Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    Spectacular Member oldschoolfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Hercules probably has a lot of kids although I'm not sure Thor would, since aside from Aaron's depiction he's never struck me as the type to sleep around that much.
    A while back, Greg Pak wrote a Hercules In Memoriam book, Herc had died and people show up at the funeral. It dealt with this idea and the fact that Herc acknowledged the fact that he was a player and still made an effort to take care of those he had relationships with...Pak very rarely misses with me, I enjoy his work.

I can't remember the year but I am pretty sure it was pre 2010.
    I am committed to the idea that any work of art should be judged on its own merit, not on the behavior or beliefs of its author.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    I still very much would love one of the Big 2 to tackle this kind of story line in earnest, to be honest. It's really a missed opportunity on many levels that they don't and seemingly won't. I don't think the logistics of it are that compromising, considering some of the events they've done, and I can't help but think of the good that would come from it, including telling some stories and perspectives worthy of being told.

(If the "Vindicators" are who I think you are referring to, I'd love more of anything from them, to be honest!)

My local library system sometimes have runs of comics collected in their TPB forms, so I'll see if they have them and maybe place them on hold to read them, then.
    I totally agree. Hopefully one day that story will get told. With "Vindicators", I was really just looking for a generic, non-Marvel superhero team name but forgot about the Alpha Flight guys! I remain hopeful for a reboot of the classic Alpha Flight, also. Puck has popped up in random places, and he's currently hanging with Captain Marvel in space, but I haven't cared for the writers on Cap in years. I think most of the others have been brought back to life, if I'm not mistaken, so it's possible.

Do you live in the US? My state, Maryland, has a program called Marina. It's a inter-library loaning program that lets you borrow any book from any library system in the state. You can order books online and have them delivered to almost any library in the state. Public libraries, private libraries, colleges... It's amazing. Check something like it is available where you live.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Doctor Demonicus, IIRC, operates on the west coast, and is typically involved in 'rampaging monster' scenarios, so he's a possibility.
    Thats a possibility.He was one of the villains released by Electro at the start of New Avengers.
    Besides him,i am thinking MODOCK,Master Pandemonium or the Collector being the mystery villain of the West Coast Avengers.
    But i have to say without many clues in the first issue of WCA i canīt say for sure who is the villain.

I'm glad Gwen dislikes Quentin. I just hope Thompson doesn't do that tired thing where it turns into love. Ugh! Keep the animosity.

And I'd like some acknowledgement of Gwen's power to move between the frames of the stories. Obviously she shouldn't be using it freely as that would make her too OP for the kinds of stories Thompson seems to want to tell, but I don't want that power of Gwen to be forgotten.
    #EmmaWasRight

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NexusTenebrare View Post
    I'm glad Gwen dislikes Quentin. I just hope Thompson doesn't do that tired thing where it turns into love. Ugh! Keep the animosity.
    spoilers:
    I'm here to ruin your day
    WCAVEN2018004-cov.jpg

end of spoilers

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post
    I totally agree. Hopefully one day that story will get told. With "Vindicators", I was really just looking for a generic, non-Marvel superhero team name but forgot about the Alpha Flight guys! I remain hopeful for a reboot of the classic Alpha Flight, also. Puck has popped up in random places, and he's currently hanging with Captain Marvel in space, but I haven't cared for the writers on Cap in years. I think most of the others have been brought back to life, if I'm not mistaken, so it's possible.

Do you live in the US? My state, Maryland, has a program called Marina. It's a inter-library loaning program that lets you borrow any book from any library system in the state. You can order books online and have them delivered to almost any library in the state. Public libraries, private libraries, colleges... It's amazing. Check something like it is available where you live.
    (I wasn't even thinking Marvel; when I heard Vindicators, I was thinking Kevin Grevioux.)

I live in the US, and my local library system has a Inter-Library Loan program, where you can attempt to request a book and they'll try to get it from another library system. I've tried it about 3 times and got two successes, including David Walker's "Super Justice Force: The Adventures of Darius Logan" (it's a Superhero prose book and I recommend giving it a read; I'm hoping book 2 is still on track, actually). Though for them, the book needs to be at least 6 months old, which I learned when I requested something that was only 4 months.

Mighty Member

(I wasn't even thinking Marvel; when I heard Vindicators, I was thinking Kevin Grevioux.)

I live in the US, and my local library system has a Inter-Library Loan program, where you can attempt to request a book and they'll try to get it from another library system. I've tried it about 3 times and got two successes, including David Walker's "Super Justice Force: The Adventures of Darius Logan" (it's a Superhero prose book and I recommend giving it a read; I'm hoping book 2 is still on track, actually). Though for them, the book needs to be at least 6 months old, which I learned when I requested something that was only 4 months.
    Hah, that's funny.. just shows how hard it is to come up with something that hasn't been used before.

I'm glad you have access to a system like that. Lots of states have it but not many people seem to know about it. I'll look out for that Walker book. He's hit or miss for me but I might like his prose more than his comics work.

Ultimate Member

Your library had it????

I had to buy a copy from Amazon.

I'm glad you have access to a system like that. Lots of states have it but not many people seem to know about it. I'll look out for that Walker book. He's hit or miss for me but I might like his prose more than his comics work.
    To be honest to me from the reading of it I have done (Still not finished yet)-it reads like if you took a powerless Static or Rayshuan (Patriot) have them in a version of Young Justice but they work for Justice League. It's more of you see him see the other side of the heroes while working with other teens.

Walker can write-however his better work is OUTSIDE of Marvel & DC. Check out Number 13-a book about a Cyborg black kid in an dead world. Dynamite's Shaft were good.

Darius Logan would work as a comic with Lion Forge not the Big Two.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Your library had it????

To be honest to me from the reading of it I have done (Still not finished yet)-it reads like if you took a powerless Static or Rayshuan (Patriot) have them in a version of Young Justice but they work for Justice League. It's more of you see him see the other side of the heroes while working with other teens.

Walker can write-however his better work is OUTSIDE of Marvel & DC. Check out Number 13-a book about a Cyborg black kid in an dead world. Dynamite's Shaft were good.

I've heard his Shaft is really good. It got nominated for a bunch of awards iirc. It's on my enormous list of things to read eventually.

I wanted to like his Cyborg but it just never clicked. I'm thinking he's on the short list of creators who might get the new Miles ongoing.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    spoilers:
    I'm here to ruin your day
    WCAVEN2018004-cov.jpg

end of spoilers
    Eww.
    If that cover is accurate to the contents of the comic, I'm losing a lot of respect for Kelly Thompson right there.
    Bad enough to include Quire, but to pair up an awesome character like Gwen with him? No. Might make me drop the book alltogether.
    #EmmaWasRight

Astonishing Member

Hah, that's funny.. just shows how hard it is to come up with something that hasn't been used before.

Between his DC's Cyborg and his Marvel's Nighthawk and Occupy Avengers, and his current Lion Forge's Superb (love Superb!), I've become quite smitten with the author.

I'd say definitely give Super Justice Force: The Adventures of Darius Logan prose a try.

Your library had it????

No, my library system did not have it. That was the problem, and that's what led me to use the Inter-library Loan feature (that I saw in passing but never really thought much about) for the first time.

It was after you mentioned it, in passing, as a prose fiction of David Walker's. I checked it out late last year, and even read a few chapters he had up (they're gone now ). I had the mind to read it again recently, so I looked for it, and it wasn't in my Library System's database. That's when I thought try the Inter-library loan. It worked (I think it came from Washington State? Or one that started with O? Or an M? Can't remember.)

As you may have guessed I loved the book! It's meant to continue in the next installment and leaves off like you expect a part 1 to do. I would like to email David Walker and sing his praises and ask/beg for book 2 at some point.

I would say Darius' character is a lot more 'shell-shocked veteran' than either Rayshaun or Virgil. He was very introverted, and not necessarily of the healthy, functioning variety like Miles is meant to be.

