Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    By recent events,im assuming the pregnancy and the impending marriage? I personally think it's a great "in" and a hook for a new Superman series. I mean, it gives us a new angle for TV Superman. We already had Superman in training ( Smallville), straight up Superman classic ( 50s show) and an exploration of the Lois and Clark relationship ( Lois and Clark) and Supergirl is basically doing the straight forward Superhero thing. So a veteran Superman with a new wife and status quo and perhaps even a new Earth to defend (depending on how they manage a post TV crisis merge of the Earth's) may make for something compelling. But to each their own.
    It's definitely a better in than replicating what Supergirl is currently doing. We've already seen all those other versions of the character over the years and in the current climate, the show has to distinguish itself from Kara's show and I get that this will not be for everyone but then again, it doesn't even need to be an "ongoing" so to speak. A limited series won't hurt.

By recent events,im assuming the pregnancy and the impending marriage? I personally think it's a great "in" and a hook for a new Superman series. I mean, it gives us a new angle for TV Superman. We already had Superman in training ( Smallville), straight up Superman classic ( 50s show) and an exploration of the Lois and Clark relationship ( Lois and Clark) and Supergirl is basically doing the straight forward Superhero thing. So a veteran Superman with a new wife and status quo and perhaps even a new Earth to defend (depending on how they manage a post TV crisis merge of the Earth's) may make for something compelling. But to each their own.
    Yup, that's what I mean. It kills any interest I might have had, I'm not interested in jumping in with basically a Rebirth status quo. Outside of my strong distaste in married/dad Superman, in general when it comes to new projects, I'm much more drawn in to starting new incarnations at their general starts. Again, don't need the origin, but at the very least a start in year one. Its exploring something different, I certainly give it that much credit, its just not for me. Straight up Superman classic, as you put it, is my bag.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 12-12-2018 at 10:57 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Straight up Superman classic, as you put it, is my bag.
    That's been played out just as much as anything else really. At least this is fresh and is in touch with what fans presently want and fits the CW mould presently of stable relationships.

It had been. And its definitely not "new". But its actually been conspicuously absent from live action tv projects for a long time. Hell since the original Adventures of Superman. Oh and The Adventures of Superboy. That's a really long hiatus. Looking at the history, he was completely absent entirely for a long time, then when he came back it was the start of the "focus less on Superman, focus more on the side-aspects" schtick.

This is new, but not my thing. I'm sure it will appeal to Rebirth fans though so cheers to that, no insult toward them intended. In touch or out of touch though, I wouldn't go that far. Because again that's veering into "Majority/minority" territory and there's absolutely no benchmark for that, as I've said before. I have no reason to think, nor do I believe there is any evidence for believing, a straight up classic Superman take is by any means out of touch compared to him as a married man and father. That would appeal to me personally, and more than likely a whole lot of others. Just like this idea will appeal to many.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 12-12-2018 at 11:22 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

It had been. And its definitely not "new". But its actually been conspicuously absent from live action projects for 20 years. I think that's a long enough hiatus.
    Or maybe people want something that moves the character forward past the cliches. Like I said, the Rebirth status quo is fairly popular, and CW are moving ahead with more stable family dynamics. If it's not for you, that's fair enough
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 12-12-2018 at 11:22 AM.

Of course there is, I'm not arguing there isn't. That would be an intellectually dishonest argument. But I am in no way prepared to say that its to the point I'm a rare breed who still very much welcomes a classic Superman take. I wouldn't believe any spin that everyone is tired of more classic status quos for Superman, as there's no evidence to support that. What there is evidence for is that this angle has worked in the comics to date. But the classic stuff still works too comparatively.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 12-12-2018 at 11:28 AM.

Don’t worry, Clark and Lois will probably ditch the kid in Argo, since apparently that’s their way of parenting

BANNED

I wouldn't believe any spin that [b]everyone[/I] is tired of more classic status quos for Superman
    Don't worry, I don't buy that, but I just feel like now's the time to experiment more and see what ideas stand up or fall down. We had a decade of Smallville already, and that had one of the best depictions of the Lois and Clark dynamic ever put to television, even if it wasn't entirely the "traditional" means of depicting it.

