Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

Default Are there any female super-scientists in the Marvel Universe?

I asked this same question over at the DC forum. Are there any female superheroes/supervillians out there for whom being a scientitst/inventor is a main part of their schtick?

Seems like there's oodles of guy mad-scientists and guy wonder-makers. The Leader. Mr. Fantastic. Iron Man. The Mad Thinker. The Wizard. Black Panther. GiAnt-Man. Spider-Man. Professor X. Forge. (the original) Baron Zemo. The Fixer. The list seems endless, but always...guys.

I'm not talking about characters that use technology they got from somebody else. I mean ladies whose power is essentially creating gizmos that qualify as superpowers.

The closest that I can think of is Moondragon. Others?

Valeria Richards, Moon Girl, Riri Williams, Nadia Pym.

Marvel recently tried making up for their lack of female super-scientists with creating the characters I've listed. The unfortunate thing is that most of them are teens or younger, there are hardly any adult female super-scientists. Hopefully they'll create more or elevate existing ones to that level to stop the sausage fest.
    Last edited by Crimz; 09-03-2018 at 12:25 PM.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I didn't count Riri and Nadia cuz...

"I'm not talking about characters that use technology they got from somebody else."

I wish Moira Mactaggert was still alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Valeria Richards, Moon Girl, Riri Williams, Nadia Pym.

Marvel recently tried making up for their lack of female super-scientists with creating the characters I've listed. The unfortunate thing is that most of them are teens or younger, there are hardly any adult female super-scientists. Hopefully they'll create more or elevate existing ones to that level to stop the sausage fest.
    However, the four you mentioned have ages when added up still don't reach my age. I'm older than all of them put together.

The loist here has a few others which may evoke discussion:
    https://comicvine.gamespot.com/profi...l-women/68434/

I'd also throw Nightshade (Tilda Johnson) into the mix as well.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    However, the four you mentioned have ages when added up still don't reach my age. I'm older than all of them put together.

The loist here has a few others which may evoke discussion:
    https://comicvine.gamespot.com/profi...l-women/68434/

I'd also throw Nightshade (Tilda Johnson) into the mix as well.
    I can see Shuri, but I'm not so sure about Sage. Her mutation makes her a natural computer (basically), but has she been pictured as the make-a-gizmo type?

Mockingbird's background as a scientist seems to have disappeared beneath her skill at whacking people with sticks.
    Last edited by DrNewGod; 09-03-2018 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I can see Shuri, but I'm not so sure about Sage. Her mutation makes her a natural computer (basically), but has she been pictured as the make-a-gizmo type?

Mockingbird's background as a scientist seems to have disappeared beneath her skill at whacking people with sticks.
    Mutations for brain power can be a tricky definition. Could an Eidetic Memory be considered a mutant ability?

As for Bobbi, my first experience with her goes back to Astonishing Tales where she still was primarily a scientist. It's easier for me to still look at her that way, I guess.

Superia is proficient in several scientific areas. If she is still around.
    "Age is not defined by years, but by regrets...I'm an old man now." --Fighting Yank, "Project Superpowers"

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post

"I'm not talking about characters that use technology they got from somebody else."

I wish Moira Mactaggert was still alive.
    Lol it's not like Tony and Hank gave them a working suit. They both had to learn how to built it in the first place. They have also built other stuff besides their suit.

Bobby (mockingbird) is a scientist but writer rarely write her as one.

The other is Amara aka the one who has figured out how to cure? Eliminate the x-gene. (The baby momma of Doom)

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post

Riri didn't get her tech from Stark, though. Didn't she figure it out on her own?
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Most of the ones I can think of are villains or former villains. Tilda Johnson (formerly Deadly Nightshade), Superia, Monica Rappaccini, June Covington (Toxic Doxie), Sunset Bain

For heroes there's Toni Ho and Komodo from the Initiative

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Riri didn't get her tech from Stark, though. Didn't she figure it out on her own?
    Riri built her own original suit, but after Stark went into a coma in CW2 he left her all of his tech her own and labs and she coopted his suit.

She's built another new suit partially based on alien technology since then.
    Last edited by Beetle; 09-03-2018 at 01:33 PM.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Could also throw in Miss Sinister, even if she is technically some kind of clone of Mister Sinister. Emma Frost, back in her initial days as a villain, built tech to enhance psychic abilities about on par with Charles Xavier's Cerebro if not better, which was how Mastermind was able to manipulate Phoenix-Jean through her dreams when his illusion powers had never directly affected someone's mind as opposed to their sensory perceptions before. Kavita Rao would be a good one to throw in, as someone who's extensively studied the mutant genome and ended up allied with the X-Men.

However, I would say that it's a bit of an issue, to say the least, that so many of the female super-scientists in Marvel are of incredibly morally dubious character, if not flat-out villains, while there are plenty of heroic male super-scientists to contrast with the villainous male super-scientists, even if some of them have their own issues as well.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Maria Vasquez, the female Tarantula, has knowledge in engineering and biology.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Maria Vasquez, the female Tarantula, has knowledge in engineering and biology.
    Thank you for mentioning her. I actually forgot, and I'm the guy who's obsessed with everything Spider-related in and outside Marvel.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Would Iso of the Inhuman qualify?
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    Would Iso of the Inhuman qualify?
    Yeah, Iso counts too.

I would also add Toni Ho, the daughter of Ho Yinsen.