in no conflict with her static field. The only option that results in conflict is different charge and there is no reason to believe the charge is different. So you are hanging your hat on something that only has a 33% chance of being true (the math is actually more complicated but we can't do it because again the comics don't provide enough info).

So your entire premise rests on a faulty understanding of how things work. If a comic only explains things in layman's terms which is clearly the case here, it is perfectly reasonable to assume the unexplained operates within the realm of physics we understand. Instead you are just blindly making up your own physics to fill the gaps in the comics which would only be acceptable if you were the writer. You are not. If you want your bad science to be true then you need to get a job at marvel writing Storm.
    Last edited by remydat; 08-24-2018 at 11:00 AM.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    Butterfly,

Just a few points and then I am really done as at this stage I am just trying to get you to understand physics.

Lightning can't be static electricity because it moves. Static electricity is the charge. Lightning is the discharge. Static electricity is stationary hence the term static while Lightning is current ie it flows hence why you see the flash. You are confusing cause and effect ie the charge and the discharge. It is just easier for the electric company to in layman terms refer to it as all static electricity as they don't need to get into the minutia with customers but any scientific discussion of the topic distinguishes between the charge and the discharge.

A static electric charge can be created whenever two surfaces contact and separate, and at least one of the surfaces has a high resistance to electric current (and is therefore an electrical insulator).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Static_electricity

If Storm is creating static electricity within her then she has to have elements of an electrical insulator because that is what causes the static electricity to be created. This is my frustration with you. You simply don't know enough about how electricity works and are going off of layman's descriptions in the comics oblivious to the fact that the comics are not going to get into this kind of minutia. It is just explaining things in terms that a kid can digest. If her mutant ability allows her to create static electricity then it means an element of her body has to be an electrical insulator.

There is no equivalence in power. Lightning can both block a signal as well as destroy hardware ie physical objects. The static field of Storm just does the former. So you are again confusing things. Her lightning has clearly been shown blocking telepaths as well as causing them physical harm. This static field of hers just blocks signals. The energy levels are different.

It doesn't matter where the embryo was implanted. The point is Storm didn't destroy it. Without knowing the charge of the nanite there is no reason to assume it would be shorted. In very simple terms, there is only a 33% chance of being shorted as 2 out of 3 options (same charge or neutral) would result in no conflict with her static field. The only option that results in conflict is different charge and there is no reason to believe the charge is different. So you are hanging your hat on something that only has a 33% chance of being true (the math is actually more complicated but we can't do it because again the comics don't provide enough info).

So your entire premise rests on a faulty understanding of how things work. If a comic only explains things in layman's terms which is clearly the case here, it is perfectly reasonable to assume the unexplained operates within the realm of physics we understand. Instead you are just blindly making up your own physics to fill the gaps in the comics which would only be acceptable if you were the writer. You are not. If you want your bad science to be true then you need to get a job at marvel writing Storm.
    ok beloved. we can agree to disagree nothing you posted has shifted my thoughts on the matter and it serves no purpose to repost things from canon and subject related material that clearly debunk all you've said as you will just keep pointing back to physics and wikipedia. all in all, the key takeaway from this exchange for me is quite simple: a comicbook isnt physics and you shouldnt use physics to make a point about the mechanics behind the storytelling within a comic. especially when you cant find one thing from canon to support your statements.

side note: I like how you didnt find that scan stating storm was insulator. I will wait...
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 08-24-2018 at 11:13 AM.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    ok beloved. we can agree to disagree nothing you posted has shifted my thoughts on the matter and it serves no purpose to repost things from canon and subject related material that clearly debunk all you've said as you will just keep pointing back to physics and wikipedia. all in all, the key takeaway from this exchange for me is quite simple: a comicbook isnt physics and you shouldnt use physics to make a point about the mechanics behind the storytelling within a comic. especially when you cant find one thing from canon to support your statements.

side note: I like how you didnt find that scan stating storm was insulator. I will wait...
    SMH

In the absence of the comic stating otherwise, the logical assumption is that Storm creating static electricity is because she is an electrical insulator. This makes sense since she also has some form of immunity. You are trying to fill in gaps with your headcanon and I am trying to fill in gaps with actual physics.

One thing we can agree on is a comic book isn't physics which is why I was confused why you were trying to claim something didn't make sense when you don't know the exact physics of the 616 MU. You don't know the exact physics of 616 MU because the comics have never tried to explain it.

So frankly if you want to say it is comics then the comics dictate what is possible and what isn't. Taylor wrote the nanite penetrating her brain without being shorted and Taylor wrote a lightning strike shorting the nanite. Since we don't know 616 MU physics, you can't claim it doesn't make sense. Taylor determines canon not you. They make sense because Taylor wrote them happening.

Basically you are just stanning for Storm. When you don't like the canon, you want to ignore it but then when the canon suits your argument you want to pretend that only the instances of canon you like are gospel and all other instances of canon should be ignored. That is just absurd.
    Last edited by remydat; 08-24-2018 at 11:34 AM.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

...and I have a new addition to my ignore list. (I don't know why it took me this long).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    ...and I have a new addition to my ignore list. (I don't know why it took me this long).
    Mine grows like a vine...a mothervine

Makes a thread easier to read honestly.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

That it does...

SMH

In the absence of the comic stating otherwise, the logical assumption is that Storm creating static electricity is because she is an electrical insulator. This makes sense since she also has some form of immunity. You are trying to fill in gaps with your headcanon and I am trying to fill in gaps with actual physics.

One thing we can agree on is a comic book isn't physics which is why I was confused why you were trying to claim something didn't make sense when you don't know the exact physics of the 616 MU. You don't know the exact physics of 616 MU because the comics have never tried to explain it.

So frankly if you want to say it is comics then the comics dictate what is possible and what isn't. Taylor wrote the nanite penetrating her brain without being shorted and Taylor wrote a lightning strike shorting the nanite. Since we don't know 616 MU physics, you can't claim it doesn't make sense. Taylor determines canon not you. They make sense because Taylor wrote them happening.

Basically you are just stanning for Storm. When you don't like the canon, you want to ignore it but then when the canon suits your argument you want to pretend that only the instances of canon you like are gospel and all other instances of canon should be ignored. That is just absurd.
    boo I thought you said you was done lolol. if a story is consistent with canon I most definitely would support it. issue 7 is further continuation of not being consistent so of course I cant stan for it.

and you are right Taylor does establish canon which is inconsistent with stuff told before him. thank the goddess he wont be writing uncanny.
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 08-24-2018 at 11:40 AM.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Astonishing Member Gambit, King of Thieves's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post
    Mine grows like a vine...a mothervine

Makes a thread easier to read honestly.
    ayyyyyyyyyy
    Cyclops was SO DAMN RIGHT, BABY
    Pull list: X-23, Mr. & Mrs. X, Extermination, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, Uncanny X-Men
    Have been informed that the Black Swans are "only seeking female members, but thank you very much for your time"

BANNED

3. I am basing it on physics. Static electricity does no cause electrical immunity. This is absurd scientifically. The only way for something to not be affected by electricity is if it is an insulator. That is why for example rubber is used when dealing with electricity because it is a natural insulator and thus does not carry electricity well. So for Storm to be immune would mean her body is a natural insulator. However no insulator is 100% perfect hence why Storm tried to electrocute herself earlier in the series. You run enough electricity through an insulator and it can then carry electricity. So her body creates electricity but it also has properties of an electrical insulator. Those are two completely different processes and do no relate to each other. The most likely explanation is that her body naturally regulates these two separate processes so that she isn't harmed by her own ability to create static electricity unless she overloads herself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insulator_(electricity)
    There are far too many problems with your argument. First off, in Storm's very first appearance, she absorbed the full electrical power in a stormcell into her body and focused it through her body into a single bolt of lightning. She has also channeled continent-sized blizzards through her body, ridden on a bolt of lightning, channeled the energy of millions of stars combined, etc. It has nothing to do with insulation as the lady is just flat out immune to lightning. Heck, even her skin is impervious to air friction. The lady's body is not like yours and mine.

