Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

EXCLUSIVE: Arrowverse Crossover Breakdown For Lois Lane!: http://www.thathashtagshow.com/2018/...ver-lois-lane/

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

My guess is that this will be the story in which Superman finally bites it, allowing Supergirl to finally take his place as the Earth's Greatest Hero.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Hasn't the poor guy already died enough lately? Give him a break.
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 08-29-2018 at 09:11 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    My guess is that this will be the story in which Superman finally bites it, allowing Supergirl to finally take his place as the Earth's Greatest Hero.
    I really don't know why everyone is jumping to this conclusion.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I just want rid of the cape clips! Those things are distracting as hell! And, yeah, they're trying to hard to "bulk him up" with the suit. Give him the traditional trunks and tights and he should be fine. Of course if they really are just killing him off, I guess it doesn't matter, does it?
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    Tyler has been cast in some Netflix show.
    It's Netflix, and they film things fast and release all episodes online at once, so it probably doesn't mean he'll be too busy for a CW Superman series...but I sure hope he'll be too tied up. If WB agrees to let CW develop a full blown Superman series, say goodbye to Man of Steel 2 and any other Cavill-led Superman solo. They will not allow 2 competing versions of the same character.

"But Clark_Kent, what about Flash? He has a tv show and they allowed him to be in the movies and he's getting a solo" you might say. The Flash is a different situation. The TV show was developed and on air (and successful) prior to his film counterpart entering any plans at WB. "But Clark_Kent, what about Smallville? That was on air while they were making Superman Returns." Again, similar to the Flash, Smallville was allowed to continue during that time as long as Clark didn't wear the costume, and as long as the show abided with an embargo on certain characters. It also had the benefit of being a Clark Kent show and not a Superman show.

Better examples than Flash or Smallville would be specific off-limits characters to CW. Arrow was developing a Suicide Squad storyline, including Amanda Waller & even a Harley Quinn cameo, and when it was decided the Squad was getting a movie Arrow had to change course. More famously, Deathstroke was a popular villain who was on and off the table (currently off) as WB flip flops on him. Batman is not allowed to appear, so they use Batwoman instead (Gotham only exists on Fox because it's a Batman show without Batman). The point is, they have weird embargoes...but Superman is currently a part of the DCEU and does not have a show. If they allow CW to make one, that will mean they have no clue what to do with the Cavill version and that'll be the end of that.

That does not mean we wouldn't see Superman guest star in someone else's movie, or even in a hypothetical Justice League 2, but a standalone Superman movie? Nope. I suppose this would be good news if you already don't like the Cavill version, but for those of us who do...a Superman tv show would be kind of devastating at this point.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    It's Netflix, and they film things fast and release all episodes online at once, so it probably doesn't mean he'll be too busy for a CW Superman series...but I sure hope he'll be too tied up. If WB agrees to let CW develop a full blown Superman series, say goodbye to Man of Steel 2 and any other Cavill-led Superman solo. They will not allow 2 competing versions of the same character.

"But Clark_Kent, what about Flash? He has a tv show and they allowed him to be in the movies and he's getting a solo" you might say. The Flash is a different situation. The TV show was developed and on air (and successful) prior to his film counterpart entering any plans at WB. "But Clark_Kent, what about Smallville? That was on air while they were making Superman Returns." Again, similar to the Flash, Smallville was allowed to continue during that time as long as Clark didn't wear the costume, and as long as the show abided with an embargo on certain characters. It also had the benefit of being a Clark Kent show and not a Superman show.

Better examples than Flash or Smallville would be specific off-limits characters to CW. Arrow was developing a Suicide Squad storyline, including Amanda Waller & even a Harley Quinn cameo, and when it was decided the Squad was getting a movie Arrow had to change course. More famously, Deathstroke was a popular villain who was on and off the table (currently off) as WB flip flops on him. Batman is not allowed to appear, so they use Batwoman instead (Gotham only exists on Fox because it's a Batman show without Batman). The point is, they have weird embargoes...but Superman is currently a part of the DCEU and does not have a show. If they allow CW to make one, that will mean they have no clue what to do with the Cavill version and that'll be the end of that.

That does not mean we wouldn't see Superman guest star in someone else's movie, or even in a hypothetical Justice League 2, but a standalone Superman movie? Nope. I suppose this would be good news if you already don't like the Cavill version, but for those of us who do...a Superman tv show would be kind of devastating at this point.

Yeah, I agree with all this. I don't want a Superman show right now, especially NOT in the CW... I want good writers.. And I much prefer another solo Cavill Superman movie. Both can't exist at the same time. It dilutes the IP and divides the fandom too much.

But I'm hopeful there won't be a Superman show any time soon because Supergirl is basically a Superman show. She even borrows a lot of his villains and stories... Also, the Tyler Superman is a veteran who has fought some of his biggest enemies, so I really don't want a new Superman show like that. If we ever get another Superman show, I want it to be a brand new version of the character who goes to Metropolis for the first time and who meets Lois Lane for the first time, etc. His whole story. I hate the CW Superman, so if he gets a show, I definitely won't watch it.
    Last edited by stargazer01; 08-29-2018 at 11:30 AM.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

And I much prefer another solo Cavill Superman movie. Both can't exist at the same time. It dilutes the IP and divides the fandom too much.
    I've never, ever remotely understood this argument. The fandom is going to be at least as split over the movie Superman without an alternative - for that matter, not having had a mainstream alternative to such a radically different tone and take in decades is clearly the fuel for a lot of the 'division' - and Superman as an IP is gigantic and tremendously more than enough to support more than a movie or two per decade, especially when it's a clearly separate take rather than Krypton or Supergirl where a casual viewer might be uncertain as to the relationship with the films.
    Buh-bye

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    I've never, ever remotely understood this argument. The fandom is going to be at least as split over the movie Superman without an alternative - for that matter, not having had a mainstream alternative to such a radically different tone and take in decades is clearly the fuel for a lot of the 'division' - and Superman as an IP is gigantic and tremendously more than enough to support more than a movie or two per decade, especially when it's a clearly separate take rather than Krypton or Supergirl where a casual viewer might be uncertain as to the relationship with the films.
    I agree.

