Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by regg215 View Post
    I completely get that the show was going to have Supergirl win the fight. At the end of the day it is intended for a female empowerment type audience and the show has basically set out to ensure that is the theme the show focuses on. Given how many male-centric shows there are, I get that there is a need for that. It may not be a show that I enjoy but I do know there are people out there who need a show like this and in that way I can't complain too much.
    Honestly, I'd say the entire CW line up is that way to say the least. It's like every show has decided it should cater to a more female audience and it's getting old fast. Iris is leader of Team Flash and giving orders to everyone... Flash included? Sure... because on a team of super powered speedsters and scientists and detectives... an ex-part time reporter CERTAINLY has the qualities you need to call the shots >.<

Felicity at least calls out Ollie's stupidity when he's actually being stupid... and has the magic computer hacking skills to be a legitimate member of the team even if she isn't wearing a mask... (Wild Dog and Mister Terrific on the other hand... they're useless on every level) But Iris??? It's like Flash had a bring your girlfriend to work day and everyone is scrambling to find something to make her feel useful..

I would absolutely love it if these shows would STOP trying to force 'female audience' and 'male audience' and just have the characters act like they should act.... do what they should do... and live within their capabilities. Like Killer Frost. She's got the scientific/biology skills to be useful... she has powers when she needs a fight. She's useful to the team. Iris?? Ughhh… I like her less than I like Alex.

hmmmm… Maybe...

My only real gripe is that is seemed like the only reason they brought clark on the show was to have him get beat down as a way to build up Kara and I absolutely hate that. The dialogue was cringe worthy in my opinion but I do agree that Clark certainly would say something close to what he said, Clark is always gonna be humble and compliment others, the whole "stronger than I ever will be" part was really what got me, kinda felt like the show was trying way to freaking hard to say "see even Superman admits that Kara is better than he is". In the end, I just think bringing on the character who is the reason the show even exists in the first place so that you can have him get whooped was a very poor choice.
    I chose to see it a different way. The alternative to having him on the show... is having a fanbase constantly screaming WHERE IS SUPERMAN?!?? they acknowledge he's in the universe... but then have world killers and alien invasions and he DOESN'T show up and that's kind of weird. The text messages were cute in season one... but they HAD to bring him in eventually.

I really wish they kept things a bit smaller and more focused JUST on national City. If the WORLD is going to be destroyed Clark NEEDS to be there doing his best to save it. If a building or even National City is going to be destroyed... well, he's dealing with a volcano or Brainiac trying to break Metropolis and has faith that his cousin can handle it. Keep the threats smaller and more intimate, not Epic world ending.

Yup, that was the most blatant character assassination I have seen on TV (for Superheros). He basically was brought on the show and existed in the Arrowverse as the show's way of saying "look Supergirl is better". I mean he gets trashed in an fight when he supposed to be the veteran Superman and she is still supposed to be learning. And then just to make sure that you don't in any way confuse that maybe Superman was feeling off during the fight or not going all out, they make him come out and grovel that Kara is better than him. Still can't believe DC did that to the guy who literally defines the entire genre. I get that they want to make Supergirl powerful and send an empowerment message and that's fine but using Superman as a ragdoll to elevate her was not the way to do that.
    Very well said.

I never wanted to see Superman in this show. I didn't watch it to see him, I just never expected the writers to disrespect the character that way in favor of a ripoff.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    This is the key here. I don't mind personal lives... in fact I'm always pushing for MORE supporting characters and secret ID stuff in the actual books. However, the Supergirl writers are just.... BAD at it. They have found a way to out-angst Arrow... Flash... and even Smallville. After the mindless crying and whining with the Alex/Maggie, Kara/Mon-el/Jimmy/Wynn and even J'onn/M'gann…. I was longing for the well written 'drama' of the Clark/Lana relationship of Smallville ;P
    Well I didn't dislike those like you did. And please.. Clana was awful.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    Well I didn't dislike those like you did. And please.. Clana was awful.
    Yes. Yes it was... Prior to 2009 I would have ranked that the worst television 'romances' of all time... which just shows how much I disliked the other modern examples ;P

BANNED

Clark and Barry race (CW version) imminent?

