Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Nice pic of Superman with his mother Lara. Oh wait...
    The only thing old here is your outdated ageism and sexism and this particular "joke," which "fans" like you have been repeating since the photo was released.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    Absolutely beautiful picture of Hoechlin and Tulloch who look beautiful together. The homage to Margot Kidder’s famous dress is sweet given that she just passed away and I really appreciate it.

It’s inspiring to see an actress who isn’t a young ingenue playing Lois again. It’s so important to have female role models who are grown women and have their lives together. I love so much that, yet again, this is a rare male/female pairing that challenges gender expectations about maturity. It’s both sexy and beautiful.

The barrage of comments about how “old” this woman supposedly looks are disappointing but expected. We have a long way to go, clearly in how we talk about women and age. This actress deserves better.
    Beautifully said. I agree wholeheartedly.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

You can call me an ageist, sexist but I just got a Lara vibe because of the dress and the background the first time I saw the pic. Just my first reaction to the image.
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 11-10-2018 at 03:07 PM.

And here I am still bothered by the cape strap .

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    You can call me an ageist, sexist but I just got a Lara vibe because of the dress and the background the first time I saw the pic. Just my first reaction to the image.
    Okay, then, when has Lara worn a dress like that and why would she ever be in the Fortress of Solitude? Why did you include the "Oh wait..." in your post? Sounds to me like you were making an ageist joke. Now you're making excuses.

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    Okay, then, when has Lara worn a dress like that and why would she ever be in the Fortress of Solitude? Why did you include the "Oh wait..." in your post? Sounds to me like you were making an ageist joke. Now you're making excuses.
    Thinking about it, I get why my post can be read as an ageist joke but at least Stargazer got what I was referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The strap is atrocious. But the rest is perfect.

Astonishing Member

The shoulder strap is atrocious but I like the rest of the suit. It wouldn't have made sense to get a younger looking Lois after we've seen Cat and Lucy. Tulloch isn't a bad choice in this regard. I just hope she'll be good in the role and have real chemistry with Hoechlin.

Ugh Donner crap. It's time to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    She doesn’t look remotely pregnant in that dress. It’s an homage to Margot Kidder who has barely been gone 6 months.
    Except for the fact that she IS pregnant and you can tell by looking at her waistline. I'm allowed to say that it doesn't hide it well, just as you're allowed to say she looks beautiful (which I never said anything to the contrary). I know it's an homage to Kidder, and it's irrelevant. My point is that it "kind of" hides the baby bump, but not well. *Note: I never said the pregnancy was a negative thing.

Not every post critiquing a female character or their costume design is an attack; not every critique needs to be a hill to fight on <shrug>

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Ugh Donner crap. It's time to move on.
    Agreed. It's permeated almost everything even long after the films were over to the point I wish those films never existed at all.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    Agreed. It's permeated almost everything even long after the films were over to the point I wish those films never existed at all.
    People like what's familiar, it helps them to embrace new elements more readily.

Let's not forget this is a old experienced Superman, He only looks young because of kryptonian aging. So it makes sense his Lois would be older.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    Except for the fact that she IS pregnant and you can tell by looking at her waistline. I'm allowed to say that it doesn't hide it well, just as you're allowed to say she looks beautiful (which I never said anything to the contrary). I know it's an homage to Kidder, and it's irrelevant. My point is that it "kind of" hides the baby bump, but not well. *Note: I never said the pregnancy was a negative thing.

Not every post critiquing a female character or their costume design is an attack; not every critique needs to be a hill to fight on <shrug>
    Stop being reasonable and logical. This is a Comics message board. Taking things out of context to soap box and hyperbole about fictional characters is what we do here!

I understand the frustration but I would never go that far. It's not the film's or Donner/Salkind's fault that later creators are too lazy to come up with things that are original, nor a very loud an obstinate minority of the fanbase that continues to slap down anything that steers the live action version of Superman away from anything Donner-esqe. As I said in an old post on the subject of the Donner film's permiating everything after it,its not Richard Donner's vision that is the problem. It's everyone else's lack of vision and a lack of the acceptance of new angles from which to approach this 80 year old character.

The movies themselves are perfectly fine. They're movies that can stand on their own and be enjoyed. But I wish the people in charge would stop lifting stuff from them so much. It's okay to wink and nod to the past..but don't plagerize.

If the Donner film's never happened we never would have gotten Batman 89. Without Batman 89 we never would have gotten all the great Comics book movies we've gotten since. Yes, even MAN OF STEEL. So I'm forever glad they were made.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 11-12-2018 at 07:10 AM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    You're not the only one. I get that they wanted to do something different but those things are just distracting! In terms of Lois' age, keep something in mind: Superman is a bit older than he looks. They made that clear in his first appearance. Kryptonians age much slower than humans. Presumably because once they absorb enough yellow solar radiation, their aging process slows down. But I'm also going off the fan wiki so make of that what you will. I'm more worried they'll kill him off.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by GSman View Post
    Let's not forget this is a old experienced Superman, He only looks young because of kryptonian aging. So it makes sense his Lois would be older.
    Exactly. Hoechlin's Superman is supposed to be 40-years old but looking younger.
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 11-12-2018 at 08:54 AM.

BANNED

So if she's pregnant then is it for the storyline or because she's actually expecting a child? Because there were set pics with her in jeans and she didn't look pregnant to me at all.