In fact, and this is a real spoiler, end of book spoiler, so do not read it if you want to read the book for yourself or need to finish it first and honestly intend to, spoilers:
    he still suffers from it by the end of the first book, but by that point, he comes to realize that he doesn't want to suffer from suicidal loneliness and solitude, even though he is now at eminent risk of doing so if he doesn't make a serious effort to change from that point going forward.
    end of spoilers

It is like viewing the Avengers or the Justice League from an inside perspective though. It's quite cool and also very poignant at the same time.

I'll look into Number 13. Not sure if it'll truly be to my fancy, but I won't know 'til I give it look-see.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by NexusTenebrare View Post
    Eww.
    If that cover is accurate to the contents of the comic, I'm losing a lot of respect for Kelly Thompson right there.
    Bad enough to include Quire, but to pair up an awesome character like Gwen with him? No. Might make me drop the book alltogether.
    Word is she wanted Hellion (and Laura). She had to make due with Quentin. She's making the best with what she's got. I wouldn't let that sour you too much and still give it a shot, with as much an open mind as you can muster, Quentin aside.

Word is she wanted Hellion (and Laura). She had to make due with Quentin. She's making the best with what she's got. I wouldn't let that sour you too much and still give it a shot, with as much an open mind as you can muster, Quentin aside.
    Would have loved to get Laura but I could do without Hellion anywhere near her for sure.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

Mighty Member

Between his DC's Cyborg and his Marvel's Nighthawk and Occupy Avengers, and his current Lion Forge's Superb (love Superb!), I've become quite smitten with the author.

I'd say definitely give Super Justice Force: The Adventures of Darius Logan prose a try.

No, my library system did not have it. That was the problem, and that's what led me to use the Inter-library Loan feature (that I saw in passing but never really thought much about) for the first time.

It was after you mentioned it, in passing, as a prose fiction of David Walker's. I checked it out late last year, and even read a few chapters he had up (they're gone now ). I had the mind to read it again recently, so I looked for it, and it wasn't in my Library System's database. That's when I thought try the Inter-library loan. It worked (I think it came from Washington State? Or one that started with O? Or an M? Can't remember.)

As you may have guessed I loved the book! It's meant to continue in the next installment and leaves off like you expect a part 1 to do. I would like to email David Walker and sing his praises and ask/beg for book 2 at some point.

I would say Darius' character is a lot more 'shell-shocked veteran' than either Rayshaun or Virgil. He was very introverted, and not necessarily of the healthy, functioning variety like Miles is meant to be.

In fact, and this is a real spoiler, end of book spoiler, so do not read it if you want to read the book for yourself or need to finish it first and honestly intend to, spoilers:
    he still suffers from it by the end of the first book, but by that point, he comes to realize that he doesn't want to suffer from suicidal loneliness and solitude, even though he is now at eminent risk of doing so if he doesn't make a serious effort to change from that point going forward.
    end of spoilers

It is like viewing the Avengers or the Justice League from an inside perspective though. It's quite cool and also very poignant at the same time.

I'll look into Number 13. Not sure if it'll truly be to my fancy, but I won't know 'til I give it look-see.
    I will check that prose book out for sure, thanks! I forgot about Nighthawk, I really liked that one. My favorite work of his for sure.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matternativ View Post
    Would have loved to get Laura but I could do without Hellion anywhere near her for sure.
    On the flipside, I'm 'come and go' as far as Laura is concerned, but I would have loved to have gotten Hellion/Julian. He grew on me back when he was actually allowed to get focus, and is a pretty nuanced guy when it comes down to it. (I remember when they said he had potential as a Phoenix host during a moment when we saw how powerful and precise Hellion could actually be, which was cool foreshadowing, before Quentin was made to take up that "greatness".) He's had almost nothing outside 2 small moments at 2 different points during Uncanny Avengers' run. Otherwise, we only see him in passing background cameos in X-books that feature the school setting, and even that much isn't a guarantee.

So yeah, I would have loved to have had Hellion on the team!

I will check that prose book out for sure, thanks! I forgot about Nighthawk, I really liked that one. My favorite work of his for sure.
    Glad to hear you will!