https://comicbook.com/dc/2018/08/23/...over-confirme/

Yup, that was the most blatant character assassination I have seen on TV (for Superheros). He basically was brought on the show and existed in the Arrowverse as the show's way of saying "look Supergirl is better". I mean he gets trashed in an fight when he supposed to be the veteran Superman and she is still supposed to be learning. And then just to make sure that you don't in any way confuse that maybe Superman was feeling off during the fight or not going all out, they make him come out and grovel that Kara is better than him. Still can't believe DC did that to the guy who literally defines the entire genre. I get that they want to make Supergirl powerful and send an empowerment message and that's fine but using Superman as a ragdoll to elevate her was not the way to do that.
    So lets just ignore the fact that Superman got his ass handed to him by a mere human in some goofy animal costume and complain that Superman lost a fair fight to a Kryptonian. Or the fact that when Superman was confronted by a human in a diner, Superman cowardly slunk off and instead of confronting the man face to face, Superman destroyed the man's livelihood by destroying his truck and ran off and hid. But when Superman is trying to encourage
    his cousin when she is going into battle and trying to make her feel better after Supergirl killed somebody then Superman is groveling.
    People sure have weird ideas about what Superman is supposed to be about. Nothing at all done on Supergirl that ever made Superman look weak or inferior. I don't get why people think Superman is supposed to be some sort of
    he-man blunt object with no heart or compassion. Superman is about hope and is a role model. Which is what he was providing to his cousin. I don't see it as a plus minus. Heroics isn't some bags of potatoes where if one character is heroic, the other character is less heroic. They were both heroes. Superman handled the Daxamites and Supergirl handled their queen.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    So lets just ignore the fact that Superman got his ass handed to him by a mere human in some goofy animal costume and complain that Superman lost a fair fight to a Kryptonian. Or the fact that when Superman was confronted by a human in a diner, Superman cowardly slunk off and instead of confronting the man face to face, Superman destroyed the man's livelihood by destroying his truck and ran off and hid. But when Superman is trying to encourage
    his cousin when she is going into battle and trying to make her feel better after Supergirl killed somebody then Superman is groveling.
    People sure have weird ideas about what Superman is supposed to be about. Nothing at all done on Supergirl that ever made Superman look weak or inferior. I don't get why people think Superman is supposed to be some sort of
    he-man blunt object with no heart or compassion. Superman is about hope and is a role model. Which is what he was providing to his cousin. I don't see it as a plus minus. Heroics isn't some bags of potatoes where if one character is heroic, the other character is less heroic. They were both heroes. Superman handled the Daxamites and Supergirl handled their queen.
    Are you under the impression that the people who hated that fight in Supergirl defended the bolded? Because I can assure you that is far from the case. Both come from the same type of fan that takes offense whenever Superman is depicted as less than perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Are you under the impression that the people who hated that fight in Supergirl defended the bolded? Because I can assure you that is far from the case. Both come from the same type of fan that takes offense whenever Superman is depicted as less than perfect.
    I find that people who complain about the CW Superman and love the DCEU Superman just like to ignore that part. While completely ignoring the first two episodes that Superman was in and most of the rest of the finale.
    Nobody ever mentions how Superman fought the Daxamites or how Superman helped Kara at the Fortress of Solitude to find a way to deal with Rhea. Or got Cat Grant to go easy on the publicity.

I find that people who complain about the CW Superman and love the DCEU Superman just like to ignore that part. While completely ignoring the first two episodes that Superman was in and most of the rest of the finale.
    Nobody ever mentions how Superman fought the Daxamites or how Superman helped Kara at the Fortress of Solitude to find a way to deal with Rhea. Or got Cat Grant to go easy on the publicity.
    Fans of the DCEU don't ignore it so much as they don't automatically think it's such a terrible thing (ruining a sexual harasser's source of income is the least offensive thing a superhero can do especially when their fans seem to be so lenient towards other stuff like torture that is far less justifiable and his loss to Batman in BvS was a lot more believable than almost any other instance of him losing to a human). People who hated the DCEU loved CW's Superman until that fight with Kara. Just in this thread you've had three of the DCEU's most vocal critics lambasting CW Superman. That includes the guy you responded to.

But hey, now you know how people who defend the DCEU Superman feel

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Clark and Barry race (CW version) imminent?

https://comicbook.com/dc/2018/08/23/...over-confirme/
    Well, they would kind of have to! I mean, even the movie did it! Um...spoilers for Justice League.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I could work with that. First of all, it was HER show. She really does need to WIN that fight... and he was mind controlled or something, so I can live with her winning.

I also didn't have a problem with what he said.

Superman: You okay?
    Supergirl: Of course. I did the right thing.
    Superman: I... think it goes far beyond the right thing. I couldn't have done it, Kara.
    Supergirl: You don't have to try to make me feel better.
    Superman: I'm not. I'm humbled by you. I'd like to think that if it came down to a choice between Lois and the world, but... I don't think I could. You are so much stronger than me. Stronger than I ever will be.

I don't see anything false in that statement. I can't picture a situation where Superman would ever chose to abandon/kill/exile Lois to save the world. He wouldn't let that choice happen. He'd find a way to save both.... but if push comes to shove, I don't believe Clark can even fathom making that choice. It just doesn't process for him.

