Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Ugh Donner crap. It's time to move on.
    It’s the 40th anniversary of the film and, more importantly, Margot Kidder died tragically this year. I think we can allow her a tribute in one promo image without tearing it apart given this may be one of the only tributes she receives in death.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    You're not the only one. I get that they wanted to do something different but those things are just distracting! In terms of Lois' age, keep something in mind: Superman is a bit older than he looks. They made that clear in his first appearance. Kryptonians age much slower than humans. Presumably because once they absorb enough yellow solar radiation, their aging process slows down. But I'm also going off the fan wiki so make of that what you will. I'm more worried they'll kill him off.
    Clark Kent is 35/36 years old on Supergirl. They made it explicitly clear last year with the “35 years ago” Tag at the explosion of Krypton. Hoechlin is 31. The actress is only 37.

The age difference between these two actors is very small and we don’t need a silly “oh well Clark doesn’t age” explanation because nothing needs to be explained.

These actors have the same age difference between them as Gal Gadot and Chris Pine. No one devoted any dialogue to their ages when he was cast. Stephen Amell and Emily Bert Rickards have a 10+ age difference between them but no one notices it. Robert Downey Jr. is older than Paltrow by more years but again no one notices.

What’s bothersome and tiresome for many, I think, is that people even feel the need to bring her age up at all or even justify “well he doesn’t age as fast” etc. This should be a non-issue. It shouldn’t even be noticeable. It’s only a point of discussion and only noticeable because she’s female. That’s the issue.
    Last edited by Nelliebly; 11-12-2018 at 09:14 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Exactly. Hoechlin's Superman is supposed to be 40-years old but looking younger.

No he’s not. He’s like 36. Krypton exploded 35 years ago in the Reign flashback. It was easy to miss because the show has been so inconsistent with its own timeline but they did officially set it. Krypton exploded 35 years ago as of about a year ago so he’s maybe 36.

But this doesn’t actually matter and that is the point. No one needed some kind of explanation to “make sense” of why Chris Pine was 5/6 years older than Gal Gadot. No one needed an explanation to explain why Tony Stark was older than Pepper Potts.

People only seem to try and provide these justifications when the woman is older and, see....that’s where the underlying sexism is an issue.

We don’t need to “explain” why she’s 37. She’s 37 because she’s 37 and sometimes younger men fall in love and sleep with and marry women a few years older. (See: Chris Hemsworth etc.) That’s it. No justification needed for this age difference between Lois and Clark here or anywhere else. There is nothing to “make sense” of and no one would be trying to explain it if the genders were reversed.

That’s the issue, guys.
    Last edited by Nelliebly; 11-12-2018 at 09:13 AM.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

I missed the "35 years ago" part in season 3. I based my math on the infos provided by the show during its 1st season. Back then, Krypton exploded 24 years before Kara arrived on Earth, and she revealed herself as Supergirl after another 12 years. So, Supes must have been 36 at the beginning of the first season.

BANNED

I missed the "35 years ago" part in season 3. I based my math on the infos provided by the show during its 1st season. Back then, Krypton exploded 24 years before Kara arrived on Earth, and she revealed herself as Supergirl after another 12 years. So, Supes must have been 36 at the beginning of the first season.
    Yeah, as I said, easy to miss because the show has been inconsistent with their canon but yes.

What likely happened is that the original plan, when Lois and Clark were only going to appear offscreen, was to have them both closer to Cat’s age. But then, when they decided to cast Hoechlin, they slightly adjusted the canon.

The show has been widely inconsistent in so many ways though so I get the confusion.

But according to this (which is the most recent tag that lays out the timeline and literally shows the infant leaving Krypton) Clark is maybe 36 years old now. They retconned it down.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JG7zCVkgc6g
    Last edited by Nelliebly; 11-12-2018 at 09:50 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Armor of God View Post
    So if she's pregnant then is it for the storyline or because she's actually expecting a child? Because there were set pics with her in jeans and she didn't look pregnant to me at all.
    The actress is expecting a child with her husband, David Giuntoli from Grimm. Her husband, as many people know, auditioned for Man of Steel against Henry Cavill but was deemed not quite tall enough for the role though he made it through several rounds of auditions. Her husband looks a lot like Brandon Routh to the point that the two have talked openly about being mistaken for each other a lot over the years. David was on many fancasts for Superman on the CW before Tyler Hoechlin was cast. He looks similar to Tyler and I think Elizabeth has remarked on it. When he had a mustache, he looked similar to Henry Cavill during Mustachegate. LOL