Okay, I'm out.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    boo I thought you said you was done lolol. if a story is consistent with canon I most definitely would support it. issue 7 is further continuation of not being consistent so of course I cant stan for it.

and you are right Taylor does establish canon which is inconsistent with stuff told before him. thank the goddess he wont be writing uncanny.
    No it isn't because there aren't sufficient details in the previous canon to explain how the 616 MU physics works. There is nothing in the previous canon that has ever shown Storm shorting out nanites implanted in her head. We simply don't know enough about the charges and discharges going on in her head as well as the properties of the nanite for you to claim it should have been shorted. All you are doing is making up **** in your head to claim it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by rutog98 View Post
    There are far too many problems with your argument. First off, in Storm's very first appearance, she absorbed the full electrical power in a stormcell into her body and focused it through her body into a single bolt of lightning. She has also channeled continent-sized blizzards through her body, ridden on a bolt of lightning, channeled the energy of millions of stars combined, etc. It has nothing to do with insulation as the lady is just flat out immune to lightning. Heck, even her skin is impervious to air friction. The lady's body is not like yours and mine.

Okay, I'm out.
    Being impervious to air friction would mean your body is insulated. Again you guys say things and don't understand what they mean. Read the below and tell me what it means to you? If Storm is channeling energy without being damaged then how is that in conflict with the below? I don't think you guys understand that immunity for her powers is the same as saying insulated from her powers. You are saying she has immunity but then saying she isn't insulated as if the words mean different things, lol.

Last edited by remydat; 08-24-2018 at 12:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rutog98 View Post

Okay, I'm out.
    exactly. but it's no point trying to explain this. I've presented evidence from canon and from real world subject related evidence and he just ignores what doesnt align with his opinion.

BANNED

No it isn't because there aren't sufficient details in the previous canon to explain how the 616 MU physics works. There is nothing in the previous canon that has ever shown Storm shorting out nanites implanted in her head.
    That's what's called PIS. In the way nannites have been shown to operate in canon, they shouldn't be working working on Storm, however, Taylor could have designed the nannites differently to make the concept work. If I were the writer, I would have said the nannites fed off of electrical energy. This would have alleviated the PIS circumstances in this story and would have still allowed Storm to turn off the sentinels in that Hulk-wannabe's head a different way by say taking control of the electrical and magnetic fields in the miniature robots and shutting them down with a thought. She once pulled such a stunt on a space ship where she simply made the energy that powered it go away. She also did something similar to Sinister in a fight where with a mere thought she scrambled the electrical impulses in his brain/nervous system effectively knocking him out instantly.

The reason she would not have done this to the machines in her head while she was under their control would have been because she WAS under their control. To make those fields go away would have required a conscious effort she would not have made while under their influence. So, see? There was a way the writer could have accomplished this without the PIS he wrote had he just thought it through a little better.

Quote Originally Posted by magneticmushroom View Post
    4ce.jpg

For real tho
    seriously... it's like how many pages discussing static electricity -_-

BANNED

No it isn't because there aren't sufficient details in the previous canon to explain how the 616 MU physics works. There is nothing in the previous canon that has ever shown Storm shorting out nanites implanted in her head.

Being impervious to air friction would mean your body is insulated. Again you guys say things and don't understand what they mean. Read the below and tell me what it means to you? If Strom is channeling energy without being damaged then how is that in conflict with the below?

The lady is not an insulator. If she were insulated, that would mean lightning would be unable to enter her body. Again, that is not the case. She absorbs lightning directly into her body all the time. She is immune to lightning and it has nothing to do with insulation.
    Last edited by rutog98; 08-24-2018 at 12:37 PM.