Honestly, I don't think the 'embargo' is such a big deal anymore. In the unlikely event that we ever get a Superman TV series, I seriously doubt it will affect the development of a Superman movie (the other way round is MUCH likelier!) But I think appearances on TV are likely to be less of an issue moving forward.

Fantastic Member

Yeah, I agree with all this. I don't want a Superman show right now, especially NOT in the CW... I want good writers.. And I much prefer another solo Cavill Superman movie. Both can't exist at the same time. It dilutes the IP and divides the fandom too much.

But I'm hopeful there won't be a Superman show any time soon because Supergirl is basically a Superman show. She even borrows a lot of his villains and stories... Also, the Tyler Superman is a veteran who has fought some of his biggest enemies, so I really don't want a new Superman show like that. If we ever get another Superman show, I want it to be a brand new version of the character who goes to Metropolis for the first time and who meets Lois Lane for the first time, etc His whole story. I hate the CW Superman, so if he gets a show, I definitely won't watch it.
    We had that already with "Lois & Clark", and more recently, with "Smallville", we had Clark meeting Lois for the first time, moving to Metropolis, and beginning his career at the Daily Planet. And "Smallville" ran for 10 years. Now that I think about it, we also had that with "The Adventures Of Superman". It's been a running theme through almost every TV series he's had. Time for a different approach.. I think a new Superman series that jumps right in with both feet with him as a seasoned hero will be a breath of fresh air, since that's something we've never gotten.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    I agree.

Honestly, I don't think the 'embargo' is such a big deal anymore. In the unlikely event that we ever get a Superman TV series, I seriously doubt it will affect the development of a Superman movie (the other way round is MUCH likelier!) But I think appearances on TV are likely to be less of an issue moving forward.
    Deathstroke & the Suicide Squad say hi. Also, if they didn't mind having competing versions of the same character at the same time, then why didn't they capitalize on Wonder Woman's success by introducing Diana on one of the shows? Surely she would bring in more viewers right now than Superman will.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Deathstroke & the Suicide Squad say hi. Also, if they didn't mind having competing versions of the same character at the same time, then why didn't they capitalize on Wonder Woman's success by introducing Diana on one of the shows? Surely she would bring in more viewers right now than Superman will.
    Now that Walter Hamada is in charge it could be the rules are loosening up. We may never see Wonder Woman on TV until we do. Legends of Tomorrow did have a scene where Helen of Troy was taken to Themyscira.
    Suicide Squad on Arrow was just a trail balloon to see if there was enough interest to make a Suicide Squad movie. In other word if WB wasn't considering a Suicide Squad movie, there might not have ever
    been a Suicide Squad on Arrow in the first place. Once Suicide Squad served its purpose on Arrow, it was no longer needed on Arrow. It could well be the Deathstroke on Arrow served a similar purpose.
    Or maybe Hamada will let Arrow use Deathstroke again after all. There was talk that we might not ever see Superman again on TV. And he was gone for the whole 3rd season of Supergirl because that was
    when Justice League came out. Remember Superman was dead in the movies during Supergirl's second season. But here Superman is again, and on three shows, so probably not just a cameo.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

This is one of the reasons I think they might kill him off. WB's "condition" for getting to use him may only be if they get rid of him for good so they aren't competing with each other. Make no mistake, I like this Superman and prefer it over the current movies. And would LOVE to see him get a new TV show ala Lois & Clark. But movies make more money than TV shows do and WB really needs the new movie-verse to work to compete with Marvel. If they have to choose, it's not that hard to figure out which one will get the axe.

Now, I don't necessarily see the two versions as "competing" with each other but WB might. People who don't like the movie version won't go see it. Which is kind of the situation they have now. This is sort of like saying a cartoon version and a live action version are "competing" with each other. They're two different formats. That having been said, I don't see him getting his own show anytime soon. At least not while Supergirl is still on the air.
    Assassinate Putin!

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    From the very beginning, the Supergirl TV show has struggled with trying to make her the star while also trying to contrive ways around not involving her cousin, whose entire shtick is being the World's Greatest Hero. They failed miserably at this in the first season, but they tried to solve this in the second by finally introducing Superman. They did a pretty good job of giving audiences a fast-forwarded nugget of their close relationship at the start of the season, but then whiffed it in the finale by giving us a great fight scene, but one that did a disservice to Superman in order to maintain Supergirl as the main star, as she should be since the show isn't called "Superman".

For the third season, they went back to completely ignoring him, which again felt like a cheat, so it makes sense that they'd want to bring back Superman one last time to course correct and give the character one last big adventure in which he can finally interact with The Flash, Green Arrow and the rest, then take him off the table for good in a way that gives their protagonist, Kara, some real emotional hooks to play with. The fact that the death of Superman has been overplayed is unfortunate, but killing him off is really the Supergirl TV show's best option to dig themselves out of the narrative hole they keep getting stuck in.

Another option is that Superman leaves the Earth on some long odyssey in which he won't return for an extended period of time, perhaps into space, the 30th Century, or an alternate Earth in Crisis that will become sealed off from the rest of the CW Multiverse. Either way, Supergirl co-existing on the same Earth as her cousin is no longer tenable.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    It's CW and logically you're going to want your premiere characters be the premiere heroes which sucks if you prefer Superman over Supergirl and leaves you to expect the worse for Superman.