Default The Mechanic: A Graphic Poem (Kickstarter)

Hello, everyone!

As you can tell from the paltry amount of posts I have (this is, in fact, my first), I'm brand new to this community; and I want to start by apologizing if I have committed some error or faux pas in posting here. If there is a better place to put this, please let me know--I want to do this right, and I don't want to be a bother.

That said, I wanted to share with you all a one-shot slice of life comic that I and a co-worker of mine created. It's a story about depression, routine, and the legacy one leaves behind after death. It follows a brief moment in the life of an auto mechanic as he tries, in his own way, to leave some impact on the world. In the moment we meet him, he is beginning to feel less like a human and more like one of the machines on which he works. The piece was originally a five-part poem, but it has since been transformed into a nineteen-page comic.

1957_001.jpg

If you are interested in this, or if you are interested in seeing our process in translating the poem into the comics genre, please feel free to check out our Kickstarter. There, I'm in the midst of posting a series of updates (available for free, without being a backer) discussing how we created the comic. You can find the link to this behind-the-scenes discussion, and to the Kickstarter in general,here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/2267661

Thank you, anyone and everyone, for your time and consideration. I really appreciate this scene and this medium when it comes to story-telling, so (again) let me apologize if I've created an offense in posting this here as my first contribution to the community.

Best regards,

Ian

Quick update for The Mechanic! We've been dubbed a "Project We Love" on Kickstarter, and right now we're sitting at a cool 28% funding and still have 20 days to go. If everything goes according to plan, we may even have some press in the works (though nothing I can talk about yet).

Anyway, I wanted to thank everyone in this community for the warm welcome. Sometimes I've been on message boards where there's a kind of aversion to talking to someone new--like when someone sits at a new lunch table in school (pardon the simile; I teach 7th grade). But getting involved in a couple of the other threads here, it's felt good interact. So, yeah, thanks for that.

As a result, I'd like to share a couple more pages of the comic with you. The above post has the first two pages, but below are pages two and three, as well as the cover.

1957_002.jpg

1957_003.jpg

1918_0814144425898_0001.jpg

Enjoy!

Described as "a very different and engaging story" by the Indie Comics Showcase on twitter and Bleedingfool.com and "something truly unique" by Cassie-la of Bibliomantics.com, The Mechanic is now in its last five days of funding on Kickstarter. Digital copies of the book are available for as little as $2. Will you be the donor that takes us to the next milestone in our journey?

Here is a brief synopsis of the project:

The Mechanic follows a moment in the life of an auto technician as he tries to leave a lasting impact on the world. When we meet him, he is beginning to feel less like a human and more like one of the machines on which he works. Ultimately, The Mechanic is a story about depression, routine, and the legacy one leaves behind.

Check us out here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-graphic-poem#