Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    i said in the BP thread but

this book has no heart. It is really really really missing an "it" factor.

It's just there.

It isn't bad enough to hate and isn't good enough to like. The stakes should have been huge and were huge but never felt huge. Everythign moved too fast, too chaotic. It was narrated to be an epic event but never felt epic. Felt no different than fighting AIM goons or something.
    I'll give it some time to develop, but that's my concern. Basically, this is a book propelled forward by action. The dialogue, character interactions, mysteries and revelations all happen while fighting. Because of that, this was very much a talk and punch issue, which I'm not a fan of. That being said, there were some cool visual moments.

Probably the biggest thing that bothered me is that the dialogue talked about all these cool things happening in the world while just showing this fight. Comics is a visual medium and it felt like there was a disconnect.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Nice art.

And that's it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Probably the biggest thing that bothered me is that the dialogue talked about all these cool things happening in the world while just showing this fight. Comics is a visual medium and it felt like there was a disconnect.
    I liked the narration in this issue that elaborated on the different corners of the MU.

One, it seemed like a deliberate callback to the old school purple prose of the Silver and Bronze Age.

The descriptive captions in this issue would have been right at home in a '60s or '70s comic so I found them to be pleasingly nostalgic, much in the way I also liked it when Aaron started using thought balloons during his Jane Foster run of Thor.

Two, the narration brought back an element from Aaron's legacy issue - the Starbrand - reminding us that it's still out there looking for a vessel. I expect that this is a heads-up towards its renewed importance coming up.

Also, the repeated references to Khonshu seems like a harbinger of Moon Knight entering this title at some point, something I'd very much welcome.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I meant to mention Starbrand. I noticed that too.

I'm pro-thought balloon, but I didn't like this dialogue. It wasn't even show and tell, it was exposition while they fight.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Astonishing Member

I was already guessing that Avengers by Aaron would be a comic book that i would be missing out great stories untill i read them in the TPB.
    Now after Reading the spoilers of this issue concerning the Celestials,just make me wish i had been getting this comic book in Single Issues.
    I liked how the origin of Marvel Super Heroes was related to this story arc from what i read in spoilers.

BANNED

If not for the art, this book would be completely awful. It's just bad.

Astonishing Member

I cannot stand the idea proposed here of the celestials affect on humans development

Please correct me if I'm wrong, is it suggested that the death of the celestial shunted our generic evolution from prehistory humans into what we are now and that this also lead to the development of super beings?

Coz if that's so I find that a rather pathetic origin story

Am I wrong in this understanding?

Still think he write Thor like a fool, much too much like Hercules of old, this She-Hulk is terrible imo, it's so much like the old banner hulk and it's just very uninteresting to me and so disapointing considering how fun jen can be

Could not care less about carol and don't think strange works in the team format but I think he's temporary?

Robbie is great

Find the art far too cartoony and lacking detail, lacks a sense of scale to me, didn't like eds work on hulk and it still isn't to my liking

Haven't been impressed really, but I haven't been impressed with his current thor book either, I find most of his characterisation very off

In all honesty I am just not a fan of Aaron's work (though his jane foster story was very good for that character), and I am really trying to give this a go, but the price bump for next issue I heard about (I think) and the 1000000bc group will likely mean I drop this book for the first time since I started reading marvel

I just cant abide what he does to the mythos he works with, which I appreciate is just my personal perspective

I never imagined this line up would dissapoint me this much
    Last edited by kilderkin; 08-22-2018 at 07:55 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    I cannot stand the idea proposed here of the celestials affect on humans development

Please correct me if I'm wrong, is it suggested that the death of the celestial shunted our generic evolution from prehistory humans into what we are now and that this also lead to the development of super beings?

Coz if that's so I find that a rather pathetic origin story

Am I wrong in this understanding?
    It's stated that, rather than human evolution being purposely manipulated by the Celestials as part of some cosmic experiment, that instead it was influenced completely by accident by the death of an infected celestial.

When this being went into its death throes, the violently ill celestial regurgitated into the still-forming elements of Earth and its body then settled into the Earth and decayed into its primal mix of elements, causing the emerging mankind to develop as being uniquely suited to having meta-human traits.