I just can't picture Superman standing there with his hands on his hips saying "yeah, I would have done the same thing! Needs of the many over the needs of the few and all that!" Clark is just too humble for that. Even if he didn't really MEAN it. Even if he felt there SHOULD have been a way to save both... he wouldn't have said that Kara then and there. He's not a 'kick her when she's down' kind of guy.

They could have handled the dialoge better. You can certainly take offense to the concept that Supergirl wins the day... but I really don't see a better way for this 'torchpassing' show to done this AND kept Clark humble and nice and heroic.
    How about to save the Joker? Comics Superman once chose to let Lois die rather than kill the clown. If it hadn't been a huge prank by the Joker, Lois would be in the ground because he wouldn't break his code on killing.

Lois or the world, Superman chooses the world. If he did otherwise, Lois would kick his ass lol
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Not ignoring those at all. I am not a big fan of either of those moments by any means. I do feel they were better than what happened in the arrowverse. DCEU Superman has certainly had his ups and downs but both those moments were ok to me because of the context. When The goofy animal costume guy happens to be one of the greatest martial artist in the world and a master strategist. Not to mention that he specifically planned for the fight to happen in a certain location and has been prepping for months. In BVS batman is at his peak as a crimefighter while Clark is still learning to be Superman. Also Batman is going all out in that scene and is clearly planning on killing Clark, whereas Clark is morally conflicted, and not really committed to fighting Batman. Most importantly Batman has kryptonite which affects Clark more than usual since it is the first time he has been exposed to it.

As far as the human in the diner in MOS I think that was perfectly in character for a young immature Superman. He has the moral strength not to destroy the guy in a fight and instead walks away. While it was a bit overboard to do that to the guys truck it does fit for what a young pre superman clark might do to a guy who was sexually harassing someone he liked.

I can't have too much of an issue with Clark losing to Supergirl on her show but to go out of the way to make sure that we clarify that Clark was going all out thinking he was fighting Zod was too much. Somehow rookie superhero Kara can take out a veteran Superman and then we gotta make Supes say "you are greater than I will ever be " just to confirm that Kara is greater than Clark. They could have easily had Kara get the upper hand and be winning and then have Clark snap out of it but no Kara has to knock him the hell out. And sure Superman is always going to say positive things to motivate and inspire his cousin but I don't know why that has to include him saying something like that. I just feel the show could have done a better job of elevating Kara without having to tear down Clark in the process. As a DC fan there is way too many instance of elevating characters by having them defeat Superman, even though I like Batman more than Superman it is an extremely annoying trend that every couple of years we have to have Bats beat Superman up. It is tiring to see Supes continually used a punching bag any time they wanna show how powerful another character is.

Obviously this is completely my opinion and it's absolutely fine if you completely disagree or think I am wrong. If you liked the moment in the show that's cool, I wasn't personally a fan of what happened but everyone is entitled to their opinion.
    Last edited by regg215; 08-24-2018 at 07:26 PM.
    "You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged"- CAPT. Picard

Everything reg215 said.

I just think Osiris' comparisons are apples and oranges that had little to do with the reason why some of us don't like the CW Superman.

The CW went out of their way to humiliate Superman in order to elevate Kara. In BvS, Batman almost won because he had kryptonite plus Superman didn't want to kill him. Very different dynamics. And at the end Bruce himself realizes how wrong he was and how much he now admires Clark. Even more in JL when he declares Clark a better person than he ever was.

And in Man of Steel, that sexual harasser deserved to be punished. he is lucky Clark didn't kill him. That was a better version of the Diner beatdown from Superman 2 IMO. At least for me it is. god forbid Clark to act more human once in a while.
    Last edited by stargazer01; 08-24-2018 at 08:45 PM.

Lots I could (and still may) say on this topic, but for now, let's keep it light:

Who is your first choice for CW Lois Lane?

This would be the 10th actress to portray Ms. Lane onscreen.

My vote remains as it was when I first thought they would eventually introduce Lois on SUPERGIRL.

Tiffani Thiessen.

She starred in tv shows like SAVED BY THE BELL, BEVERLY HILLS 90210, and WHITE COLLAR.

Tiffani is now 44 years old, is within a decade of Callista Flockhart's age, bears enough of a resemblance to Jenna Dewan to be the CW Lucy Lane's older sister, and would look good paired up with Tyler Hoechlin's Clark Kent.

This would be a very "good get" by the CW. Make it happen, Berlanti & Co.
    Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 08-25-2018 at 12:09 PM.

Astonishing Member

Yikes. Would hoped this dude would have been done after his bumbling last appearance.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory