Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default West Coast Avengers (2018) - #1

So the revival of the Team Book that was met with a lot of different opinions months before it even came out was released today.

How was it? Pretty damn good I'd say.

SPOILERS FROM HERE ON OUT!

What happened:
    The Book starts pretty much right off the bat with Action and has Kate call in pretty much everyone she knows, namely her Boyfriend, her best friend and her mentor while everyone else is busy or dead.
    After the initial action bit they all gather to actually form a Team and put out an ad for new Members. What follows reminds me a bit of the hiring process scene in Deadpool 2 (the Movie) only that it's actually pretty fun.
    Gwenpool and Quentin join the Team rather randomly but the latter at least brings the financial backup with him which the team needs... with a catch.
    Now as many of you already know the Book comes with a reality TV Show angle and even though I was skeptical at first the talking head-panels are actually pretty funny and reminded me a lot of those during Bendis Avengers run during the Heroic Age, which I loved.
    Before too long a new threat arises, namely giant Tigra and the Team isn't sure how to stop her without hurting her. But the arrival of B.R.O.D.O.K a cartoonish looking pretty boy might save them.
    The End.

My Opinion:
    The ties and the flair of Kelly Thompsons Hawkeye, which is pretty much the prequel to this, are definitely present but it's quite clear that this is another beast entirely with lots of different personalities clashing.
    What surprised me the most was that Clint actually gets to play the straight man role to an extent amidst a rather crazy cast and a slightly overwhelmed Kate Bishop struggling with the Leader Role.
    America is her typical self, the silent badass type and while I am not particulary fond of Quire and Gwenpool they at least don't take anything away from the book either.
    Oh and Fuse (you know, Kate's boyfriend) works pretty well as the relatable greenhorn so far.

A special shoutout to the artist. Not only does everything look really pretty but expressions and body language are also very in line with the different personalities.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

I mostly enjoyed this and will continue with the series, but there were some things I didn't care for. Love Thompson's dialogue, banter, characterization, and team interaction, and I mostly like the plot. I'm willing to give Gwenpool a chance, but it's really difficult for me to see her as anything but a gimmick. I like that it was hinted there is a reason Quentin isn't with the X-Men, but as someone who really enjoyed the latest volume of Gen X, it really bums me out that he isn't at the school. The reveal of BRODOK was just a bit too silly for me, less of that please. Caselli's art was beautiful, kinetic and expressive, but QQ in cargo shorts? No.

Quote Originally Posted by Matternativ View Post
    What follows reminds me a bit of the hiring process scene in Deadpool 2 (the Movie) only that it's actually pretty fun.
    That made me laugh.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

My first thoughts reading this story

Stefano Caselli's facial expressions are very good. Obviously, a bit over the top, but he does a great job selling the charm and humor in the story.

This was just a lot of fun. I'm coming into this in a weird position. I'm familiar with the characters but have pretty much read the stories for none of them. I was a fan of the original West Coast Avengers, which was designed to be a sillier, B-list version of the Avengers. I think this is definitely continuing that tradition.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

BANNED

To my surprise, I actually had a somewhat muted reaction to this issue.

As a huge fan of Thompson's Hawkeye, I expected to be really over the moon about this but I just...liked it.

It was good, I'll be reading the next issue, but I wasn't totally crazy about it.

That reveal at the end, though...hilarious!!

Astonishing Member Gambit, King of Thieves's Avatar

I love KT and Gwenpool in equal measure. So glad Gwen’s back.
    Cyclops was SO DAMN RIGHT, BABY
    Pull list: X-23, Mr. & Mrs. X, Extermination, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, Uncanny X-Men
    Have been informed that the Black Swans are "only seeking female members, but thank you very much for your time"

The Son of Suns Clairaudient Freedom Soldier's Avatar

Excellent first issue, wonderful and superb! I hope Camuncoli's Spider-Grifter joins the team.
    Take a couple of minutes and check out this new comic book, friends: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...no-more-crises

Encouraged to hear this is well-received. I'd really only pick it up for Clint.. Perhaps I'll wait for the first full arc to release to know how involved he is. But I'm more interested now than I was yesterday.

Astonishing Member

What's the cover price on this?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    What's the cover price on this?
    It's $4.99. Very few Marvel #1's are below that. More are above that price point than under it, recently.

Very fun issue! I love the chaotic and frazzled tone. Thompson's humor really clicks with me. The banter (which I always say in my head in George Constanza's voice: BANTA) was very charming.

If you've read and enjoyed Thompson before, you'll love this. She's really hit her stride here. Or if you like fun, character driven stories that lean into their silliness and offbeat tone, check this out. If you are looking for a super serious "realistic" comic, or tight ties to the original WCA, this might not be for you.

The only question: is Bread Boy or B.R.O.D.O.K the breakout character of 2018?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post
    It's $4.99. Very few Marvel #1's are below that. More are above that price point than under it, recently.

Very fun issue! I love the chaotic and frazzled tone. Thompson's humor really clicks with me. The banter (which I always say in my head in George Constanza's voice: BANTA) was very charming.

If you've read and enjoyed Thompson before, you'll love this. She's really hit her stride here. Or if you like fun, character driven stories that lean into their silliness and offbeat tone, check this out. If you are looking for a super serious "realistic" comic, or tight ties to the original WCA, this might not be for you.

The only question: is Bread Boy or B.R.O.D.O.K the breakout character of 2018?
    Okay thanks, yeah it seems that way, I'll be skipping it then, I'm not nearly invested in this concept to pay a price hike issue, ff 1 has totally put me off paying more than standard for any marvel book now, I'm not doing it again to the point I'll drop any series that has a price bump mid run too

if they did card stock covers like Dc did with metal I'd be more inclined

A pity coz it sounds fun

BANNED

Okay thanks, yeah it seems that way, I'll be skipping it then, I'm not nearly invested in this concept to pay a price hike issue, ff 1 has totally put me off paying more than standard for any marvel book now, I'm not doing it again to the point I'll drop any series that has a price bump mid run too

A glossy gimmick cover would be a better selling point? That is literally the last thing that would entice me to buy a book.

I don't mind paying extra for more content, but for a shinier cover, no.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    A glossy gimmick cover would be a better selling point? That is literally the last thing that would entice me to buy a book.

I don't mind paying extra for more content, but for a shinier cover, no.
    glossy gimmick wasn't my point, I like the card stock because it's more durable

My point about the dc books was these books will last me a lot longer than just a floppy, valiant did something g similar with some books, liked that too

Even if I board and bag everything, the card stock holds up longer on top of that when I want to reread them

I find marvel books are very thin paper wise, I'm not sure if it's the actual paper itself but they feel flimsier than other books I buy at the same 3.99 price point

A silly but fun launch, already has more personality than Avengers.

50 foot Tigra is unexpected and I get the feeling Gwenpool is gonna be the best thing in the book. Also, Clint is the straightman to the team's insanity feels like good ol' Hawkeye again but Thompson already got him down when he popped up in Kate's book.

Mighty Member

A pity coz it sounds fun
    No problem. I honestly don't see you reading much Marvel going forward. FF, Iron Man,Spider-Man,Venom, WCA, Captain America, Avengers, Punisher, Thor, Hulk (I'm pretty sure), all event books... All over $3.99. Maybe trades are the way to go... You're definitley not the only one finding the cost of monthlies off putting, especially considering trades come out a month or so after an arc ends, typically. I understand your stance, and I'm not trying to talk you out of it, but if you decide to spend extra on a book, this would be a good choice. There's very little like it on the stands.

I agree, for the extra price I think we should at least get the old, slightly thicker paper as a cover.