Frankly, her husband, David, is gorgeous and extremely charismatic and if he was a few inches taller he likely would be playing Superman in some capacity because he looks a lot like Clark facially, has a great speaking voice, was on lot of people’s “lists” etc and is a real fan. But he seems over the moon for his wife and has been extremely supportive of her and of Hoechlin which is very sweet. He is currently the lead on ABC’s drama A Million Little Things so he’s busy regardless.

Whether or not Lois is pregnant remains to be seen. A lot of people seem to be hoping she is but no one knows.
    Last edited by Nelliebly; 11-12-2018 at 10:12 AM.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    Yeah, as I said, easy to miss because the show has been inconsistent with their canon but yes.

What likely happened is that the original plan, when Lois and Clark were only going to appear offscreen, was to have them both closer to Cat’s age. But then, when they decided to cast Hoechlin, they slightly adjusted the canon.

The show has been widely inconsistent in so many ways though so I get the confusion.

But according to this (which is the most recent tag that lays out the timeline and literally shows the infant leaving Krypton) Clark is maybe 36 years old now. They retconned it down.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JG7zCVkgc6g
    Thanks for the video. This makes Clark's debut as Superman earlier than usual.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    You're not the only one. I get that they wanted to do something different but those things are just distracting! In terms of Lois' age, keep something in mind: Superman is a bit older than he looks. They made that clear in his first appearance. Kryptonians age much slower than humans. Presumably because once they absorb enough yellow solar radiation, their aging process slows down. But I'm also going off the fan wiki so make of that what you will. I'm more worried they'll kill him off.
    Yeah, the straps worked with Mon-El's costume (he had them in the comics), but they don't really look right on Superman.

Thinking about it, I get why my post can be read as an ageist joke but at least Stargazer got what I was referring to.
    Yes I did. Lois totally reminds me of Lara from Superman 2. I think we are also 'allowed' to our own interpretation until we are told otherwise by the showrunners.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Stop being reasonable and logical. This is a Comics message board. Taking things out of context to soap box and hyperbole about fictional characters is what we do here!

I understand the frustration but I would never go that far. It's not the film's or Donner/Salkind's fault that later creators are too lazy to come up with things that are original, nor a very loud an obstinate minority of the fanbase that continues to slap down anything that steers the live action version of Superman away from anything Donner-esqe. As I said in an old post on the subject of the Donner film's permiating everything after it,its not Richard Donner's vision that is the problem. It's everyone else's lack of vision and a lack of the acceptance of new angles from which to approach this 80 year old character.

The movies themselves are perfectly fine. They're movies that can stand on their own and be enjoyed. But I wish the people in charge would stop lifting stuff from them so much. It's okay to wink and nod to the past..but don't plagerize.

If the Donner film's never happened we never would have gotten Batman 89. Without Batman 89 we never would have gotten all the great Comics book movies we've gotten since. Yes, even MAN OF STEEL. So I'm forever glad they were made.
    I agree. We wouldn't be here without Donner Superman. I think we the fandom need to be more open minded with new interpretations, but I also think some filmmakers go too far with the character and it just doesn't feel right. It's something you feel or you don't.

I also thought Clark in the CW was older (40s) because of Cat Grant. Aren't they contemporaries? Otherwise she's into very young men.
    Last edited by stargazer01; 11-12-2018 at 12:54 PM.

BANNED

You can “interpret” it all you want but it’s a weird interpretation given the dress is nearly identical to the one Margot Kidder wore in Superman the movie, the actress has been compared to Kidder, we are clearly honoring Kidder in the year of her death and the actrsss wrote a tribute to her when she was cast. Additionally, Damien Halbrook, who was given the exclusive, by the network confirmed its a tribute to Margot Kidder.

Your “interpretation” doesn’t make any sense and has been proven wrong literally from the source. But you do you.

