Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Not at all, my intended comparison is in the idea of a major change to continuity/status quo that gains so much steam, especially in other media, that no incarnation exists again without it. Flash has been there for a while and its a controversial thing that some section of the fanbase constantly laments. I worry, perhaps irrationally, that the same might happen here.
    I'm sure they'll be a Superman for you again. Hell if I were to commision a new animated series or got Insomniac to do a video game, it'd be strictly classic static quo for a bit

It’s an odd comparison, since the Nora thing is Barry’s origin not where his life ends up well into his superhero career. A better comparison is to Batman and Damian or just the concept of the batfamily. The batfamily is popular and they show up in a lot of Batman stuff but people will always want to have stories about a solo Batman who works alone. Damian is a big hit and now he’s in a lot of stuff. But it’s not like every incarnation of Batman going forward is going to have Damian around.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackTerror View Post
    I certainly enjoyed the crossover and totally geeked out at the potential of COIE on the TV. But was anyone else...disappointed with Clark's depiction in the Supergirl episode?
    Look I get it, its Kara's show and she is the star. But there were definitely some things I was not a fan of:

Would Superman really ever leave Earth for Argo--even with a pregnant Lois?
    In all the fights with Dugan, Clark got his butt kicked, and I just don't buy that. Doesn't he just have more experience with superpowers and superpowered combat?
    Even when Barry and Kara go off to Reeves the world back in time, and Oliver "has a plan" and rushes off to face the Monitor, Clark literally just spins around slackjawed not saying or doing anything. Not at least offering to take Kara's place? Superman?? I just don't feature it.

I guess what I thought was I was happy to see a live-action Superman again, but I hope if there is a spin-off they make the actual series version more of a...Superman.
    I chalk it off to "this is not Superman's show" so they nerf him as much as they want to push their plot. I could rage and rant until the cows come home but nothing will ever change this until he actually gets his own show and is not a guest appearance. So in essence, I just ignore it and move on. I don't watch the shows anyway (I watched this to see their Lois) so it doesn't particularly affect how I see the character.

Admittedly my initial reaction is all based on the hypothetical. As far as I know at this point that's all this is, a reason for Superman to in large part stay away and for this verse to continue its focus on Supergirl as the big gun.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Admittedly my initial reaction is all based on the hypothetical. As far as I know at this point that's all this is, a reason for Superman to in large part stay away and for this verse to continue its focus on Supergirl as the big gun.
    this is the main reason why I don't enjoy these stories involving Superman.

I certainly enjoyed the crossover and totally geeked out at the potential of COIE on the TV. But was anyone else...disappointed with Clark's depiction in the Supergirl episode?
    Look I get it, its Kara's show and she is the star. But there were definitely some things I was not a fan of: .
    To be fair Supergirl didn't really get to do all that much either in her own show. It seemed to be mostly about Barry and Oliver. In the heat vision battle against DeeganMan she was easily defeated, for example.

In all the fights with Dugan, Clark got his butt kicked, and I just don't buy that. Doesn't he just have more experience with superpowers and superpowered combat?
    Even when Barry and Kara go off to Reeves the world back in time, and Oliver "has a plan" and rushes off to face the Monitor, Clark literally just spins around slackjawed not saying or doing anything. Not at least offering to take Kara's place? Superman?? I just don't feature it.
    Considering Clark is going to be a father maybe he was less willing to risk his life. He loves his cousin but she really doesn't have anyone depending on her. She isn't even in a relationship.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

I'm not really at all upset how they had Clark take a sabbatical during Lois' pregnancy. I mean, that's essentially how it shook out with Jon's birth and toddler years based on the retconned post-Reborn history Jurgens presented. Hell here it makes a bit more sense as an adult and capable Kara exists here that he can trust in and in the comics apparently there was no Kara period until recently. Also, I'm absolutely sure he'll be back in COIE and perhaps sooner to help out against whatever Lex is up to later this season.

In any case I prefer this explanation to the other ways they've written Clark out of service in past seasons of Supergirl ( the most laughable one was the way he gets nerfed by Non and Indigo's plan in the season one finale and all you saw were a pair of blue legs attached to red boots on a DEO medical table for the whole episode after. Granted they hadnt cast Tyler yet, but it was still laughably bad. Ugh.)
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 12-12-2018 at 07:00 PM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Yeah... I think he might. He would certainly be available if he was needed, but I could see him not going out and actively looking for crisises to stop. I seem to remember a few times when he willingly put himself in a position where he would be 'retired'... either going to Kandor or Krypton or time travel and other dimensions... thus leaving earth to itself. Heck it's what he did in Superman Returns, and was really the least of the sins of THAT movie.

The fact that he had a replacement ready and waiting and a Kryptonian culture to see first hand makes this a lot easier to accept than most other times.

Not at least offering to take Kara's place? Superman?? I just don't feature it.
    They already determined that Clark was the only one with the experience to deal with the book. Kara getting the book away was pointless... needed to be Clark.

I have to say this.. I didn't think the CW would manage to humiliate Superman more, but they did in this crossover. They even had Lois saying a sexist remarks about how girls are better than boys in a crisis... man this Supergirl show is not subtle at all with their feminist agenda. The funny thing is I predicted this would happen. This show is so predictable, it rarely surprised me.

I'm not watching this show again. I can't tolerate their treatment of Superman anymore. I don't care if we don't have more movies or whatever. I'm not so desperate to accept whatever WB and DC throw at me.

Campea nails my feelings perfectly. And the crossover itself was ok. Some good moments, but Superman's portrayal was awful.

Last edited by stargazer01; 12-12-2018 at 10:30 PM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    I have to say this.. I didn't think the CW would manage to humiliate Superman more, but they did in this crossover. They even had Lois saying a sexist remarks about how girls are better than boys in a crisis... man this Supergirl show is not subtle at all with their feminist agenda. The funny thing is I predicted this would happen. This show is so predictable, it rarely surprised me.

I'm not watching this show again. I can't tolerate their treatment of Superman anymore. I don't care if we don't have more movies or whatever. I'm not so desperate to accept whatever WB and DC throw at me.

Campea nails my feelings perfectly. And the crossover itself was ok. Some good moments, but Superman's portrayal was awful.

I agree with you.
    I watched the series for the first time. It pissed me of .And they call post crisis guy a navel gazer and incompetent. This guy takes the cake
    I understand superman is a supporting character, All might is also a supporting character. This show doesn't allow superman to be good support.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 12-13-2018 at 06:57 AM.

Its hard to imagine CW caring much about a spin off of any kind in light of how they characterize the dynamic between cousins. I mean, if they're that committed to pointing out that Supergirl is THE hero, where would he even fit? Move him to another Earth and do a stranger on a strange Earth thing? Outside of that possibility, the idea of a spin-off seems like a pipe dream.

TBH it wouldn't half surprise me if they did this to introduce a Superboy, but have him arrive on his own minus his parents as a sidekick for Supergirl. At least, from what I've been reading Superman's role in this verse seems to have only ever been utilized as a means to an end entity. Perhaps this time that end is a protégé for Kara.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 12-13-2018 at 11:15 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I don't think he's getting a spin off and, TBH, I don't think he's really going to come back in any real capacity. I think this was meant to be his retirement. He leaves Earth to raise a family, Kara takes over for him. He might be back for COIE but this seems like it was clearly designed to get him off the board so fans don't keep asking where he is when Kara is in trouble. The pregnancy takes care of him for the next year and they can easily just throw in some line about how he chose to stay in Argo for good after the kid is born. I think we're all misreading this situation. I hope I'm wrong but this seems like it was designed to be a compromise with getting rid of him and not just straight up killing him. Retired Superman vs. dead Superman. We'll see come COIE, in which case, they may give us something a little more concrete but that was my reading of what happened.
    Assassinate Putin!

Networks are transitioning to a year round model slowly so they be looking for another show to help stagger the seasons like they are doing with Legends of Tomorrow.

And with Arrow rumored to be ending with Batwoman as the replacement next season that could be an indication of what they see as the ceiling for seasons on these shows. So I agree a Superman or Super-themed show is unlikely until Supergirl finishes up. But may be setting up a Superfamily show for a year or two down the road when Flash or Supergirl decide it's time to close up shop.

Although if they swap Superman's death for Kara's in COIE next year, rolling Lois and Jon into Supergirl may be the way they go with the hope of an eventual spin off once Supergirl ends.

I could easily see them swapping Kara's famous COIE death in the comic with Kal's death in the show.