I'm just looking at how DC have progressed things more in the medium this mid to latter half of the decade, where you had Lois figure out the secret early in Man of Steel and swiftly begin a romance, and where you have Lois and Clark established as a family in-waiting on television,you now have characters like Jon coming into the Lego video games and making small animated cameos in TTG. There's a whole generation being gradually raised on the idea of Superdad, he is becoming their Superman. I just think we should let them have their day.

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    Don’t worry, Clark and Lois will probably ditch the kid in Argo, since apparently that’s their way of parenting
    It's not because he needs it, it's because he wants it!

Spectacular Member

I certainly enjoyed the crossover and totally geeked out at the potential of COIE on the TV. But was anyone else...disappointed with Clark's depiction in the Supergirl episode?
    Look I get it, its Kara's show and she is the star. But there were definitely some things I was not a fan of:

Would Superman really ever leave Earth for Argo--even with a pregnant Lois?
    In all the fights with Dugan, Clark got his butt kicked, and I just don't buy that. Doesn't he just have more experience with superpowers and superpowered combat?
    Even when Barry and Kara go off to Reeves the world back in time, and Oliver "has a plan" and rushes off to face the Monitor, Clark literally just spins around slackjawed not saying or doing anything. Not at least offering to take Kara's place? Superman?? I just don't feature it.

I guess what I thought was I was happy to see a live-action Superman again, but I hope if there is a spin-off they make the actual series version more of a...Superman.

I have no issue with them having their day. Like I said for fans of the Arrowverse and Rebirth I'm glad for them. I just get a little scared hoping we're not headed into a reality where Superdad is all we'll ever get again anywhere. Kinda like how some Flash fans fear that dead-Nora origin is all they're ever going to get again.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    About that. I kind of wonder if this isn't an attempt to get Superman off the board for good? They are moving there so that Lois has a healthy pregnancy. But what happens after the child is born? What if this is a more permanent status? No one has ever done wacky "Lois and Clark have to raise a superbaby!" type shenanigans before. What if the whole point of moving them to Argo is so that they can raise a powerless child? So Kara gets to be Earth's champion and Superman gets a happy ending with his family. We may be misreading this situation.
    Assassinate Putin!

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

If they decide to do a straight up Superman show with all the traditional bells and whistles I would be all for that too. I'm just looking at the fact that Supergirl has pretty much cornered the CW verse market on straight forward traditional "Superman vs. villain of the week" type stories. If a Superman series does the same thing it will probably not last long.

Also I get the feeling with Oliver and the Arrow series on their way out of the picture, and with Crisis providing the opportunity to transition to a new dynamic for their Superhero shows, it feels like this crossover is setting it up that Superman and Supergirl is probably going to be the lynchpin along with Barry. In other words, goodbye Arrowverse,hello SuperFlash verse. In this likely new set up of a merged Earth,Supes will be sort of the big cheese hero that he usually is. The first and best. Sort of a big brother and mentor figure to Kara and Barry in the way Ollie sort of is currently by default given how these shows spun off his.

I can imagine Superman as a family man having sci-fi adventures with his wife and kid looks attractive to CW and fills a niche that really none of the other Superhero shows do. Think something closer to Fantastic Four or the incredibles by way of the Superman mythos. Maybe even a touch of the zany sort of fun we see on the Legends show,but with Superman and family.

Of course this is all idle speculation. For all we know Barry,Oliver ,Kara and Clark all die in Crisis and Kate and her cousin Bruce dominate the CW. Rename it the "Bat Channel".
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 12-12-2018 at 11:55 AM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

I can imagine Superman as a family man having sci-fi adventures with his wife and kid looks attractive to CW and fills a niche that really none of the other Superhero shows do.
    That's actually pretty close to what Black Lightening has been tackling. It's Jefferson and his daughters.

BANNED

I just get a little scared hoping we're not headed into a reality where Superdad is all we'll ever get again anywhere.
    You make the Super-Fam and the Nora thing sound as if they're both equally bleak outcomes...was that intentional?

Not at all, my intended comparison is in the idea of a major change to continuity/status quo that gains so much steam, especially in other media, that no incarnation exists again without it. Flash has been there for a while and its a controversial thing that some section of the fanbase constantly laments. I worry, perhaps irrationally, that the same might happen here. Another example is Wonder Woman and the Zeus-dad origin.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 12-12-2018 at 12:17 PM.