Cat Grant was 12 years older than Clark on “Lois and Clark.” They weren’t contemporaries there and there was basically nothing implying they were the same age here. You assumed wrong. And if she’s into younger men, so what? Who cares? It’s hardly worth a mention.
    Last edited by Nelliebly; 11-12-2018 at 01:00 PM.

You can “interpret” it all you want but it’s a weird interpretation given the dress is nearly identical to the one Margot Kidder wore in Superman the movie, the actress has been compared to Kidder, we are clearly honoring Kidder in the year of her death and the actrsss wrote a tribute to her when she was cast. Additionally, Damien Halbrook, who was given the exclusive, by the network confirmed its a tribute to Margot Kidder.

Your “interpretation” doesn’t make any sense and has been proven wrong literally from the source. But you do you.

Cat Grant was 12 years older than Clark on “Lois and Clark.” They weren’t contemporaries there and there was basically nothing implying they were the same age here. You assumed wrong. And if she’s into younger men, so what? Who cares? It’s hardly worth a mention.
    OK, I was told otherwise about Cat Grant in Supergirl. It seems you are an expert so thanks..

and you know, I do have a sense of humor. Life is better that way.

People only seem to try and provide these justifications when the woman is older and, see....that’s where the underlying sexism is an issue.

We don’t need to “explain” why she’s 37. She’s 37 because she’s 37 and sometimes younger men fall in love and sleep with and marry women a few years older. (See: Chris Hemsworth etc.) That’s it. No justification needed for this age difference between Lois and Clark here or anywhere else. There is nothing to “make sense” of and no one would be trying to explain it if the genders were reversed.

That’s the issue, guys.
    Spot on. Excellent breakdown of the issue and the problematic double standards.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    Yes I did. Lois totally reminds me of Lara from Superman 2. I think we are also 'allowed' to our own interpretation until we are told otherwise by the showrunners.
    Wow.

Exactly. Plus, it's not as if Lois in the Fortress is a rare occurrence. She and Clark slept together there in Superman 2, kissed and got Jor-El's "blessing" on their impending marriage there in Smallville's "Abandoned" and "Prophecy" episodes respectively (seen here), and made love there in the animated movie Superman: Doomsday. Lois has been in the Fortress far more than Lara, Lara is blonde, and Lara in the Fortress isn't even in both versions of Superman 2. The fact that somehow that was some people's alleged first response is telling in terms of perceptions of age, especially as it relates to gender.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Stop being reasonable and logical. This is a Comics message board. Taking things out of context to soap box and hyperbole about fictional characters is what we do here!

I understand the frustration but I would never go that far. It's not the film's or Donner/Salkind's fault that later creators are too lazy to come up with things that are original, nor a very loud an obstinate minority of the fanbase that continues to slap down anything that steers the live action version of Superman away from anything Donner-esqe. As I said in an old post on the subject of the Donner film's permiating everything after it,its not Richard Donner's vision that is the problem. It's everyone else's lack of vision and a lack of the acceptance of new angles from which to approach this 80 year old character.

The movies themselves are perfectly fine. They're movies that can stand on their own and be enjoyed. But I wish the people in charge would stop lifting stuff from them so much. It's okay to wink and nod to the past..but don't plagerize.

If the Donner film's never happened we never would have gotten Batman 89. Without Batman 89 we never would have gotten all the great Comics book movies we've gotten since. Yes, even MAN OF STEEL. So I'm forever glad they were made.
    You make excellent points, as usual. And you're absolutely right regarding the things we wouldn't have if not for Donner's original movie. If I were to use a cooler head (where's the fun in that? :P ), I might even say I was massively exaggerating a little. I mostly just get angry that every new incarnation that doesn't adhere to Donner's visuals & dialogue/characterization gets unfairly criticised for not being Donner. I know a lot of critics didn't like MoS, for instance, but a good portion of the dislikes came from what the film wasn't, rather than what it was (not saying all negative reviews were because it wasn't Donner, obviously. But many definitely were, and even said so in their reviews at the time). But you're right, the modern superhero film landscape would be terribly different if not for Donner, if it existed at all.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

I think the lighting on that picture is what makes Lois look older than she is. The light is reflecting off her hair, making it look white.
    Last edited by KC; 11-12-2018 at 10:16 PM.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

BANNED

Nothing Supe related in it as of yet, but here is the first Elseworld teaser