Basically, that the emergence of life on Earth wasn't part of some grand design but instead was an accident.

The point would be that it is "pathetic" rather than being the result of some higher being's plan.

But as Steve asserts, when the true beginning of life on Earth is revealed by a mocking Loki, it doesn't matter how life evolved, only what we choose to do with it.
    Last edited by Prof. Warren; 08-22-2018 at 08:25 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    It's stated that, rather than human evolution being purposely manipulated by the Celestials as part of some cosmic experiment, that instead it was influenced completely by accident by the death of an infected celestial.

When this being went into its death throes, the violently ill celestial regurgitated into the still-forming elements of Earth and its body then settled into the Earth and decayed into its primal mix of elements, causing the emerging mankind to develop as being uniquely suited to having meta-human traits.

Basically, that the emergence of life on Earth wasn't part of some grand design but instead was an accident.

The point would be that it is "pathetic" rather than being the result of some higher being's plan.

But as Steve asserts, when the true beginning of life on Earth is revealed by a mocking Loki, it doesn't matter how life evolved, only what we choose to do with it.

Okay thanks for that, so I did get it right in my head

Just a biological accident without any higher power deliberately behind it

Makes me think of a similar agenda I discussed over in the thor forum

Cap's point aside, I hate this idea and to me it does not scan with so much prior mythos

It strikes me that much of Aaron's work I've seen is about disregarding a divine or higher powers involvement in humanity, or as you say it's just an accident, his work on thor had so much about the gods being unworthy it was imo tedious, gotta say I hate that this keeps coming up in his work imo

I appreciate your summary, thanks again
    Last edited by kilderkin; 08-22-2018 at 08:56 PM.

All-New Member

I mildly dislike this book. I like the last two issues more than the first four, so I feel its improving

I'm going to give it the first couple of issues with a new artist to see if it improves, but I agree with what another poster said: this is the worst opening arc in an Avengers run I've ever read

The problem is that everything is way too big. The threat is so massive that it clearly doesn't matter, it either has to be resolved, or the MU is fucked. And these massive "world is ending" scenarios are extremely uninteresting to me. Its too big and I don't care

Maybe Aaron is just trying to make Avengers into a dumb action book only. Which I guess is fine. There are plenty of other comics out there

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    How is Aaron consistently killing it on Thor yet this exists?
    Speaking of Thor, what hammer has he been using throughout this storyline? It sure looks like Mjolnir, but I thought he wasn't going to get a reconstructed Mjolnir back any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post

The ‘by accident’ idea was actually more nuanced. The first celestial at the pole kicked off life on Earth, and there is a suggestion that he chose a planet because he was trying to get the planet to neutralise the disease. That is a twist on the origin myths that feature god bringing forth life from his body, creating a kind of dualism.

So effectively we have a god that symbolises life and creation infected by a disease that symbolises death. Vomiting onto a planet creates a battle between these forces that both created and pervaded the entire ecosystem where eventually a grand battle between The Horde representing death and superheroes representing life decides the fate of the planet.

To put it another way, yet again a reframing of creation in the language of scientific skepticism ends up sounding remarkably like a religious creation myth. This one with a distinctly Zoroastrian flavour.

My biggest wish about marvel comics is for this to be relaunched with a different writer and characters.

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    Speaking of Thor, what hammer has he been using throughout this storyline? It sure looks like Mjolnir, but I thought he wasn't going to get a reconstructed Mjolnir back any time soon.
    This will remain ambiguous until we know exactly where this fits into the story. It seems to come after the current Thor arc, and the hammer is occasionally coloured golden here. It is not depicted in the same shape as the golden one in Thor, but there are numerous hammers there.

Put it this way, it would seem highly unlikely this is Mjölnir. I still assert Mjölnir can't be reconstituted and that the only way it will return is by time travel from the future.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 08-23-2018 at 12:40 AM.

Ultimate Member

I can see what Aaron is going for but this issue was a little cluttered.

The fight scenes were hampered by the exposition. The art is a little cartoony too.

And the dialogue is just straight up...weird.